Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: 1987 Revisited: Twins Upset Tigers

1987 world series detroit tigers minnesota twins kent hrbek
  • Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#21 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 03:21 PM

Herndon must have been dinged up, but I couldn't find anything on that.  That's the only explanation I can think of for pinch-running a pitcher for an OF with decent speed, which Herndon was.

I haven't found anything that directly says Herndon was pulled because of injury but in January 1988, an article insinuated that Herndon was a "sore-legged" DH and "it remains to be seen if he can run well enough" to occasionally play OF. So he must have been in bad shape if he was not running well enough to be lifted for a pitcher and nobody addresses that fact in their gamer.

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#22 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 9,998 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:30 PM

Since no one knows/responding... It's Jack Morris. 

It finally occurred to me what happened: Detroit had used pinch hitter Larry Herndon for the DH Dave Bergman. By taking out Herndon, the Tigers would lose their DH for the remainder of the game. I suppose Sparky did not want to lose another potential bench player in the event the game went into extra innings.

They would only lose the DH if they moved Herndon to a defensive position.Grubb, Heath, Madlock, and Morrison would have still been on the bench when Morris pinch-ran.Morris also had 2 pinch running appearances during the 1987 season, and 7 in 1983 and 8 in 1980! But only one other pinch running appearance outside those 3 seasons that I can identify (1979) from B-Ref (although it wouldn't surprise me if those records weren't complete).

The Tigers did lose the DH late in Game 2 that series, with starting catcher Mike Heath being removed for pinch hitter Johnny Grubb, and DH Matt Nokes shifting to catcher in the 8th inning.  Interestingly, since no relief pitcher was used, starter Jack Morris was simply inserted into the lineup in Heath/Grubb's spot in the middle of the 8th inning (and did not wind up taking a turn at bat).

#23 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 9,998 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 02:39 PM

In regards to Sparky and the DH, I stumbled upon this at Wikipedia, referencing a game just before the Twins-Tigers series in 1987:

On September 26, 1987, Detroit Tigers designated hitter Darrell Evans moved to first base in the bottom of the seventh inning in a game against the Toronto Blue Jays, causing pitcher Mike Henneman to be inserted into the first baseman's spot in the batting order. Henneman batted for himself in the ninth, but struck out attempting to bunt. The Blue Jays scored three runs in the bottom of the ninth to win the game 10–9 in the midst of a pennant race, with Henneman taking the loss.

That was the last Toronto victory of the 1987 season.  It put the Tigers 3.5 games back with 8 to play -- and they wound up finishing in first, 2 games ahead, thanks to the Blue Jays 7 game losing streak!

• Oldgoat_MN likes this

#24 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:13 PM

They would only lose the DH if they moved Herndon to a defensive position.

So it must have been that Herndon's legs were so bad at that time that Sparky would remove him for Morris while saving his bench bats.

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#25 IndianaTwin

IndianaTwin

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:34 PM

Evans pick off was a defining moment in my marriage. Married just over a year, my wife went to bed in our tiny mobile home in the middle of the eighth, saying "keep it down out there." When he got nabbed I instinctively leaped off the couch and let out a yell that probably woke the neighbors. I immediately raced to the bedroom and asked for forgiveness. I'm so lucky to have married her.

• birdwatcher, Kevin, Craig Arko and 1 other like this

#26 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 5,832 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 08:00 PM

They would only lose the DH if they moved Herndon to a defensive position.Grubb, Heath, Madlock, and Morrison would have still been on the bench when Morris pinch-ran.Morris also had 2 pinch running appearances during the 1987 season, and 7 in 1983 and 8 in 1980!  .

Good catch.

That might actually be a good idea for the Twins, to find a starting pitcher willing to pinch run for a DH (for example, Sano's DH-ing with a bad hammy). Situation depending, of course. That way you don't commit a Nunez or Santana to PR then possibly meet a poor matchup later in game, causing you to lose an out to a poor match up, or lose the player to a pinch hitter.
When I hear a pitcher is throwing a “simulated game” my first thought is that he repeated the opposing lineup 10,000 times. - Jonathan Judge

#27 David HK

David HK

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,807 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 16 October 2015 - 06:45 AM

Please write that book! I'll buy a copy.

And regarding that "welcoming party"; I was there. It was one of the most intense emotional Twins-related experiences in my life. I get misty just thinking about it.

Ahhh, yeah.... me too!  Hey!  I didn't see you there!!

Yes, it was a great trip down memory lane, this article-  big thanks to Parker.  It's kind of bittersweet this stuff all happened in the pre-digital age.  I don't know where I might have photos of that night anymore--  but on the other hand, there are a few select memories for which I'm glad there was no camera around!  

• Parker Hageman and birdwatcher like this

#28 Doomtints

Doomtints

Doom By Design | Tints By Joe™

• Members
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 10:34 AM

I strongly recommend that everyone watches Game 7 of the 87 World Series.  It's a great game.  it is available to watch on youtube and occasionally on mlb.com.  

During the game, the broadcasters kept putting up data on the screen to back up their repeated assertions that the Twins were going to lose.

The ace Frank Viola was pitching, but he had nothing.  He was out of gas and had poor control.  The position players figured this out early on and played the best defensive game of their careers.  Like Puckett said, "We just decided we weren't going to lose."

#29 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 10:49 AM

The ace Frank Viola was pitching, but he had nothing.He was out of gas and had poor control.

Was this pre-game talk? Because watching not long ago, it seems that Al Michaels and Tim McCarver were enamored by his performance in Game 7. He did get smacked around in Game 4 in St. Louis pretty good so maybe there was some residual effect from that.

#30 Doomtints

Doomtints

• Members
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:18 AM

Was this pre-game talk? Because watching not long ago, it seems that Al Michaels and Tim McCarver were enamored by his performance in Game 7. He did get smacked around in Game 4 in St. Louis pretty good so maybe there was some residual effect from that.

No, that's my interpretation from watching the game a couple of months ago.

Viola let 2 runs go in the 2nd inning and after that the Cardinals were shut out.  But watch the game instead of listening to the announcers -- that was a defensive stop and not Viola being dominant.  When I re-watched the game for the first time I was truly impressed by the defense on that team.

I don't want to digress this topic too much.  We can carry on this conversation elsewhere.

#31 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:32 AM

No, that's my interpretation from watching the game a couple of months ago.

Viola let 2 runs go in the 2nd inning and after that the Cardinals were shut out.  But watch the game instead of listening to the announcers -- that was a defensive stop and not Viola being dominant.  When I re-watched the game for the first time I was truly impressed by the defense on that team.

I don't want to digress this topic too much.  We can carry on this conversation elsewhere.

The thing that struck me about Game 7 is how bad the officiating was. There was the botched rundown as well as the missed Don Baylor play at the plate. 

• Doomtints likes this

#32 spanman2

spanman2

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 01:38 PM

October 24th 1987 my dad remarried after having been widowed for 5+ years.I was a 10 year old kid in Fulda, MN staying up late watching the game at a relatives awaiting a move to South Central PA where my dad was with my new step-mom.It was their wedding day and years later my dad and I were reminiscing about the '87 Series.You talk about certain plays etc.His most 'memorable' moment was hoping he didn't 'end his marriage' before it began by watching game 6 on his wedding night!His excuse was 'these things just don't happen every day'.I guess you could say that is true about getting married and watching our beloved Twins in the World Series!Nearly 4 years later I was a 14 year old staying up late watching the ALCS/World Series games cheering loudly and waking up the step-mother.I think the old man used the same excuse in 91 as he did in 87.  Baseball and sports are a beautiful thing!  I have a 3.5 year old son and hope he gains that enjoyment of the Twins staying up late and driving his mom crazy by doing so.   

• Parker Hageman and big dog like this
I WAS TOLD I WOULD NEVER MAKE IT BECAUSE I AM TOO SHORT. WELL, I'M STILL TOO SHORT. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR HEIGHT IS. IT'S WHAT'S IN YOUR HEART.

KIRBY PUCKETT

#33 Han Joelo

Han Joelo

• Members
  • 495 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 01:57 PM

Just want add my thanks, Parker. I wouldn't be a Twins fan without '87, or probably even a baseball fan, although Kirk Gibson helped cement that--was his Dodger moment the next year?

#34 Doomtints

Doomtints

• Members
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 02:49 PM

October 24th 1987 my dad remarried after having been widowed for 5+ years.I was a 10 year old kid in Fulda, MN staying up late watching the game at a relatives awaiting a move to South Central PA where my dad was with my new step-mom.It was their wedding day and years later my dad and I were reminiscing about the '87 Series.You talk about certain plays etc.His most 'memorable' moment was hoping he didn't 'end his marriage' before it began by watching game 6 on his wedding night!His excuse was 'these things just don't happen every day'.I guess you could say that is true about getting married and watching our beloved Twins in the World Series!Nearly 4 years later I was a 14 year old staying up late watching the ALCS/World Series games cheering loudly and waking up the step-mother.I think the old man used the same excuse in 91 as he did in 87.  Baseball and sports are a beautiful thing!  I have a 3.5 year old son and hope he gains that enjoyment of the Twins staying up late and driving his mom crazy by doing so.   

Cool story.

I was in the process of moving out of Minnesota during the playoffs.  For the Detroit series we were still in MN.  For the first half of the WS we were looking for a home in our new state.  We were back in town for the final win.  I left the state as a living resident for good the day after Thanksgiving.  

Fun times, and this was the perfect conclusion to living in Minnesota as a big Twins fan.  

Edited by Doomtints, 12 October 2016 - 02:50 PM.

#35 TwinsCD

TwinsCD

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:38 PM

As the post-game celebration continued -- with the Twins’ roster and coaching staff dripping in champagne and cheap beer -- KARE11, the local NBC affiliate broadcasting the game, notified viewers that the team would host a welcoming party that night at the Metrodome. The gates would be opening at 9 PM.

In the linked video below, that crawl ran BEFORE Reardon delivered the final pitch.  A bit ballsy by the powers-that-be at KARE back then.

https://www.youtube....h?v=_S2pZ6QGtg0

#36 Old Twins Cap

Old Twins Cap

• Members
  • 405 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 08:14 PM

Ahhh, weep for those days.Gaetti hopping like a chicken after the Evans pick off.Hits from up and down the line up.A stopper.The starters.Defense.Youth.Home grown. The underdogs become champions.

Weep for those days.

#37 David HK

David HK

Rochester Red Wings

• Members
  • 1,807 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:02 PM

I watched that game 5 with pals at Stub & Herbs-  what a game!  And that night at the Dome, when the team returned to a full house- wow, one of my favorite sports memories of all time.  It was a special time, and a special team.  I gotta find those old photos from that rally sometime-  if I do, I'll post 'em here.  If anybody else has some, please do the same!

• Parker Hageman likes this

#38 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 1,060 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:21 PM

Parker, I love your writing. If you wrote a book I'd buy it in a second.
  • Parker Hageman and Doomtints like this
I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#39 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 08:39 AM

I watched that game 5 with pals at Stub & Herbs-  what a game!  And that night at the Dome, when the team returned to a full house- wow, one of my favorite sports memories of all time.  It was a special time, and a special team.  I gotta find those old photos from that rally sometime-  if I do, I'll post 'em here.  If anybody else has some, please do the same!

I would love to see pics from any of those games/celebrations. People definitely need to share some of those.

#40 Blake

Blake

Super Duper Senior Member

• Members
  • 1,912 posts
  • LocationBakersfield CA

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:30 AM

My then wife and I went to the Metrodome for the welcome home party. The people at the Metrodome later told me (I did some contract work at the Metrodome for a while and got to know a few of the people who worked there) they were stunned at the crowd that showed up to welcome the Twins back from Detroit.

• Parker Hageman and Doomtints like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1987 world series, detroit tigers, minnesota twins, kent hrbek