Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Hicks

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:56 PM

Very quietly Hicks has closed out his frist half of the AA season with pretty respectable numbers. He now has a .271/358/433 line and has already tied his career high with 8 HR, also he has 18 SB and from all reports is already major league ready defensively. Once upon a time not to long ago Hicks was the clear #1 in the Twins system and is still relatively young at 22. It seems like most of the love these days is going towards the Sano/Arcia/Rosario Trio, but with Hicks emergence the Twins now have 5 guys (including Buxton) who should most certainly crack the majority of the top 100 lists heading into next season. (I'd also add that Gibson IMO is still a top 100 guy the second he gets back from the injury) What are the odds that Hicks can be on the Twins major league roster by next May?

#2 MilwaukeeTwins

MilwaukeeTwins

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:19 PM

Don't sell him short, I'm seeing .275/.365/.446 with 9 homers and 19 SB. Personally, I think he's still the Twins top prospect.

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,489 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:29 PM

I had him as my #4 Twins prospect but it had more to do with the guys in front of him. He's really a good prospect. He's putting it together, and don't look now, but his splits are evening out as well (LH/RH).

#4 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:29 PM

Hicks needs to be added to the 40 man roster this winter, so he will be a Sept callup .....not May of next yr. That could be when he is called up for his first 'real' shot tho.

#5 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:39 PM

I've been pleasantly surprised with Hicks the last several weeks. As Seth noted, the splits -- which had been a big issue -- are beginning to even out. That's a major factor in his development, in my opinion. I'm not ready to see him in a Twins uniform this season, but maybe he'll be a Sept. call-up.
Andrew Walter
Twins Fan From Afar
Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
http://twinsfanfroma...gspot.com<br />Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

#6 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:48 PM

Does this enter into the decision that must be made on Span? If Hicks had not developed this year or even regressed would that have changed the organizations view of what to do with Span? Personally I will always take the proven commodity over the unproven. At this point we hope that Hicks will turn into a younger version of Span. I would not trade Span unless we get a deal for a pitcher or two that we just can't turn down. I can understand if he is traded, but that is not a route I would take.

#7 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:06 PM

Does this enter into the decision that must be made on Span? If Hicks had not developed this year or even regressed would that have changed the organizations view of what to do with Span?

Personally I will always take the proven commodity over the unproven. At this point we hope that Hicks will turn into a younger version of Span. I would not trade Span unless we get a deal for a pitcher or two that we just can't turn down. I can understand if he is traded, but that is not a route I would take.

I would say this definitely is related. Just about the time that Hicks was inserted into the leadoff spot, June 20, the Rock Cats have been on a 16-4 run. His July numbers are sizzling: 395/477/684/1161.

#8 Mchans24

Mchans24

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:11 PM

AA to big leagues can go very quickly, we should see him late this year especially if Benson continues to be hurt/bad. If Span is traded he gets a real shot to be every day CF next year.

#9 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:27 PM

AA to big leagues can go very quickly, we should see him late this year especially if Benson continues to be hurt/bad. If Span is traded he gets a real shot to be every day CF next year.

Hicks in CF over Revere? Without having seen him play I'm giving the edge to Revere for CF, plus Hicks's arm plays better in RF. I've been impressed with Hicks lately. He seems to have turned some kind of corner like we've seen others do in AA. Hopefully this is for real and not just a hot streak. I still give the edge to Benson to start with the Twins, but Hicks is making a nice case. Benson just needs some time to get back into the groove.

#10 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:39 PM

Hicks in CF over Revere? Without having seen him play I'm giving the edge to Revere for CF, plus Hicks's arm plays better in RF. I've been impressed with Hicks lately. He seems to have turned some kind of corner like we've seen others do in AA. Hopefully this is for real and not just a hot streak. I still give the edge to Benson to start with the Twins, but Hicks is making a nice case. Benson just needs some time to get back into the groove.

I just checked his stats within a day of when he moved into the leadoff spot on June 20: 354/433/632. It will be interesting to find out who gets the Sep. call-ups and who gets thrown in as sweeteners in July and August trades. If the Twins stick with Revere, he has to end up full-time in CF eventually. I could see Willingham begin to transition to more DH duties in '13 and especially '14 if any of the above, plus Arcia, begin to project being ready to stick on the ML roster. Personally, I'd like to see all 3, plus Revere and Willingham, no later than 2014, but that doesn't work when Gardy says you must have 3 catchers. It probably means someone ends up as the odd man out, and we might find out sooner rather than later.

#11 Mchans24

Mchans24

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:55 PM

I think Benson is the only guy they would consider throwing in as a sweetener at this point and his value is at a low. Yes, I thought about Revere vs Hicks in CF I don't think you go wrong either way. If you look to 2014 you have to expect Revere in left, Hicks in CF and Sano in RF if everything works out, so why play Hicks and Revere out of position for a year. Hicks/sano provide enough power to make up for Revere playing corner outfield position. I know I'm getting way ahead of myself there but trying to think long term.

#12 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,110 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:00 PM

I think Benson is the only guy they would consider throwing in as a sweetener at this point and his value is at a low. Yes, I thought about Revere vs Hicks in CF I don't think you go wrong either way. If you look to 2014 you have to expect Revere in left, Hicks in CF and Sano in RF if everything works out, so why play Hicks and Revere out of position for a year. Hicks/sano provide enough power to make up for Revere playing corner outfield position. I know I'm getting way ahead of myself there but trying to think long term.

Willingham? 2014 is last year of his contract. Things would have to work out really well to see Sano in RF in 2014. I think he ends up at 1B. Arcia is gone in your scenario?

Edited by jokin, 09 July 2012 - 11:03 PM.

#13 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 2,430 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:05 PM

I'm not sure if there has ever been a prospect that caused fans emotions to swing as high or low as Hicks due to hot/cold streaks. Now if he can just avoid that ice cold streak. Imo there is no reason to call up Hicks/Arcia this year due to the sad truth of baseball economics. Hopefully we don't have to wait for the super 2 deadline to pass next summer though for Hicks. I would be surprised if Arcia was up before then.

#14 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,685 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:39 AM

Hicks seems to have done a better job avoiding the ice streak... lots of 1/4 in his slumps instead of 0/4... that said, his emergence has me liking their future OF of Hicks/Arcia/Benson, all of which could be above average offensively and defensively. I'm not quite ready to give up on Joe just yet, though he's pretty clearly not ready for the show... I'm guessing Hicks is similar... I'd simply move him to Rochester next season and find some filler in 2013 if Span is traded. If Benson, Hicks, and Arcia are all hitting well next season, you have reason to trade Revere and get two of them playing every day.

#15 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,050 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:00 AM

Hicks has more upside than Span because he could/should have double digit home run power. It also looks like he could be a bigger force on the bases than Denard. The question is whether a big league team can have an OF with both Revere and Hicks in it. If Hicks can get 45-50 XBH, it would be doable and would make it tough to hit the gaps with great range from both Hicks and Revere.

#16 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,050 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:03 AM

Mentioning a Hicks/Revere combo in the OF brings me to the dream of having a starting OF of Benson, Revere, and Hicks. It would be fun to see three center fielders patrolling the big outfield in Minnesota.

#17 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,779 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

Mentioning a Hicks/Revere combo in the OF brings me to the dream of having a starting OF of Benson, Revere, and Hicks. It would be fun to see three center fielders patrolling the big outfield in Minnesota.

At this point, I'd be happy if Benson just became the weaker half of a RF platoon split.

#18 twinscowboysbulls

twinscowboysbulls

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:05 AM

This.

It's going to be fun in a few years to watch young speedy outfielders with pretty exceptional arms (sans Revere) at TF. I believe the days of the fleet footed Willinghams,Youngs and Cuddyers in the OF are nearly over. I think people in the organization are starting to realize that oufield defense and pitching need to be two of our strengths at TF after playing there for a couple of seasons now. I guess if the pitching improved(k-rates/gb-rates) then the outfield defense wouldn't be such an issue.

By 2015 we could see any number of these OF'ers patrolling the grounds at TF, which would be exciting. (Span, Revere, Hicks, Arcia, Benson, Buxton, + the possibility of Rosario returning to the OF still exists.)

Personally, I would love to see Revere/Hicks/Benson soon, and by 2016 the idea of Benson/Buxton/Hicks makes me salivate.

#19 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:04 AM

It seems like almost every poster in this thread has ignored Arcia. I would be much more excited about a Arcia, Hicks, Benson outfield in 2014. If Revere is one of the starters in 2014 he will have proven me very wrong, or one of the other prospects must have fizzled out

#20 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,050 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:27 PM

This.

It's going to be fun in a few years to watch young speedy outfielders with pretty exceptional arms (sans Revere) at TF. I believe the days of the fleet footed Willinghams,Youngs and Cuddyers in the OF are nearly over. I think people in the organization are starting to realize that oufield defense and pitching need to be two of our strengths at TF after playing there for a couple of seasons now. I guess if the pitching improved(k-rates/gb-rates) then the outfield defense wouldn't be such an issue.

By 2015 we could see any number of these OF'ers patrolling the grounds at TF, which would be exciting. (Span, Revere, Hicks, Arcia, Benson, Buxton, + the possibility of Rosario returning to the OF still exists.)

Personally, I would love to see Revere/Hicks/Benson soon, and by 2016 the idea of Benson/Buxton/Hicks makes me salivate.

The Benson, Buxton, Hickses of the world also offer something we have seen precious little of for a long time. Those guys figure to be able change or win a ballgame with their legs, their bats, and their arms. We have seen so many guys with one tool of speed or power it would be nice to see guys who can run AND hit with power--not necessarily 40 homers, but double digits and the same for stolen bases and taking extra bases. My personal pet peeve is seeing outfielders cheating in on Twins' less than power hitters--Carroll, Revere, Punto etc.--and that is compounded when a Morneau or Doumit gets on base and can't take an extra base ever.

#21 rinkratfrits

rinkratfrits

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

It seems like almost every poster in this thread has ignored Arcia. I would be much more excited about a Arcia, Hicks, Benson outfield in 2014. If Revere is one of the starters in 2014 he will have proven me very wrong, or one of the other prospects must have fizzled out

I'm with you alarp. Revere should keep improving so we can trade him in the next 2 years. That's where his value will be IMO.

#22 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,685 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

I'm with you. Revere is playing well enough that we could get something decent for Span, but if Revere is here in 2014, he's a fourth OF. When these guys are ready, Revere either gets traded (if he has value) or he settles into being one of the better 4th OFs in the game. Arcia, I should note, was a CF up until recently too, so it isn't as though he's a Cuddy type runner out there.

#23 tobynotjason

tobynotjason

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:49 PM

Re: Hicks's splits "evening out".

The batted ball profiles are still quite different RH v. LH. He just doesn't square the ball up much from the left [edit for brainfart] side, and most of his value there has come from walking a ton.

Unfortunately, his K/AB (a far better measure than K/PA for evaluating/projecting minor league hitting talent) from the left [edit for brainfart] side is sitting at 28.4% thus far in 2012, which is well above the red flag line. When you have whiffage like that, BB numbers tend to disappear as you climb the levels barring elite power, which he's not close to showing (as a LHB [edit for brainfart]). The fact that he's maintained the super-elite walk rate in his jump to AA is certainly worth noting, but the gap in pitchers' command between AA and MLB is huge. Still just 22 though...

Edited by tobynotjason, 10 July 2012 - 01:28 PM.

#24 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,838 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:15 PM

Hicks

Big-city snobs.

See? Two can play at this game.

#25 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

Re: Hicks's splits "evening out".

The batted ball profiles are still quite different RH v. LH. He just doesn't square the ball up much from the right side, and most of his value there has come from walking a ton.

Unfortunately, his K/AB (a far better measure than K/PA for evaluating/projecting minor league hitting talent) from the right side is sitting at 28.4% thus far in 2012, which is well above the red flag line. When you have whiffage like that, BB numbers tend to disappear as you climb the levels barring elite power, which he's not close to showing (as a RHB). The fact that he's maintained the super-elite walk rate in his jump to AA is certainly worth noting, but the gap in pitchers' command between AA and MLB is huge. Still just 22 though...

It's still a significant improvement over what he has shown in the past. He has a long way to go but at least he's not pulling a Joe Benson right now.

#26 tobynotjason

tobynotjason

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

It's still a significant improvement over what he has shown in the past. He has a long way to go but at least he's not pulling a Joe Benson right now.

No, it isn't. Last year his K/AB as a LHB was 27.5%.

(If you meant something else, apologies, but his awful K/AB ratio was the point/raison d'etre of my post. Certainly he is squaring up a bit more [15.9 v. 12.7%] v. RHP [apologies for the "as" vs. "vs" brainfarts above] on balls in play, but his overall profile v. RHP right now doesn't project well at all.)

Edited by tobynotjason, 10 July 2012 - 01:28 PM.

#27 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 01:57 PM

No, it isn't. Last year his K/AB as a LHB was 27.5%.

(If you meant something else, apologies, but his awful K/AB ratio was the point/raison d'etre of my post. Certainly he is squaring up a bit more [15.9 v. 12.7%] v. RHP [apologies for the "as" vs. "vs" brainfarts above] on balls in play, but his overall profile v. RHP right now doesn't project well at all.)

I meant that when he makes contact, the ball is going further than it did in previous seasons. Also, the increased patience is an improvement. It's often one that doesn't stick but, again, at least he isn't going the other direction. He's still only 22. There's a lot to be positive about with his current play even if he hasn't sorted out all his problems against righties.

#28 Mchans24

Mchans24

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:02 PM

This post has taught me we have a TON of talented outfielders!! Do we trade any for talented arms sometime soon?

#29 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 09:38 PM

Very quietly Hicks has closed out his frist half of the AA season with pretty respectable numbers.

He now has a .271/358/433 line and has already tied his career high with 8 HR, also he has 18 SB and from all reports is already major league ready defensively.

Once upon a time not to long ago Hicks was the clear #1 in the Twins system and is still relatively young at 22. It seems like most of the love these days is going towards the Sano/Arcia/Rosario Trio, but with Hicks emergence the Twins now have 5 guys (including Buxton) who should most certainly crack the majority of the top 100 lists heading into next season. (I'd also add that Gibson IMO is still a top 100 guy the second he gets back from the injury)

What are the odds that Hicks can be on the Twins major league roster by next May?

I just love this line " and from all reports is already major league ready defensively". Hmmm so what does that mean he has mastered the skill of catching a fly ball and throwing it. LOL

#30 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 10:10 PM

I just love this line " and from all reports is already major league ready defensively". Hmmm so what does that mean he has mastered the skill of catching a fly ball and throwing it. LOL

More or less he has proven capable of taking good solid routes to fly balls/line drives to the outfied. But to be fair they were saying he was a major league ready CF (defensively) a year or two ago.

The point being, if he can even manage to hit close to league average he will be a valuable major leaguer overall. If his bat/power continues to improve he could be something very special when he makes it to the show.