Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: The Twins 2013 Payroll Crunch

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,956 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...-Payroll-Crunch

#2 Highabove

Highabove

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:20 PM

I believe the current payroll rest at 97 million. Marquis 3 million dollars was added a few weeks into the season.

Edited by Highabove, 09 July 2012 - 06:24 PM.

#3 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 661 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

Vikings & Wolves should be thanking their lucky stars they got money this year. Because Twins should be the poster boys for the "no public money funding a stadium" crowd. Target Field is becoming proof positive that a new stadium does not mean the FO will spend to fix their past decisions / mistakes.

#4 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:34 PM

Good post, John. If the second half of 2012 continues like the first half, and attendance continues to dwindle, I think we'll see a lower 2013 payroll. But I disagree with the term "fantasies" to describe retaining Liriano. Sure, it's a fantasy when he's great, or even effective, but I'd argue that the prospect of paying him $12.5 million for that other 50 percent of the time when he's one of the worst pitchers in baseball is tough to swallow. He's an interesting case either way.

#5 Jim H

Jim H

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:36 PM

I actually expect that the budget will go up, at least slightly. Some of the extra money allotted to the draft this year will likely go back to the payroll. Besides, just because the money is available, doesn't mean you should spend it. Last year, the free agent crop wasn't exceptionally strong. It appears it could be stronger and deeper this year. A 2nd consideration is that many of these free agents can't be signed to one year contracts. If you are going to lose some of your current players because of a long term free agent signing, you better be pretty sure your farm system can cover that.

#6 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:41 PM

One minor correction: the numbers in USA Today only included those on major league rosters, so that $94M didn't include Nishioka. If that's added in, the payroll for this year is $97M. That means they can spend an additional $21M to what is listed in your article and keep payroll same as last year.

#7 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

Isn't Nishi on the hook for next year also? And, I agree with John. The payroll will drop, and the starting pitching will be bad again, and attendance will drop, and a vicious cycle of self-fulfilling prophecy will occur.

#8 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,743 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:47 PM

> ask youself: where this team would be with another $18.5M worth of starting pitching? Why would we want 6 more Jason Marquises?

#9 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 517 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:49 PM

They will have to sign one if not Two FA starting pitchers. Hopefully they won't be of the Jason Marquis caliber. Terry Ryan wants to win, he knows he needs pitching to win. The Pohlands know that without a winner, revenues will continue to drop. I don't think that we will see a drop in payroll. It may not top 100 million, but it will be above 85 million.

#10 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 07:50 PM

Cot's has them at $100,435,000. I don't think that includes Zumaya. The USA Today data may not have included Nishioka and Marquis who were in minors. If correct, the difference might be closer to 11.5 million which may have signed Edwin Jackson. It is questionable whether he would have come to Minnesota for the same pay as he received from the Nationals so it may not be a good comp. Edwin Jackson helps but it does not turn the Twins into a winning team. As for next year, I really hope that they do 1 or 2 larger contracts for a more elite player instead of the 3-6 million value contracts. For every Doumit who returns good value, we get three guys like Nishioka, Marquis and Carroll. I would prefer the Twins get one pitcher for the money those 4 get and fill in the other three spots with team control players or minor league deal guys. The same goes with the contracts for Span and Blackburn. They both signed what was portrayed to be team friendly seals to avoid arbitration. Are we really better off? Sure Span would be getting a good return next year but we are stuck with Blackburn's bad deal. You always overpay for top players and risk their injury. Let's just stop paying 3-6 million for the mediocre or injury risk players. Let's risk it on an elite player instead. Of course, the Twins have already started on the other path. Instead of putting every resource towards pitching first, they signed Doumit to another friendly contract. I understand that I am in the minority and maybe the sole voice on Doumit's contract. Is it really reasonable to project two more healthy seasons from Doumit? What does that leave them for pitching? I don't know, but I want the pitcher who is worth 3.5 million more than the one we get.

#11 Mchans24

Mchans24

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:13 PM

Carroll? I think he is a good pickup and that Terry Ryan actually had a really good year in free agency. There wasn't a ton of free agent pitchers that would have done anything for us last winter. This year is a much better year for that, Ryan knew that. Look for them to make strong run at Greinke who will go to a smaller market team. I also think they will gamble on Gibson being ready to help when healthy. You also haven't accounted for them picking up a pitcher through a trade.

#12 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

Isn't Nishi on the hook for next year also?

Yes, but that was already in John's table.

#13 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:27 PM

So, if we have $21M available to maintain payroll at it's current level, does that have any implications for picking up options? Baker has a 9.25M option, and while he will be recovering from TJ surgery, I think a Baker at 90% is still better than a AAAA pitcher.

#14 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,120 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:31 PM

I don't think Baker is at 90% for most of next year. I just can't see them rolling that die.
Lighten up Francis....

#15 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,476 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:38 PM

What if they're able to acquire a C-prospect for Morneau and only have to pick up, say, $4 million of his 2013 contract? There is $9.5 million more available. I would like to keep Jamey Carroll around because he's been solid and a good influence and all that, but there's some money there. What if they're able to trade Span for three decent prospects. There's $4 million 2013 and more for the following year. I'm one who agrees that payroll is a little overrated. Just have to make good decisions and then get players to perform.

#16 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:40 PM

Hopefully Span and Morneau are traded. That clears 18.75 unless the Twins chip in. There are good prospects to be had!! They could then stick Parmelee at 1B because he is more than ready. He just needs playing time. Mastroianni wouldn't be an awful fill-in in my opinion for Span. Call up Clete because he doesn't deserve AAA ABs.That would help change the organizational arrangement of the minors. It's a big problem for outfielders.

Edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse, 09 July 2012 - 08:44 PM.

#17 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,476 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:42 PM

I'd absolutely bring back Scott Baker on a low-base, high-incentive contract that would include a second year option.

#18 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

Trade them all because Joe Public is tired of getting screwed buy the rich.

#19 striker_86

striker_86

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:12 PM

Bring back Baker (not for 9.5 though). Hope Gibson is ready, and sign a legitimate starter with the rest of the $$. Our rotation would be 1. New Ace 2. Diamond 3. Baker 4. Gibson 5. Blackburn or whoever works out in spring training

#20 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 992 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:30 PM

Isn't Capps all but signed for 2013 with a decent option pick up?

#21 Mchans24

Mchans24

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:04 PM

Please, no more Blackburn in 2013, I would rather have Latroy Hawkins return as a starter than see Blackburn throw any more 89mph gopher balls!! What the hell happened to this guy?

#22 East Coast Twin

East Coast Twin

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 05:03 AM

John - According to mlbtraderumors.com, Alex Burnett is on pace to be arbitration eligible after this year as a "super two."

#23 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,666 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:05 AM

Unless Baker wants to stay here, this isn't going to be a case where we can just renegotiate with him... He has no incentive to do so. We will have to decline that option and fight for him in FA, but I could see a lot of teams going after him strong. With 21 M to spend, we don't have enough. We need more than 2 decent pitchers. We need 3. I'd be OK with one of them being a 1 year "prove it" deal for something like what Bedard got this year, but we need something more stable too. 21M isn't going to get you two very good FA pitchers. It will get one 1 and a value type pitcher.

#24 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,788 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:49 AM

Unless Baker wants to stay here, this isn't going to be a case where we can just renegotiate with him... He has no incentive to do so. We will have to decline that option and fight for him in FA, but I could see a lot of teams going after him strong.

If teams haven't been going strong after guys like Dan Haren and Roy Oswalt in recent years, there is no way they go hard after Scott Baker.

#25 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:21 AM

The Twins should have gotten some insurance coverage on Baker's deal(if they had it covered) so that's a couple of dollars to re-invest in something. Discouraging. As posted elsewhere, other franchises are making the moves to draw fans and get better. Because WINNING still is the best draw for a team. It just seems like the Twins don't get that.

#26 roger

roger

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:25 AM

I'd absolutely bring back Scott Baker on a low-base, high-incentive contract that would include a second year option.

+1. I believe that Scott and Mr. Ryan will work out something beneficial to both sides. Seth, there was language in the old CBA that restricted the amount a player could be cut, etc. Are you aware of any limitations in the new CBA that could make working something reasonable out with Baker impossible?

#27 luckylager

luckylager

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:29 AM

Blackburn??... Blackburn??!!! Hendricks should be able to take that #5 spot

#28 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:39 AM

So under this back-of-the-napkin analysis, Mauer is taking up almost 1/3 of payroll? First, I don't think the Twins would put themselves in that kind of situation. Also, if I'm Mauer, and Terry Ryan slashes payroll even further than he's already done, I might request a trade to a team that might win a championship in the next 6 years.

#29 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 07:41 AM

Would you package Liriano with Morneau to get a team to eat all of Morneau's owed money? That feels like a hefty price to pay to just shed payroll, but if it frees up that much extra money to go after players that are part of the long-term solution, I think it needs to be considered. Now, I think we could probably get a couple mid-grade prospects as well, but the question is, would you do it for nothing (in terms of prospects)

#30 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,666 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 08:03 AM

If teams haven't been going strong after guys like Dan Haren and Roy Oswalt in recent years, there is no way they go hard after Scott Baker.

and what incentive does Baker have to working it out now as opposed to waiting till FA?