Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Suggestions

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:12 PM

1. Make more forum topics. I (like many from BYTO) like to talk about politics, games and movies just like baseball. Right now the forum isn't set up to have this variety. Please help RP. 2. I want to see the difference between threads I've read and threads I haven't. It is annoying when I think there is a new post but I find there isn't. Make it more obvious. 3. Separate stickies and regular thread topics. Its too cluttered. 4. Icons for forums. Doesn't have to be snarky, but it just gives it a cooler feel. Done for now, more to come.

#2 Musk21

Musk21

• Members
  • 127 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:50 AM

I second all 4 of these suggestions. Too few forums and unclear what is "read" and "unread."
If Twins can't re-sign Hunter, plans are to trade, sign a FA or go in-house to find a replacement.

#3 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,790 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 12:03 PM

Bold and unbolded. That's how I do it. But I agree that the icons are a little wonky... I need to read up on how they're generated. They don't make a lot of sense at first glance.

#4 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:53 PM

I see swear words are now filtered. I'll have to start swearing in Spanish..

#5 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,790 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:20 PM

I see swear words are now filtered. I'll have to start swearing in Spanish..

Yep, it was actually at my suggestion. :D

It's only the basic 4-5 "not suitable for broadcast television" words.

#6 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,790 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 04:21 PM

Also, I expect that we're all open to adding more forums when the other sports fire up. Right now, there just isn't much demand for additional forums because football, basketball, and hockey are idle. The BYTO system was a football forum and then a "all other sports" forum. Any suggestions on how to improve/change that?

#7 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 09:25 PM

Its tough to say, because football is such a huge talker. Since this is "Twins" Daily, maybe just an other sports forum? The Wild and Wolves never got a huge amount of play, but there were always some topics worth discussing. I do think the politics, media, and elitism (don't know what else to call it lol) forums need to be brought over.

#8 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,253 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:57 PM

I think sticking with a single "catch-all" non-baseball forum is the way to go, at least for now. The traffic in the "Sports Bar" forum is pretty low the way it is, splitting it up would just lead to multiple sub-forums with even less traffic.

#9 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:40 AM

I think sticking with a single "catch-all" non-baseball forum is the way to go, at least for now. The traffic in the "Sports Bar" forum is pretty low the way it is, splitting it up would just lead to multiple sub-forums with even less traffic.

Disagree. It is low now because its a full of unorganized junk. The other forums in BYTO were more specific and easier to navigate.

#10 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,666 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:39 PM

Allow 2 quotes in a post. Only allowing 1 quote makes it a little weird to read responses sometimes.

#11 GCTF

GCTF

so very tired

• Members
  • 1,900 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 22 July 2012 - 12:00 PM

Allow 2 quotes in a post. Only allowing 1 quote makes it a little weird to read responses sometimes.

+1. But no more than 2 quotes. There have been a few posts where I've quoted someone else's quoted post and when you see it posted without the original, well, sometimes it just looks kinda dumb.

There is no May and Mayer. They're made up.

#12 Oxtung

Oxtung

I don't skinny dip. I chunky dunk.

• Members
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 08:43 AM

At the top of each forum page there is a quick navigation link bar: Forum -> Questions about Twins Daily -> Suggestions Make this available at the bottom of the pages as well so that when a reader gets done with a thread they don't have to scroll back to the top to navigate. I know there is the "Quick Navigation" drop menu on the right hand side at the bottom but there is nothing particularly quick about it if all you're attempting to do is return to the forum you are currently browsing.

#13 FrodaddyG

FrodaddyG

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:28 AM

At the top of each forum page there is a quick navigation link bar:

Forum -> Questions about Twins Daily -> Suggestions

Make this available at the bottom of the pages as well so that when a reader gets done with a thread they don't have to scroll back to the top to navigate. I know there is the "Quick Navigation" drop menu on the right hand side at the bottom but there is nothing particularly quick about it if all you're attempting to do is return to the forum you are currently browsing.

There's also the "back" button on your browser. Top left-ish.

#14 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,790 posts

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

At the top of each forum page there is a quick navigation link bar:

Forum -> Questions about Twins Daily -> Suggestions

Make this available at the bottom of the pages as well so that when a reader gets done with a thread they don't have to scroll back to the top to navigate. I know there is the "Quick Navigation" drop menu on the right hand side at the bottom but there is nothing particularly quick about it if all you're attempting to do is return to the forum you are currently browsing.

That should actually be pretty easy to implement, though I'm not sure how much help it really provides. There's also a "top" button next to Quick Nav, which brings you to the top of the page.

This will be quite a ways down the list on stuff I need to do but I'll try to get to it some time before the apocalypse.

#15 DPJ

DPJ

Banned

• Banned
  • 636 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 07:46 AM

For the love of God don't bring back the politics forum

#16 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 25 July 2012 - 06:57 PM

For the love of God don't bring back the politics forum

Baby Got Downs is a must.

#17 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:17 PM

Just my 2 cents, maybe other agree: I don't care for Picture/story scrolling headline deal at the top of the homepage. To me it looks clumsy and I've never once click on the different pics/stories or linked to those stories since I can just scroll down the home page and find them there with the beginning sentences of the article/blog. I liked having the top of the homepage for the "newest" or "most compelling" story at the time, rather than a visual table of contents of some of the stories below. I'm guessing it was to put there to increase traffic on those stories from the homepage, but I'd rather see it go. Thanks for you consideration, UR.
Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

#18 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:22 PM

Just my 2 cents, maybe other agree: I don't care for Picture/story scrolling headline deal at the top of the homepage. To me it looks clumsy and I've never once click on the different pics/stories or linked to those stories since I can just scroll down the home page and find them there with the beginning sentences of the article/blog. I liked having the top of the homepage for the "newest" or "most compelling" story at the time, rather than a visual table of contents of some of the stories below. I'm guessing it was to put there to increase traffic on those stories from the homepage, but I'd rather see it go. Thanks for you consideration, UR.

I disagree totally, as someone who only reads about 10% of the "blogs" at this site, I find that image to be awesome, since it highlights the top 4 or 5 stories worth reading about.

As someone who worked a long time at gawker media, let me tell you you are doing the right thing by keeping that up!

#19 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 09:38 PM

I agree. I still click on the links below the huge image. It's a little clumsy looking and maybe if it was a lot bigger or a lot smaller I'd use it. I dislike the size it's at. Plus, most of the time articles I've already read pop up in it. Not a bad idea, but I wouldn't mind it gone either.

#20 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,790 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 05:56 AM

You have to realize that, as dedicated "everyday" Twins Daily people, you're not the average user. Most people don't check the site two or three times a day. They check it a few times a week or maybe just once a day. That slider system is there to let the more casual users see what's popular and it's not necessarily for the guy/gal who checks the site every hour or more.

#21 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 06:24 AM

You have to realize that, as dedicated "everyday" Twins Daily people, you're not the average user. Most people don't check the site two or three times a day. They check it a few times a week or maybe just once a day. That slider system is there to let the more casual users see what's popular and it's not necessarily for the guy/gal who checks the site every hour or more.

So you're saying I'm above average?

"Ma, ma, the man on the computer says I'm ABOVE AVERAGE! I know! I couldn't believe it either!"
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#22 GCTF

GCTF

so very tired

• Members
  • 1,900 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:09 AM

There's a home page?

There is no May and Mayer. They're made up.

#23 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,790 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:12 AM

So you're saying I'm above average?

"Ma, ma, the man on the computer says I'm ABOVE AVERAGE! I know! I couldn't believe it either!"

*pats Ben on the head*

You're very special.

#24 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:26 PM

Is there a way to remind or force ;) our wonderful colleagues to get avatars up? Gray neutered bodies look horrible as placeholders. You could make it so one cannot register without imputing an avatar but that would mean less registration so I'm sure that won't happen. Any ideas on a way to remind/encourage this?
Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

#25 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:52 PM

Maybe you can have a special section for the Leeds Football Team?

#26 crapforks

crapforks

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

I'm glad this suggestions deal exists. I sort of hate the hover-over-a-topic-and-get-a-yellow-blob-with-a-partial-though-feature. I get it, but I hate it.