Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Who Will Step Up This Year?

michael cuddyer justin morneau joe mauer delmon young denard span
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 bluechipper

bluechipper

• Members
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:54 PM

If I'm reading bb-ref.com correctly, the entire team is .833 in wins and .548 in losses. I really don't know if there is anything to be read into these splits - when you lose it's because you're not hitting or not pitching or not doing both.

Mauer looks like the interesting outlier this year with an OPS in losses only slightly lower than in wins.

Wow, I didn't realize it would be such a wide team margin. They must just not want to waste all of their hits in losses I guess.

• ashburyjohn likes this

#22 gocgo

gocgo

• Members
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:11 PM

Even if we do end up making the playoffs by one game, you can't say that it's all because of that one call since we still have nearly a month ahead of us. Also, you never know what might have happened last night had Sano not had that extra chance to homer. Buxton might have done it for him to lead off the 13th; there's just no saying what could have happened.

Now, if it was game 163 and we were down by a single run with 2 outs in the 9th and the same call, same pitch count occurred ... might as well add that there was a base runner and we were home ... then you could say beyond any doubt that we made it because of a bad call. In this instance, though, I feel like it's a bit extreme.

Last night I checked out a Royals fan page because I was curious to see their opinion on the call, and while there were (of course) a few people ranting about it, the majority thought that it was 100% on the Royals and that they should have had the game. Some said that the Royals are getting too comfortable with the division lead whereas the Twins are battling for a WC spot, just like last year's Royals. I almost got the impression that they wouldn't be surprised if we went on to win the ALCS. Maybe I shouldn't be flattered though ... it's probably just stemming from the mentality that whoever can beat them must be as good as the Giants. ;)

Yeah, I know what your saying, but I can't think of one single pitch that I will remember at the end of the season that will stand out like that one.

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#23 formerly33

formerly33

resurrector of the dead in my spare time

• Members
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:15 PM

Yeah, I know what your saying, but I can't think of one single pitch that I will remember at the end of the season that will stand out like that one.

I can ... but that's because of this:

061015_hunter_ejection2_mid_5o3ks842.gif

But then, would we remember that pitch to Sano if he hadn't homered? Though I hear ya ... we didn't win the Torii meltdown game.

You know ... we were playing the Royals in both instances. I wonder what the last series is going to be like.

But I'm hijacking the thread. Sorry ....

• gocgo likes this

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

#24 blairpaul715

blairpaul715

• Members
  • 730 posts
  • LocationMinot, ND

Posted 10 September 2015 - 03:10 PM

I dont know how long Suzuki will be out, but if it is a leg injury or knee , he needs to stay off for at least a week or two, that basically takes us to the last 10 games of the season, I would try to trade for Pierzynski to take his place till he comes back, couldnt cost us too much..........now if Suzuki is out rest of season, then you have to play Fryer or Herrmann so they can get as much playing time for possible post season play. That is my opinion. :)

#25 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 2,096 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 05:21 PM

I dont know how long Suzuki will be out, but if it is a leg injury or knee , he needs to stay off for at least a week or two, that basically takes us to the last 10 games of the season, I would try to trade for Pierzynski to take his place till he comes back, couldnt cost us too much..........now if Suzuki is out rest of season, then you have to play Fryer or Herrmann so they can get as much playing time for possible post season play. That is my opinion. :)

No Fryer, please. He can ... not ... hit. Hermann at least has the potential to hit.

#26 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 18,457 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 10 September 2015 - 08:07 PM

Wow, I didn't realize it would be such a wide team margin. They must just not want to waste all of their hits in losses I guess.

League-wide it's .846 and .599 respectively. Never would have guessed quite so wide, either.

http://www.baseball-...lg=AL&year=2015

When winning, the entire team is all-stars. When losing, AAA scrubs, every last one. :)

• bluechipper likes this

We couldn't afford fire alarms, so Dad hung Jiffy Pop over the doors.

#27 Teddy

Teddy

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • LocationAustin, Texas

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:32 AM

Actually, with Texas losing and the Twins having the night off, the Twins are just one game back in the Wild Card standings.

#28 gocgo

gocgo

• Members
  • 1,340 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:00 AM

I can ... but that's because of this:

061015_hunter_ejection2_mid_5o3ks842.gif

But then, would we remember that pitch to Sano if he hadn't homered? Though I hear ya ... we didn't win the Torii meltdown game.

You know ... we were playing the Royals in both instances. I wonder what the last series is going to be like.

But I'm hijacking the thread. Sorry ....

OK, 2 pitches that I remember now!

• formerly33 likes this

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy.

#29 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

Grain Belt: "The Friendly Beer"

• Members
  • 1,481 posts
  • LocationHuron, SD

Posted 12 September 2015 - 09:11 AM

This team appears to be peaking at precisely the right time, with 20 games to go.

Now, more cowbell, please.

"Not my circus, not my monkeys." -- Polish saying

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: michael cuddyer, justin morneau, joe mauer, delmon young, denard span