Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Rosario (2015) = Santana (2014) Yes or No

babib walks strikeouts speed fluke
  • Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

#1 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,468 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:46 PM

I have been impressed with Eddie Rosario since the AFL season. He's done a lot of things right since being recalled by the Twins in May. He's had a nice assortment of extra base hits, beat out enough bunts and rollers to avoid a slump, played well in the field, run the bases aggressively and risen to the occasion in key situations quite often.

Many have compared his season to the 2014 season for Danny Santana. Everything I wrote about Rosario could be said about Santana in 2014, with the possible exception of good defense. The BABIP has been good for Eddie, but not crazy good like the number put up by Santana last year.

Do you, the TD faithful, think Rosario will fade similar to the fate that befell Santana? Why or why not?

• nicksaviking likes this

#2 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,331 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 09:58 PM

I'm going to say "kind of". He's due for a little regression in my opinion, but since he's a better "overall" batter than Santana, I think he can keep it up. 2014 Santana got a lot of infield hits due to his speed and that didn't repeat quite as often in 2015. I think Rosario's hitting is a lot more sustainable. He just needs to take some more walks and get that OBP up.

• SgtSchmidt11, Sconnie, Letitsano and 1 other like this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#3 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• 10,212 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:02 PM

Rosario's sub-par OBP is hard to see when you consider his BABIP is well above average.  There is absolutely room for concern.  Hopefully he works on that this offseason. 

Edited by jimmer, 20 August 2015 - 10:02 PM.

• Sconnie likes this

#4 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• 2,426 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:22 PM

I'd say Rosario 2015 is closer to Bostock 1975 than Santana 2014.

• birdwatcher and David HK like this

#5 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,293 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:22 PM

The walk:strikeout ratio is certainly a concern. I think Rosario was a significantly better prospect (in my opinion) than Santana, but there's reason for concern. I think he'll be fine, though maybe not as good as he has been so far this year. 

• whydidnt, Mike Frasier Law, nicksaviking and 1 other like this

#6 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• 6,053 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:35 PM

Santana was never remotely close to Rosario as a prospect. Rosario had a career .820 minor league OPS and Santana's is .710. And there are no doubts about Rosario's defense.

The lack of walks is an issue, but it isn't a huge one. Modest improvements there can go a long way. I don't see regression at all next year for him, though the numbers might not jump up significantly either. I would doubt he tops .800 OPS next year, but he should be close.

• birdwatcher, wagwan, TheLeviathan and 3 others like this

#7 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• 6,053 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:38 PM

Also, Rosario's slugging is for real, Santana's in 2014 was quite flukish.

#8 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 10:52 PM

I'm going to say "kind of". He's due for a little regression in my opinion, but since he's a better "overall" batter than Santana, I think he can keep it up. 2014 Santana got a lot of infield hits due to his speed and that didn't repeat quite as often in 2015. I think Rosario's hitting is a lot more sustainable. He just needs to take some more walks and get that OBP up.

Yeah, pretty much this. I have concerns about Eddie but he's a much better hitter than Santana.

#9 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,636 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 20 August 2015 - 11:02 PM

Eddie Rosario is a professional ballplayer from head to toe. He's going to have an excellent, long career in the major leagues, including at least a few appearances in the All Star game. His offensive numbers will continue to improve, including his average and his power.

Danny Santana has a chance to be an mlb starting shortstop, but the odds are going down. He needs to manage his emotions better, and develop much better plate discipline.

Rosario will have no sophomore slump at all. His game will remain as steady as the look on his face at the plate. Steady Eddie.

• wagwan, nokomismod, Blackjack and 3 others like this
The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#10 spycake

spycake

• 17,694 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:32 AM

I think he'll be fine

Question, Seth: are there ever players/prospects who you think will *not* be "fine"? :)
  • wagwan likes this

#11 David HK

David HK

Minnesota Twins

• 3,526 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:32 AM

I'm going to say 'unequal.'  The more I see of Rosario, the more I like him.  I think he's going to improve his zone awareness and walk rate to some extent, (not a great deal because of his innate aggressiveness), and develop even more power as he matures.  Plus, I love his moxie.  The Twinks need a large dose of that, for sure.

• Twinfan603 likes this

#12 70charger

70charger

• 4,420 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:43 AM

I don't really see what made people think that Santana could continue at the level he was on. Nothing in his minor league career gave that impression. It was fun while it lasted, and I was all for keeping him in center field while our other options were guys like Schafer, but major regression was absolutely expected. His 2014 stats were nothing if not an extreme outlier.

Rosario's 2015 stats, on the other hand, are much more in line with his minor league stats. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see some regression from him next year, but I would be no more surprised to see a luck-driven surge. The fact is, I don't see Rosario playing way over his head like Santana clearly was.

• Oldgoat_MN and rghrbek like this

#13 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 15,052 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:14 AM

While I think he's going to have a better career, and echo what others said that he's a much better prospect than Santana ever was, I suspect he's going to take some lumps next year.I hope he doesn't, but I'm not seeing it.

• USAFChief likes this

#14 twinssouth

twinssouth

• 573 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:32 AM

No, I see no comparison, I'd rather see a steady 270ish 1st yr BA that will get better vs Santana's 1yr aberration. Santana was also dealing with his inconsistent D, Rosario hasn't.

#15 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Cham-Peen of the World

• 1,779 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:42 AM

I don't think Rosario will ever walk a lot, but I do think he has it in him to cut down on the strikeouts. From what I've seen he's a good "bad-ball" hitter and has a knack for making contact that hasn't shown up on the stat sheet yet.

He's also a plus-defender which is far more than one can say about Santana.

If I had to make a prediction, I'd say that I expect 2016 Eddie Rosario to be better than the 2015 version.

#16 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:48 AM

If I had to make a prediction, I'd say that I expect 2016 Eddie Rosario to be better than the 2015 version.

That's a pretty bold prediction because if you took 2015 Rosario and extrapolated his PAs to a full season, he's already a 3 WAR player.

#17 drjim

drjim

• 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:54 AM

I could see him having a slightly higher than average BABIP throughout his career. Dude just seems "hitterish".

He'll never be a huge OBP guy because I don't think he'll walk a bunch, but I think he can cut his k rate a little and the power is legit. Add good d to that equation and that is a good player.

He might fall back a little next year, but I don't see anything in his profile that suggests a Santana like collapse.

• TheLeviathan and Twinfan603 like this
Papers...business papers.

#18 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• 6,053 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:54 AM

That's a pretty bold prediction because if you took 2015 Rosario and extrapolated his PAs to a full season, he's already a 3 WAR player.

Yep.

• dbminn likes this

#19 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,863 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:56 AM

The kid has been a model of consistency; with an average pretty much always staying in the 270-280 range. This is the mean and there's not much regression. No prolonged slumps, and no real blazing hot streaks either.

To get better as he ages, cut down the Ks and turn them into contact, and maybe a bit more extra-base hitting. He'll profile as a great two-hole hitter if he can do those things.

I always wanted to know what it would be like to simultaneously experience the 1918 flu,  Great Depression, and 1968 mass protests while Andrew Johnson was president.

#20 dougkoebernick

dougkoebernick

• 147 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 06:56 AM

Great forum topic. While there is always reason for a concern and these issues have all been discussed above, it is interesting to note that Santana was 23 last year and Rosario is 23 this year. This makes no difference at all but it is good to see youth playing important roles for the Twins.

• birdwatcher likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: babib, walks, strikeouts, speed, fluke