Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Article: Twins vs. Tigers, 07/04/2012, 6:05pm

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,520 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 12:15 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...-04-2012-6-05pm

#2 asmus_ndsu

asmus_ndsu

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:30 PM

Were gonna need some really good pitching from duensing tonight, DET is pretty well staggered lefty righty and hes been knocked around a little by right handers. On the plus he has been very good at keeping the ball in the park. I think if we can get verlander out of the game by the 7th that will be our best shot at getting to detroits battered bullpen and scoring a couple runs.

#3 stringer bell

stringer bell

No Speed, Warning Track Power

• Twins News Team
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:38 PM

Were gonna need some really good pitching from duensing tonight, DET is pretty well staggered lefty righty and hes been knocked around a little by right handers. On the plus he has been very good at keeping the ball in the park. I think if we can get verlander out of the game by the 7th that will be our best shot at getting to detroits battered bullpen and scoring a couple runs.

optimist.

#4 pjnelly

pjnelly

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:02 PM

optimist.

You say "optimist." as if it is derogatory thing. What's wrong with being an optimist?

#5 stringer bell

stringer bell

• Twins News Team
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:09 PM

Nothing wrong with being an optimist, but the Twins are facing the defending Cy Young winner, who has put up All-Star numbers this year, as well. Duensing hasn't gotten to the fifth yet and Verlander hasn't failed to get through 6 since 2010 IIRC.

#6 stringer bell

stringer bell

• Twins News Team
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:10 PM

Morneau and Dozier out of the lineup tonight. Casilla and Parmelee in, last chance for Parm to impress before a trip to Rochester?

#7 pjnelly

pjnelly

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:15 PM

Nothing wrong with being an optimist, but the Twins are facing the defending Cy Young winner, who has put up All-Star numbers this year, as well. Duensing hasn't gotten to the fifth yet and Verlander hasn't failed to get through 6 since 2010 IIRC.

And Verlander is going up against the best offense in July thus far and one of the best offenses in the majors in June, so I don't see any reason that we can't be optimists. Plus, using inductive reasoning is inherently problematic with predicting outcomes even though everyone does it with baseball anyway. See Trevor Plouffe.

#8 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:34 PM

And Verlander is going up against the best offense in July thus far and one of the best offenses in the majors in June, so I don't see any reason that we can't be optimists. Plus, using inductive reasoning is inherently problematic with predicting outcomes even though everyone does it with baseball anyway. See Trevor Plouffe.

The difference here is stringerbell is parsimoniously applying Occam's Razor and you are applying inductive reasoning according to Jim Carrey ("So you're telling me there's a chance?")

But of course, that would make a Twins win all the sweeter....

#9 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 47 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:43 PM

> What do you expect from Duensing tonight as he makes his third start? Big game for Delmon against his former team?

#10 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 03:51 PM

Morneau and Dozier out of the lineup tonight. Casilla and Parmelee in, last chance for Parm to impress before a trip to Rochester?

Could be one of the last chances for Casilla to impress another team. If I were Detroit, I'd trade for Casilla in a heartbeat. Santiago and Raburn are absolute butchers in the MI and Peralta is pedestrian at SS, by comparison, on the defensive side, Casilla would look like Joe Morgan. It's not a news flash to anyone how awful the Tigers are in the field. Could the Twins get a trade as least as good as Young/Oliveros-Nelson?

#11 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,102 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:31 PM

Even Verlander is capable of having a bad game. Let's hope that happens tonight.

#12 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 04:36 PM

Anybody have the lineup yet?

#13 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

Rain delay again.

#14 GCTF

GCTF

so very tired

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

TWINS (35-45) 1. Denard Span, CF 2. Ben Revere, RF 3. Joe Mauer, C 4. Josh Willingham, LF 5. Chris Parmelee, 1B 6. Trevor Plouffe, 3B 7. Ryan Doumit, DH 8. Jamey Carroll, SS 9. Alexi Casilla, 2B Starting pitcher: LH Brian Duensing (1-4, 4.10 ERA) TIGERS (39-42) 1. Austin Jackson, CF 2. Ryan Raburn, LF 3. Miguel Cabrera, 3B 4. Prince Fielder, 1B 5. Delmon Young, DH 6. Jhonny Peralta, SS 7. Brennan Boesch, RF 8. Alex Avila, C 9. Ramon Santiago, 2B Starting pitcher: RH Justin Verlander (8-5, 2.69 ERA)
Chris Hermann solves everything. hat tip to jokin

#15 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

BTW, happy 4th of July to everyone!

#16 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,102 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:19 PM

BTW, happy 4th of July to everyone!

Thanks, Chief. And to you as well.

#17 asmus_ndsu

asmus_ndsu

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:25 PM

Even Verlander is capable of having a bad game. Let's hope that happens tonight.

He Gave up 3 HRs last outing to the rays... So hopefully thats not his 1 bad game

#18 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,102 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

He Gave up 3 HRs last outing to the rays... So hopefully thats not his 1 bad game

I am hoping that's the prelude to a really bad game tonight, if it ever stops raining.

#19 asmus_ndsu

asmus_ndsu

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

I am hoping that's the prelude to a really bad game tonight, if it ever stops raining.

When they cut to the field on fsn it doesnt really look like its raining

#20 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:09 PM

TWINS (35-45)
1. Denard Span, CF
2. Ben Revere, RF
3. Joe Mauer, C
4. Josh Willingham, LF
5. Chris Parmelee, 1B
6. Trevor Plouffe, 3B
7. Ryan Doumit, DH
8. Jamey Carroll, SS
9. Alexi Casilla, 2B

I like our lineup tonight. I think we are a better fielding team with Casilla and Carroll for the time being.

Interesting that Gardy has no problem with 3 lefties at the top of the lineup, but insists on going righty, lefty, righty with Josh, Parmelee and Plouffe. I thought this would be a great chance to move plouffe to the 5 spot. Without messing with Justin's head.

#21 asmus_ndsu

asmus_ndsu

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:19 PM

At least if they have fireworks after the game yknow it will be dark enough

#22 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,102 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:25 PM

I like our lineup tonight. I think we are a better fielding team with Casilla and Carroll for the time being.

Interesting that Gardy has no problem with 3 lefties at the top of the lineup, but insists on going righty, lefty, righty with Josh, Parmelee and Plouffe. I thought this would be a great chance to move plouffe to the 5 spot. Without messing with Justin's head.

You make a good point. Maybe there is a reluctance to do make any change that might affect Plouffe's hot streak.

#23 asmus_ndsu

asmus_ndsu

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:30 PM

Am i off here or does plouffe remind anyone else of Bautista after he joined toronto? This Hot streak is going on a little longer than just a streak (even though i expect him to cool down just a bit eventually)

#24 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:32 PM

You make a good point. Maybe there is a reluctance to do make any change that might affect Plouffe's hot streak.

I think Plouffe begins to press with men on base, as is indicated by his number of solo homeruns. I think he tends to relax with the bases empty. Just my opinion, but I don't think things would change much in the 5th vs the 6th spot.

#25 asmus_ndsu

asmus_ndsu

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:03 PM

Looks like the rain may be past within the next hour, too late or wet to still play?

#26 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

Anyone still here? 1-2-3 top of the first.

#27 NorthwestTwinsFan

NorthwestTwinsFan

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

Do the Tigers have a rule that you have to be obese to play for them?

#28 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

I still don't understand why Duensing was converted back into a starter. If someone says "out of necessity" they are uttering nonsense. Duensing was great in his role. Even a joker like Swarzak is better as a starter.

#29 NorthwestTwinsFan

NorthwestTwinsFan

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:17 PM

I still don't understand why Duensing was converted back into a starter. If someone says "out of necessity" they are uttering nonsense. Duensing was great in his role. Even a joker like Swarzak is better as a starter.

I was just thinking the same thing. He is essentially batting practice for right-handed hitters, and he has proven time and again that he is much better suited for the bullpen.

#30 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:22 PM

They tried Swarzak at the start of the season. He's ineffective as a starter, when teams know he's going to pitch and can prepare for him. He doesn't make the adjustments necessary to go through a lineup 3 times. He's most effective when he comes in in long relief and pitches 2-3 innings, going through the order once. If you don't want Duensing, fine, but then you need somebody else.