Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Pick up Baker's option?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:17 PM

I say no. Baker's club option is for $9.25 million. Coming off of surgery, he probably won't be that effective ( see Joe Nathan) and will probably bolt anyways (again see Joe Nathan). Use the money elsewhere and let the kids start or spend money on other starters. While our starting staff is thin, I dont want see to Blackburn or Baker starting again next year. Agree or disagree?

#2 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:19 PM

Not even a consideration. If anything, the Twins will decline the option (which doesn't even have a buyout) and sign him to a cheap one-year deal. I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with that.

#3 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 2,056 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:43 PM

Without medical data it is impossible to judge. I am confident that the only way to keep him is to pick up the option. A healthy Baker is worth that contract. If the best Baker can do is a cheap one year contract, he will take that contract with another team. He will have plenty of offers at that level.

#4 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,099 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:47 PM

The option no way... I'm not sure what kind of market will be waiting for Baker and I don't know where I'd cap my interest. 9 million plus will get you a McCarthy or Dempster or Anibel Sanchez. More years obviously but similiar money.

#5 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Members
  • 362 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:49 PM

There is no way the option will be picked up. I do think there is a great chance he comes back on a one-year deal though. You have to imagine with rehabbing and him knowing the organization/trainers/coaches that it's the most logical place for him coming off surgery.

#6 CDog

CDog

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:50 PM

Not even a consideration. If anything, the Twins will decline the option (which doesn't even have a buyout) and sign him to a cheap one-year deal. I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with that.

You say "will" sign him to a one-year deal. Is that based on some knowledge? Did you mean they'll try? I've been of the opinion that if they decline the option, he'll likely not sign anything here, just because it seems like that's how it's gone with others in the past. But that "seems" is pretty sketchy in my mind. Anyone know how common it is for a player to sign after the team declines their option?

#7 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 10:52 PM

The option will be declined for sure. i predict they will offer him a 1 year deal with a base around $800K with insentives that could push it as high as $3 or 4 million.

#8 Crotalo

Crotalo

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:42 PM

No. They can re-sign him to a one year deal for less. Although if he's smart, he'll go to the NL like every other looking for a big deal after a nice single season.

#9 fetch

fetch

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:45 PM

The option will be declined for sure. i predict they will offer him a 1 year deal with a base around $800K with insentives that could push it as high as $3 or 4 million.

I would assume he would get more

#10 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,709 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:17 AM

An incentive-laden deal is the only choice to be made. $1.5 million base out of charity, maybe. Up to $4 million depending on IP and performance.

#11 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Writers
  • 880 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:15 AM

Like many have said here already, his option isn't much of an option (see what I did there). I could see an incentive deal to come back with the team since they will be hurting for starting pitching. But he won't even be able to pitch at the beginning of the season. Tough to know what kind of deals will even be an option for him.

#12 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,468 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:18 AM

An incentive-laden deal is the only choice to be made. $1.5 million base out of charity, maybe. Up to $4 million depending on IP and performance.

I think he almost certainly gets more than this. I would guess he'll get a base salary closer to 3 with incentives going up from there.

Pitching is hard to come by and Scott Baker was a very good pitcher prior to injury. I'd like to see them offer him a three year deal, but I also question if declining the option won't finish burning that bridge.

#13 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:22 AM

I have not read anything since his surgery to hint at the option being considered by the team - coming off surgery, he may be willing to stick with the Twins on a one-year deal, though in my opinion he's probably going to be offered more money to sign with another team. The Twins would benefit from having Baker as depth, but given how thin their rotation has been the last few years, it would not be a good investment to offer Baker the kind of deal he'll get elsewhere. Other teams can afford to offer something around 5 million to Baker and still not have to rely on him to give 25-30 starts for that money. For the Twins to spend 3 to 5 million on a starter next season, they will need that player to pitch more innings and make more starts than can be reasonable expected for a guy their first year coming off TJ surgery. I think at his best health, Baker is a great asset - the Twins probably can't afford that risk given their needs next season.

#14 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,363 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:23 AM

There is a zero chance the Twins pick up Baker's option. On the other hand, they might sign him to a $2m + incentives type of deal. I'm down with that, actually.

#15 DPJ

DPJ

Banned

• Banned
  • 636 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:29 AM

If your Baker would you even resign with the Twins after the coaching staff and front office called you a pussy all spring training only to find out your elbow is mush? NTM if you're gonna go on a one year make good deal, you head to SD, the Dodgers or another excellent pitchers park in the NL.

#16 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:32 AM

Totally agree. It would also probably be in Baker's interest to resign with the Twins, as this team knows him best and they will give him every opportunity to succeed due to their woeful pitching situation.

#17 Mauerzy4Prez

Mauerzy4Prez

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:48 AM

Screw Baker,,, i'd rather see them give Frankie a low end contract for 2 years and take the risk there. Much greater upside over Baker and even if he doesn't perform well, we still have a cheap contract to trade away to a team that is dumb enough to take a shot at him next year. I will probably get ripped for my take, but I had to play devil's advocate :)

#18 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,363 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 07:50 AM

Screw Baker,,, i'd rather see them give Frankie a low end contract for 2 years and take the risk there. Much greater upside over Baker and even if he doesn't perform well, we still have a cheap contract to trade away to a team that is dumb enough to take a shot at him next year. I will probably get ripped for my take, but I had to play devil's advocate :)

At this point, I question how much higher a "ceiling" Liriano has over Moonshot. He's certainly a better pitcher when he's on his game but the difference between the two players isn't enormous.

On the other hand, Baker has been a much more consistent pitcher. Of course, you can throw all that out the window with TJ surgery.

#19 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:06 AM

You say "will" sign him to a one-year deal. Is that based on some knowledge? Did you mean they'll try? I've been of the opinion that if they decline the option, he'll likely not sign anything here, just because it seems like that's how it's gone with others in the past. But that "seems" is pretty sketchy in my mind. Anyone know how common it is for a player to sign after the team declines their option?

I said "if anything" they will sign him to a one-year deal. That's not based on any knowledge, but I know they ain't picking up the option.

I don't think the Twins will burn any bridges by declining it. I'm sure Baker understands that any team would be hesitant to pay him $9M coming off elbow surgery.

#20 CDog

CDog

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:12 AM

If your Baker would you even resign with the Twins after the coaching staff and front office called you a pussy all spring training only to find out your elbow is mush?

What about if he had gotten hit by lightning? Neither likely happened, so...