Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Trade Prospects?

options 40-man roster depth catcher bullpen
  • Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,128 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:02 PM

With the All-Star break upon us, many have taken a breath and looked at the Twins on how they managed to carry a very good record into the last 73 games of the season. It is near-unanamous that the Twins need bullpen help this year and perhaps beyond, and that there is organizational weakness at catcher, with no receiver in the system projected to be a major league regular.

Also there is agreement that the Twins farm system is deep with talent except for catching, with either young regulars or good prospects in the high minors at all other positions, including pitching. Top prospects Miguel Sano and Byron Buxton have made their debuts along with Eddie Rosario, who has become a regular since his recall in May. There are several players who must be added to the 40-man roster after this season is over and only three veteran players on the last year of their contracts (Hunter, Pelfrey, and Duensing).

Is there room to add the dozen or so guys with major league upside? I sincerely doubt that is the case. I think this is part of the rationale for trading some of the team's prospects in exchange for filling a need (relief pitching short-term and catching long-term). There is risk in a maneuver like this--what if Player A is a bust and the Twins traded Player B who succeeds at the same position? That's why they pay the general manager and his staff the big money. By my count, the Twins have at least six outfielders 25 and under that could be in the majors by sometime in 2016, if not sooner. There are middle infielders at Rochester and Chattanooga who profile to make the major leagues and not all of them will get a chance. Finally, beyond Berrios, they have plenty of pitchers who could contribute, but not dominate. I think the Twins have the chance to trade from strength and address problems this season. They will have 40-man issues this winter and would perhaps lose part of that depth because they couldn't protect them all. choose the ones to move and upgrade the bullpen and catching TR!

#2 spinowner

spinowner

Minnesota Twins

• 3,995 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 07:51 PM

Rather than trading prospects or exposing them to rule 5 I'd be more inclined to trade or release some of the veterans. I bet I could name ten players on the current 41-man (Nolasco makes 41) whom I'd rather lose than some of the up-and-comers.

#3 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• 6,042 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:11 PM

I really think that the Twins should try to improve at the catcher position, add a reliever maybe, and consider a Tulo trade. Ignore the Tulo trade . . . I think the Twins should mix current MLB talent with second-tier prospect talent to try to get a catcher. The discussion starts with the MLB players, then.

Arcia, Rosario, and Hicks are possible trade candidates out of the OF. Plouffe, Escobar, and Santana are infielders to be traded. Suzuki, ironically, is another guy. Nunez also might be valuable for someone. Fien likely ruined his chances for a trade. No one else is really tradeable out of the current 'pen other than Perkins and that isn't happening for good reasons.

In the minors (Arcia excluded), there are other OFs like Kepler and Walker, certainly. Danny Ortiz is a marginal prospect, but one who could be a legit 4th OF at a youngish age for some team.

Polanco would be attractive for any team with an immediate need at 2B, and maybe those considering trying him out at SS. Michael is a legit prospect now. Beresford is actually a good player who could be a UTIL guy putting up numbers that are better than Eduardo Escobar.

Kohl Stewart, Taylor Rogers, Tyler Duffey, Greg Peavey (!), DJ Baxendale, and Mat Batts offer varying potential interest from other teams. Holding onto Stewart would be smart (to see if he actually starts whiffing people or is Kyle Gibson 2.0), and Rogers offers great immediate insurance, but the other three should be available immediately without question.

Tonkin, Oliveros, Achter, Thielbar, Reed, Jones, Peterson, Chargois, Burdi, Van Steensel, Booser, and Hildenberger are likely valuable elsewhere. Good lord, one third of them maybe should be Twins right now.

There's mixing and matching possible.

Escobar, Duffey, and Reed, for instance, could get you something legitimate in return. Plouffe and Duffey gets you a Plawecki (who will be ready in 2016 to hit MLB pitching).

Just some thoughts. I like how you think about these things, for the most part, so I hopefully added to the discussion here.

• stringer bell likes this

#4 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• 6,042 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:12 PM

I forgot Pinto. I am so damn angry about Josmil Pinto. He is a catcher for the Twins OR YOU TRADE HIM IMMEDIATELY. What the hell? How is that even an issue?

• curt1965 likes this

#5 drjim

drjim

• 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 17 July 2015 - 08:13 PM

The Twins will have some of depth to trade from and they could move Polanco if they don't think he could stick at ss. Don't buy they can move an arm of consequence.
Papers...business papers.

#6 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:07 PM

I forgot Pinto. I am so damn angry about Josmil Pinto. He is a catcher for the Twins OR YOU TRADE HIM IMMEDIATELY. What the hell? How is that even an issue?

maybe he just doesn't have any real trade value... Plus doesn't he have a concussion?
  • HitInAPinch likes this
<p>Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS 7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#7 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,446 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:14 PM

How difficult will the 40 man decisions be this winter? Maybe not that difficult. I don't see the urgency to trade prospects or lose them to rule 5.

This was done a month ago. Since then Schafer was released and Buxton added to the 40.

http://twinsdaily.co...-40-man-roster/

#8 curt1965

curt1965

• 786 posts
  • LocationLuverne, Minnesota

Posted 17 July 2015 - 09:26 PM

I agree 1000000%. I think he has been jacked around by the Twins, but people who have more knowledge than me insist he is a detriment defensively. Granted he is still dealing with concussion issues(apparently), but now is probably not the time to give him a shot.

#9 stringer bell

stringer bell

• 9,128 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:22 PM

I think there are real 40-man issues. They probably could let Wheeler and Darnell go, but there are a lot of players to add. In addition, there appear to be guys who won't get a chance despite pretty good credentials.

On Pinto, I think the plan was for him to get some work and take the backup role. He just was never right and then was disabled. This season was ruined for Pinto and I doubt he'll contribute to the Twins at all. What trade value he might have had is diminished, if not totally gone.

#10 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,089 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 17 July 2015 - 10:27 PM

You're nine games over .500, second best record in the AL as play resumes on 17 July.  Better than half way through the season.  You have a couple clearly identifiable places where upgrades would be very useful, and some potential trade candidates out there.

If you're not going to use some of  your minor league assets--which every mother's son on this board says you have oodles of--in that situation, when are you going to do so?

• Thrylos, Mike Sixel, stringer bell and 2 others like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#11 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,273 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:02 AM

Don't have too much of an issue trading some of these guys. Only way I part with the big ones is to get a long term fixture at a position of need, but trading some of the lesser guys to pick up some decent relief help should be what happens this month. 

#12 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,589 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:30 AM

I really think that the Twins should try to improve at the catcher position, add a reliever maybe, and consider a Tulo trade.

I personally would be interested in Tulo, Lucroy, Chapman, and Papelbon, but I am not sure TR is going to be able to make that all happen. I would also be ok with just 2-3 of these guys.

#13 AlwaysinModeration

AlwaysinModeration

Minnesota Twins

• 2,589 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 06:34 AM

Seriously, though, this is the dilemma: Terry Ryan's history indicates he is better at picking prospects from other teams' lower levels than he is at picking the good current MLB talent. He also is cautious. He is much more likely to pursue a minor player than a major player.

The Twins are at an interesting juncture...tons of depth in the minors...lots of high-potential young players breaking in...payroll flexibility due to the fact that the Buxtons and Sanos are years away from commanding big paydays....and surprisingly quick competitiveness.

The situation is ripe for a bold move like adding an aging, expensive 5-win
player at a position of need, using payroll and minors depth to do it.

I don't think TR is the GM to make this sort of bold move, though.

#14 drjim

drjim

• 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 18 July 2015 - 09:26 AM

You're nine games over .500, second best record in the AL as play resumes on 17 July.  Better than half way through the season.  You have a couple clearly identifiable places where upgrades would be very useful, and some potential trade candidates out there.

If you're not going to use some of  your minor league assets--which every mother's son on this board says you have oodles of--in that situation, when are you going to do so?

Outside of Berrios, none of their prospects can get an impact guy with multiple years of control. Those guys rarely move at the deadline anyways. Tough call to push a couple of their second tier guys (Kepler, Polanco) for a rental.

They certainly have plenty of depth for a complimentary piece like a bullpen arm, which is exactly what I think they will do. I don't think a worthwhile C or SS will move at the deadline. Those will happen in the offseason.

• jorgenswest and howieramone2 like this
Papers...business papers.

#15 Twodogs

Twodogs

Pensacola Blue Wahoos

• 975 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 11:26 PM

a team like the phillies will often take whatever they can get for guys like paplebon, i mean what good is he to them at 29 wins on the season. especially as the deadline looms, guys like that will get moved; look what the twins got for liriano, no big giant named guys. the twins need a move for relief pitchers and they need to be active because it will kinda come down to who blinks. now on to position players such as ss and c's teams wont let good guys like that go without a fight, so i dont see any future catchers showing up any time soon; but i think they could get some good bull pen arms without getting rid of any tier 1 type prospects, but they will have to give a tier 2 or a couple of tier 3 type of guys. jmo

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#16 kab21

kab21

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:37 AM

They won't trade Papelbon for whatever they can get.They will trade him for a pretty solid prospect since there are about 20 teams in the playoff hunt and only a few sellers.I would be all about Papelbon but the cost is going to be someone good.

• Mike Sixel likes this

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#17 stringer bell

stringer bell

• 9,128 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 19 July 2015 - 06:48 AM

Papelbon has already stated he wants to be traded to a contender where he will close. The Twins already have a closer, they need an eighth inning guy, while that could be someone else's closer, it won't be Papelbon.

I am also guessing that if an established player wants to go to a contender, he isn't thinking about the Twins, who are widely seen as pretenders despite their record.

#18 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• 21,980 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:23 AM

I don't know what it will cost but:

A. Trade for one of the Marlins late inning guys. Ramos... Capps or Cishek.

B. Trade with the Padres for Benoit.

C. Trade with the A's for Pomeranz

D. If you need to improve offense... Go big or don't bother. It has to be a legit 3 or 4 hitter that pushes Hunter and Plouffe down in the order. Any offensive acquisition that hits 6th.. 7th or 8th in the order is a redundancy.
  • USAFChief, Jerr, stringer bell and 2 others like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

I'm not a starting 9 guy!!!

#19 kab21

kab21

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:30 AM

I think it might actually be in Papelbon's best interests to not be the closer for the rest of the season.He has a 13M vesting option (55 games finished this year or...).I think he can get that for 2-3 years in FA and cash in one last time instead of risking a bad year next year and getting much less.

Regardless he isn't really an option for the Twins.Perhaps RiverBrian's guys and they could be had for a lower ranked prospect.

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#20 lukeduke1980

lukeduke1980

Ft Myers Miracle

• 453 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 07:55 AM

Joe Benson turned 27 years old yesterday.  We have plenty of Tier 2 guys who should be able to be considered for bullpen help.  Casey Fien is not the guy.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: options, 40-man roster, depth, catcher bullpen