Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Getting to September 1

pennant race september call up berrios kepler meyer
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MileHighTwinsFan

MileHighTwinsFan

• 383 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:39 AM

We are just under two months until the September 1 call ups, which will provide a tremendous opportunity to deepen the bench with some very talented minor league talent that could be very helpful to the club down the stretch.  It is very interesting to think about a bench with Arcia, Vargas, Kepler or Walker ready to pinch hit. How about a bullpen with Berrios, Nick Burdi or another flamethrower to help in a key situation?

The possibilities are quite exciting. Who do you all think could be a key addition to the club when rosters are expanded and how do you think those possibilities will impact any moves the Twins might make at the trade deadline or the waiver deadline on September 1?

#2 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• 6,053 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:59 AM

We are just under two months until the September 1 call ups, which will provide a tremendous opportunity to deepen the bench with some very talented minor league talent that could be very helpful to the club down the stretch.  It is very interesting to think about a bench with Arcia, Vargas, Kepler or Walker ready to pinch hit. How about a bullpen with Berrios, Nick Burdi or another flamethrower to help in a key situation?

The possibilities are quite exciting. Who do you all think could be a key addition to the club when rosters are expanded and how do you think those possibilities will impact any moves the Twins might make at the trade deadline or the waiver deadline on September 1?

Jose Berrios, Taylor Rogers, Alex Meyer (return), Lester Oliveros, Zach Jones, and . . . . JT Chargois (wow!).

Hughes-Santana-Gibson-May, the above 6 relievers, and Perkins.

You can see the pitching fire sale I would want at the deadline. That all won't happen, but it would be a radical move and I would like to see it at least in some less extreme form.

The playoff-ready bench should be: Pinto, Vargas, Arcia/Hicks, Escobar (Polanco starting SS), Kepler/Walker.

I realize that the Twins being a contender and trading Hunter will not happen at the same time, but alas. I would bet that Vargas isn't involved at all or Arcia is traded somehow to allow for Rosario-Buxton-Hunter. Someone LH has to be on that bench with some pop though. I think a playoff quality team has Oswaldo Arcia on the bench to use as PH pop. Suzuki could be embarrassing at the plate in the playoffs, so there might be Herrmann instead of Pinto if the Twins really still can't help Pinto behind the plate.

Edited by Shane Wahl, 06 July 2015 - 10:01 AM.

#3 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• 10,212 posts

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:55 AM

Would anyone else find it hilarious if Hunter was traded while we were still in the playoff hunt, ala 2007 and Luis Castillo, which caused him (and Johan) to flip out?  I know it can't happen due to no-trade clause, but it might have been funny.

• Mike Sixel likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pennant race, september call up, berrios, kepler, meyer