Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

MinnCentric Forums

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Twins Ink Doumit to Two-Year Extension

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,622 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:57 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...-Year-Extension

#2 Dilligaf69

Dilligaf69

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:54 PM

I like it' he's cheap and only for 2 yrs. It's fair for his production and IF he can stay healthy this will be one of the Twins best moves in a while. Plus it might actually increase his trade value say next yrs trade deadline if the Twins fall out of it again. Teams will be very interested in a good switch hitting multi position player for a very fair price with another yr left on his deal or we keep him and still make out...WIN WIN for us againif he's healthy.

#3 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,926 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:03 PM

Outside of Marquis (ugh) and Capps (more meh than anything), I like everything JR has done since the return.

#4 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:04 PM

It just struck me, but Doumit looks a lot like Kubel.

#5 crapforks

crapforks

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:21 PM

Doumit has no iris. It's all pupil. he clearly is a demon of some sort. We could use some dark forces on this team. All hail RD, the spawn of satan.

#6 CDog

CDog

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:27 PM

It just struck me, but Doumit looks a lot like Kubel.

That JUST struck you?????

#7 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:32 PM

That JUST struck you?????

I'm slow. What can I say? For a second they fooled me into thinking they had the same number too, but Kubes was #16.

Doumit has no iris. It's all pupil. he clearly is a demon of some sort. We could use some dark forces on this team. All hail RD, the spawn of satan.

Hawk doesn't call us the "bad guys" for nothing...

Edited by YourHouseIsMyHouse, 29 June 2012 - 10:34 PM.

#8 James Richter

James Richter

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:36 PM

Every position player on the 25-man roster is now under team control for 2013. I take this as a signal that the FO is going to make an effort not to field a dreadful team next season.

#9 CDog

CDog

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:40 PM

Every position player on the 25-man roster is now under team control for 2013. I take this as a signal that the FO is going to make an effort not to field a dreadful team next season.

Well now that's interesting. Hadn't really thought of it until you pointed it out. It very well might mean what you say it might mean...but regardless if it means anything or not, it's interesting (to me).

#10 minn55441

minn55441

• Members
  • 522 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:04 PM

Doumit is the perfect compliment to Joe Mauer. Add in the fact that he is a switch hitter and I love this signing. Now lets find some pitching.

#11 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

PMS jokes are the best, period.

• Members
  • 2,204 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:13 PM

Kubel is a better hitter, but Doumit's 'ability' to catch makes this a good deal to use him as a DH mostly. Though, this does mean that Butera is also a lock on the 25 man for the next two years, but if he continues to play like he has this year, I can stomach it while still disagreeing with the 3 catcher model.
Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

#12 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 2,735 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:32 PM

Doumit is a good addition if they see him as a role player, third catcher and pinch hitter. They also should have offered this deal knowing they are likely seeing his peak performance as a Twin. If they see him as an every day player or DH, he will block any future solution. His spot on the team makes it very difficult to give Parmelee any playing time. Maybe they have assessed that Parmelee has little value for the future.

#13 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 6,925 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:03 AM

His spot on the team makes it very difficult to give Parmelee any playing time. Maybe they have assessed that Parmelee has little value for the future.

I don't understand why Parmelee is not at AAA getting at bats.

#14 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 2,926 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 01:21 AM

I don't understand why Parmelee is not at AAA getting at bats.

Riiiiiiiight.

#15 DPJ

DPJ

Banned

• Banned
  • 636 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 05:19 AM

Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb! Why the hell are they giving multi year deals to injury-prone backup catchers? He's played well this season but that doesn't change he's a 31 year old defensively challenged injurty prone backup C/DH that the Twins felt they needed to lock. They could have moved him at the deadline or hell even keep him and figure out something in the off season, but there's not point to this extention. This is a move that stupid teams do.

Edited by DPJ, 30 June 2012 - 05:26 AM.

#16 DaveW

DaveW

<3 Mark Derosa <3

• Members
  • 10,159 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:15 AM

Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb!

Why the hell are they giving multi year deals to injury-prone backup catchers? He's played well this season but that doesn't change he's a 31 year old defensively challenged injurty prone backup C/DH that the Twins felt they needed to lock.

They could have moved him at the deadline or hell even keep him and figure out something in the off season, but there's not point to this extention. This is a move that stupid teams do.

I could understand this statement if the deal was 3 years/18 million or something like that, but its pretty hard to find anything to hate about a 2/7 deal.

#17 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:37 AM

Outside of Marquis (ugh) and Capps (more meh than anything), I like everything JR has done since the return.

I wouldn't let that opinion out on this site, you might not make it through the day...

#18 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 07:41 AM

Why the hell are they giving multi year deals to injury-prone backup catchers? He's played well this season but that doesn't change he's a 31 year old defensively challenged injurty prone backup C/DH that the Twins felt they needed to lock.

They could have moved him at the deadline or hell even keep him and figure out something in the off season, but there's not point to this extention. This is a move that stupid teams do.

Sure, I mean really: All of these at-bats should be going to Butera. What were the Twins thinking in locking up a flexible backup catcher that can hit for little money. Seriously!!!

#19 DPJ

DPJ

Banned

• Banned
  • 636 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:05 AM

Sure, I mean really: All of these at-bats should be going to Butera. What were the Twins thinking in locking up a flexible backup catcher that can hit for little money. Seriously!!!

Cause Son of Sal getting at-bats is what's gonna get this team back to being good again. Doumit isn't gonna make or break the future of this team so I don't understand why you sign a defensivly challenged catch/DH.

#20 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 14,926 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 08:06 AM

You'd rather see Butera out there? This is exactly what the Twins should be doing. Filling the roster with complementary players around Mauer & Co while still letting the young guys play. The Twins have a lot of free money this offseason to build a respectable pitching staff. Their bullpen looks good. The offense is decent. All they really need is starting pitching (admittedly the hardest thing to find).

This was a great move by JR. Sign Doumit now and keep him through 2014 or trade him at the deadline. We complained that Smith sat on his hands last deadline. JR is doing the opposite and I welcome the change.