Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Twins more willing to trade Span

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,745 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:20 PM

From http://www.cbssports...than-willingham

Twins want a young starter in return. Heyman mentions Nationals, Marlins and possibly the Yankees as potential partners. He says if the Twins don't get the offer they want, they'd hang onto Span.

#2 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:23 PM

I would sure hope so. Span should require a pretty nice prospect in return because the Twins have all the leverage in this scenario.

#3 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

I would sure hope so. Span should require a pretty nice prospect in return because the Twins have all the leverage in this scenario.

They need to get a major league pitcher or a major league ready pitcher (solid #2) in return. Can't be giving up Span for a guy 3 years away from the majors.

#4 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

They need to get a major league pitcher or a major league ready pitcher (solid #2) in return. Can't be giving up Span for a guy 3 years away from the majors.

Unless that guy is Dylan Bundy.....

#5 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:43 PM

Unless that guy is Dylan Bundy.....

Except it won't be Bundy or even close to a Bundy type guy..

#6 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,369 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:54 PM

The Giants gave up Wheeler a possible top of the rotation guy for 2 months of Betran last summer. Span for 2 months plus 2 years at a decent rate should be worth a top B+, A- prospect (I wouldn't take less). He may not have the impact bat that Beltran does but you get him for cheap and he should hold his value down the road if you need to move him. NO RELIEF pitchers!

#7 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:24 PM

The Giants gave up Wheeler a possible top of the rotation guy for 2 months of Betran last summer. Span for 2 months plus 2 years at a decent rate should be worth a top B+, A- prospect (I wouldn't take less). He may not have the impact bat that Beltran does but you get him for cheap and he should hold his value down the road if you need to move him. NO RELIEF pitchers!

I would be very surprised if the return was a top 50 prospect. Perhaps a top 100 guy, but more likely a guy in that 100-200 range would be the headliner for Span. Span and Beltran are two very different classes of player on the offensive end, and that's where the primary prospect value was driven. The Giants also got two draft picks out of the deal as well, which has some value. Wheeler was not a top 50 prospect coming into 2011, so even Beltran didn't warrant a top 50 guy.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#8 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:28 PM

I would be very surprised if the return was a top 50 prospect. Perhaps a top 100 guy, but more likely a guy in that 100-200 range would be the headliner for Span. Span and Beltran are two very different classes of player on the offensive end, and that's where the primary prospect value was driven. The Giants also got two draft picks out of the deal as well, which has some value. Wheeler was not a top 50 prospect coming into 2011, so even Beltran didn't warrant a top 50 guy.

Span is certainly worth more than a top 100 guy and worlds more than a 100-200 guy.

Yes Span isn't the hitter Beltran is, but he is an affordable CF leadoff guy who you can pencil into the spot for the next 3+ years.

#9 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 1,962 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:29 PM

From http://www.cbssports...than-willingham

Twins want a young starter in return. Heyman mentions Nationals, Marlins and possibly the Yankees as potential partners. He says if the Twins don't get the offer they want, they'd hang onto Span.

You know how I can tell Heyman knows baseball? The way he holds the bat in his photo on the blog.

#10 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 05:45 PM

In a perfect world you would trade Span for a Gio Gonzalez type pitcher. If that is actually available on the market at this point.

#11 MidwestMeat

MidwestMeat

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:10 PM

I don't know why all the rush for a league ready pitcher. Wouldn't it be smarter to get a very nice prospect that is 2 or 3 years out instead of a league ready 3 spot guy that will waste his first 2 or 3 years throwing on a noncontending team? There is more risk that way but I believe our potential depth at both leadoff and OF justify it. We aren't EVER getting past the yankees in the first round if we don't figure out some way to get some true top of the rotation talent.

#12 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:11 PM

Span is a dime a dozen. He's a good, not great CF that doesn't get on base, hits for no power, and no longer steals bases. If I was an opposing GM I would not be giving up anything considered valuable for him.

#13 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:56 PM

Span is a dime a dozen. He's a good, not great CF that doesn't get on base, hits for no power, and no longer steals bases.

If I was an opposing GM I would not be giving up anything considered valuable for him.

He's a very good defensive CF who is one of the better lead off men in baseball, his career OBP is .358 so he gets on base plenty and adds some decent pop as well (4 away from hitting his career best in 2B in a season). 104 Career OPS+ with playing a premium position and being signed to a team friendly contract gives him plenty of value. As far as the SB comment goes, he is on pace to swipe 16-18 and I wonder with a more aggressive manager if he couldn't give you SB a year agian.

#14 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:57 PM

I don't know why all the rush for a league ready pitcher. Wouldn't it be smarter to get a very nice prospect that is 2 or 3 years out instead of a league ready 3 spot guy that will waste his first 2 or 3 years throwing on a noncontending team? There is more risk that way but I believe our potential depth at both leadoff and OF justify it. We aren't EVER getting past the yankees in the first round if we don't figure out some way to get some true top of the rotation talent.

Yeah its a good argument, honestly you prob just take the best arm available, but I would feel alot better if said pitcher was less than 1 year away from the majors as every top pitching prospect has had some bad luck in the Twins system the past 4-5 years. Guerra, Gibson, Whimmers, Hunt,etc

#15 Dilligaf69

Dilligaf69

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:59 PM

Absolutely! but why would the Skanks want Span??? would they use Grand strictly as DH?? and I guess they would drop him in the order and take adv of his power and more RBI opps then Span could bat leadoff but what do they have to offer?? Seems like they make out better in these trades then not.. I know gardner is hurt so that may be a concern if he's coming back.

Edited by Dilligaf69, 29 June 2012 - 07:05 PM.

#16 Dilligaf69

Dilligaf69

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:01 PM

Span is a dime a dozen. He's a good, not great CF that doesn't get on base, hits for no power, and no longer steals bases.

If I was an opposing GM I would not be giving up anything considered valuable for him.

??? explain! good thing your not.

#17 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:54 PM

No GM may want to give up something of value for Span, but to get him, they are going to have to. He has his flaws, no doubt, but contrary to what some around here think, he's going to be expensive, as he will be in demband. I'd hope they get a AA front line pitcher personally, and possibly another higher ceiling guy in the low minors. This is one area where I do trust Terry Ryan, and the idea of him being the guy pulling trigger on potential Span, Willingham, and Liriano trades makes me happy.

#18 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,383 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:54 PM

Sellers market... Nearly everyone is in contention.... It'll be a good year to be out of contention. Sellers: CF type or lead off potential. Houston... Altuve... Not going anywhere. Schaefer... Span is clearly better at this point. Cubs... DeJesus Not a leadoff guy... Nor a CF... Even though he is holding down both. Rockies... Fowler... Span has been more consistent over his career. Fowler has always been a big potential guy but Contending teams want Production now... Not the hope of production. Fowler has been coming around but Span is the better of the two... right? Now if the Rockies decide to move Cargo... Look out but he still not a leadoff guy. Padres... Maybin or Denorfia or Venable. None are in Spans neighborhood. Oakland... Crisp... Leadoff CF... Do you like Crisp over Span? Seattle... Ichiro... Could be a leadoff but he's old and well compensated. Stats on the decline. Might be locked into Seattle forever. Everyone else is around buyer territory. Looks like a great supply and demand market.

#19 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,208 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:19 PM

Sellers market... Nearly everyone is in contention.... It'll be a good year to be out of contention.

Sellers: CF type or lead off potential.

Houston... Altuve... Not going anywhere. Schaefer... Span is clearly better at this point.

Cubs... DeJesus Not a leadoff guy... Nor a CF... Even though he is holding down both.

Rockies... Fowler... Span has been more consistent over his career. Fowler has always been a big potential guy but Contending teams want Production now... Not the hope of production. Fowler has been coming around but Span is the better of the two... right? Now if the Rockies decide to move Cargo... Look out but he still not a leadoff guy.

Padres... Maybin or Denorfia or Venable. None are in Spans neighborhood.

Oakland... Crisp... Leadoff CF... Do you like Crisp over Span?

Seattle... Ichiro... Could be a leadoff but he's old and well compensated. Stats on the decline. Might be locked into Seattle forever.

Everyone else is around buyer territory. Looks like a great supply and demand market.

Excellent analysis, Brian. A bidding war between contending teams would produce the best value,

#20 Pius Jefferson

Pius Jefferson

The Southern Dandy

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:33 PM

Doing a quick search the one pitching prospect for the Marlins worth anything is Jose Hernandez and no way they give him up for Denard Span.

#21 twinsfanstreif

twinsfanstreif

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:41 PM

Except it won't be Bundy or even close to a Bundy type guy..

I know won't get Bundy but in reality you shouldn't ex players off the list just because they are 3 years away, that was my point.

#22 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:24 PM

I really want Span to be traded because I think Revere is our leadoff guy and CF. However, if a trade were completed, I keep getting the feeling that whatever the Twins get in return will have me disappointed.

#23 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,383 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:27 PM

• Excellent analysis, Brian. A bidding war between contending teams would produce the best value,

Thanks Glunn... It's just a bunch of names thown together quickly but I appreciate it. You have a good soul.

#24 CDog

CDog

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:33 PM

Thanks Glunn... You have a good soul.

Do you have the statistics to back that up? (That was the first time I've made myself giggle in a while.)

#25 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:40 PM

Do you have the statistics to back that up? (That was the first time I've made myself giggle in a while.)

Riverbrian has a 1.72 KSFT (Kittens Saved from Trees). That's slightly above average (1.70) so I say he gets the call. That's also a new advanced sabermetric, so it took me a while to calculate.

#26 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:59 PM

There's just nothing special about Span that would make me want to give something up for him.

#27 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:07 PM

There's just nothing special about Span that would make me want to give something up for him.

Yep, we've already got you down for that. Let us know if anything changes.
Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

#28 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,230 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:01 AM

Is having "something special" a requirement for making a trade now?

#29 Fatt Crapps

Fatt Crapps

• Members
  • 320 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:05 AM

Ummm...

#30 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:18 AM

The Giants also got two draft picks out of the deal as well, which has some value.

Thats an interesting point. Will buyers give up less for potential free agents now that thy DON'T get back draft picks when they walk? Not that important for Span, but it is for others.

JM$.02, I thnk Span is worth quite a bit. He has the solid D, good OBP, and is a true lead off guy that can play a defensive position. I wrote a story a few weeks ago finding teams & there are even more now.