Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Crasnick: Twins close to multi-year contract with Doumit

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:55 PM

ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick reports that the Twins and Ryan Doumit are close to a multi-year deal. 1500ESPN.com's Darren Wolfson says that the deal will be for two additional seasons.

UPDATE: Wolfson says it's a two year, $7 million deal.

What do you think of this decision?

Edited by Parker Hageman, 29 June 2012 - 03:16 PM.

#2 Pius Jefferson

Pius Jefferson

The Southern Dandy

• Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 01:58 PM

What would he be worth on the trade market?

#3 Highabove

Highabove

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:05 PM

Ryan probably feels that Doumit will give the Team flexibly on how they use Mauer.

#4 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,937 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:13 PM

Absolutely. This is the way it should be done. Either get him locked up now or ship him off somewhere at the deadline. Well played, JR.

#5 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:16 PM

you cant trade everyone.....Doumit fits an absolute need. Of course, we still need to keep a backup C to keep Gardys nerves settled.

#6 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:17 PM

From the moment he signed, I thought he was a great stop-gap combo player with Mauer, in that he had a good switch-hitting bat and could play 1B or RF also. I was really hoping he'd be able to offer more in terms of defensive versatility, but for $3m he's been a bargain. It will be interesting to see how long of an extention he signs, given that I thought Chris Herrmann, part-time C/part-time OF, would be a perfect compliment to the $23m/year man. I'll hold off forming an opinion til we know the figures.

#7 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,168 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:19 PM

Doumit's a decent hitter, but I've not been impressed with his catching ability. And he's not that great of a hitter that I'd like him as a regular DH, either. As a backup he's fine. I'd have to see the details before getting worked up over this.

#8 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:21 PM

This would be a good move for the Twins. I like having a back-up catcher that can actually hit.

#9 twinswon1991

twinswon1991

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

If a weak hitting catcher that cant stay healthy or behind the plate for that matter is worth 23 mil per year what is Doumit worth? I'd say a 4 year deal at 50 mil per is about right. I hope this is a precursor to a Mauer salary dump trade or is his deal so bad you couldn't give him away?

#10 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

If a weak hitting catcher that cant stay healthy or behind the plate for that matter is worth 23 mil per year what is Doumit worth? I'd say a 4 year deal at 50 mil per is about right.

I hope this is a precursor to a Mauer salary dump trade or is his deal so bad you couldn't give him away?

Dankind? Is that you?

#11 mnfireman

mnfireman

• Members
  • 192 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

Mauer may not be "worth" $23 M per but who really is? It was what the market would have dictated had he been allowed to test the FA waters. And with 2009 being the exception, he is right around his career slash numbers. He has been fairly healthy this season and productive. Signing Doumit is a good idea in my view, he is putting up almost exactly his career splits and he's not so horrible that 1 or 2 days behind the plate hurt the team. Now if this was about Butera.....

#12 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 02:53 PM

I like Doumit and because of their flexibility it still shouldn't affect Chris Herrmann. Mauer can catch, DH and play 1B. Herrmann can catch and play LF and RF well. Doumit can catch and DH.

#13 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,732 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:02 PM

I like Doumit and because of their flexibility it still shouldn't affect Chris Herrmann. Mauer can catch, DH and play 1B. Herrmann can catch and play LF and RF well. Doumit can catch and DH.

Who? On the ESPN roster I see no Chris Herrmann... Just kidding. I don't think you should be worried about Chris Herrmann demanding playing time in Minnesota.

#14 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:04 PM

Who? On the ESPN roster I see no Chris Herrmann... Just kidding. I don't think you should be worried about Chris Herrmann demanding playing time in Minnesota.

Yeah, if he makes it up in 2013 its a good problem to have.

Plus if Span is traded suddenly the RF position opens again which Doumit could help fill. Ideally you have a guy like Arcia/Hicks or Benson step up next season....but in the case of Benson and Hicks things don't look very positive for them to be impact players in 2013, Arcia is the wild card I imagine, and if that is the case you simply play Doumit as DH. (Assuming Herrmann is the back up catcher-unlikely)

#15 wavedog

wavedog

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:07 PM

If its about for the same amount of money per year and for 2 years that would be ok. I like him fine as off the bench and as a spot fill-in hitter. He is certainly worth as much as Nishioka. Haha!

#16 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:07 PM

I agree that Herrmann isn't forcing himself onto the roster... and even if he was playing better this year, I just showed that it can still work... As pointed out above, there would still need to be a third catcher, and these three all provide some flexibility.

#17 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:11 PM

Well with three catchers on the roster in 2013 or 2014, there has to be NO WAY Butera makes the roster...right?!

#18 wavedog

wavedog

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

Looks like we signed him => 2 years and $7M - not bad.

#19 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,663 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:14 PM

Very reasonable contract... makes it really difficult to find any fault in it.

#20 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,339 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:16 PM

On the subject of backup catchers, has anyone noticed that The Greatest Defensive Catcher of All-Time will be super-2 eligible this offseason? I know I'm looking forward to the Twins paying a guy that can't OPS .500 a million dollars next season.

#21 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,142 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:16 PM

For $3.5m/year, I'll take it. Best Twins news since Monday.

#22 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:19 PM

As a stopgap when Mauer plays first and you need someone other than Butera behind-the-plate, yes. Assuming Morneau stays around for another year, then it looks like the beginning of this season all over again...with Parmelee in the mix you have four rotating in four spaces. A couple of years is fine. He would not be a fulltime catcher/1B/RF anywhere. And, folks, Hermann still has to make the 40-man and then still has four seasons before needing to be in the bigs fulltime. Who knows, maybe next year he will be the bench/third catcher guy.

#23 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

On the subject of backup catchers, has anyone noticed that The Greatest Defensive Catcher of All-Time will be super-2 eligible this offseason?

I know I'm looking forward to the Twins paying a guy that can't OPS .500 a million dollars next season.

LOL (word limit)

#24 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:24 PM

For $3.5m/year, I'll take it. Best Twins news since Monday.

Very good signing, immediately adds depth at an important position and a solid bat for the next two years. The Twins couldn't do any better on the upcoming FA market IMO.
Now hopefully he can just stay healthy (knocks on wood)

#25 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 03:49 PM

On the subject of backup catchers, has anyone noticed that The Greatest Defensive Catcher of All-Time will be super-2 eligible this offseason?

I know I'm looking forward to the Twins paying a guy that can't OPS .500 a million dollars next season.

He's next to get a multi yr deal to buy out his arbitration.....or woulda been if Bill Smith was still here.

#26 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,384 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

Good deal. Now if they find a way to get rid of Butera...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#27 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:11 PM

That certainly one-ups the news coming from the original post. Any ideas to what Pavano does without his partner in crime?

#28 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

Great deal, $3.5 million barely buys you any competent player who could be a free agent. It gives us lots of flexibility and doesn't harm our ability to get a competent SP or two.

#29 chavez

chavez

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:33 PM

Maybe TR has something in the works to ship Morneau and this will help facilitate trading him and moving Maur to 1st base.

#30 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 04:34 PM

Signing Doumit to a 2 year deal is just like making a trade!