Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Brian Dozier All-Star?

voting defense home runs
  • Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 stringer bell

stringer bell

WAR? What is it good for?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,971 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 14 June 2015 - 09:58 PM

I don't pay much attention to All-Star voting.I know that no Twins will be voted in, and I agree with that decision. Further, I know that Brian Dozier isn't in the Top 5 in voting at his position. However, with each passing day I am more and more convinced that Dozier both could be and should be in Cincinnati for the All-Star game next month.

Last year I had hopes until the last day that Dozier would be named as a late sub for a middle infield injury because he was already participating in the Home Run Derby and the game was in Minneapolis. This year, I have hope he will be named to the squad and think that he deserves the honor. Dozier supplies power and extra-base sock from the second base position. He is a fine base runner and a good defender. Let's look at the numbers, shall we? Fueled by a high number of walks, Dozier's OBP is tied for third, trailing the guy who should start (Kipnis) and Dustin Pedroia. He is the leader in slugging and second in OPS (behind Kipnis). Dozier also leads all AL second basemen is home runs, runs, and RBI. Brian is also second in WAR, again behind Kipnis.

Now for the downside. There is big competition at second base. Defending batting champ Jose Altuve is a fine player, as are Pedroia and Ian Kinsler. Robbie Cano also has been a perennial All-Star, but this year has struggled mightily. Altuve leads in the voting and Kipnis is a near guarantee to be in Cincinnati. Dozier would have to prevail over All-Stars Pedroia and Kinsler to make it as the third second baseman. The best thing that could happen would be for Kipnis to overtake Altuve, but it doesn't look like that will happen.

The best way for Dozier to make the All-Star team is for him to keep producing. With less than a month to go before selections are made, he certainly has stepped up his game and I hope he gets the deserved honor.

#2 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 14 June 2015 - 10:32 PM

Kipnis should be over Dozier.

Pedroia is a toss-up based on the line.Higher BA, lower SLG, similar OBP.I prefer Dozier but I could see Pedroia.

Altuve doesn't belong in the Game based on stats so far, he's 4th.

Kinsler also leaves much to be desired.He is worse in everyway to Pedroia and a sub-400 SLG isn't going to cut it.He's 5th.

Cano and Infante are evidence why fans shouldn't get to vote.

Edited by SgtSchmidt11, 14 June 2015 - 10:35 PM.

#3 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 02:00 PM

Cano and Infante are evidence why fans shouldn't get to vote.

Or evidence why more fans should vote... I think Kansas City fans figured out an efficient ballot stuffing method.

have you ("you" as in every Twins fan) voted for Dozier lately? 

#4 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 15 June 2015 - 02:42 PM

Or evidence why more fans should vote... I think Kansas City fans figured out an efficient ballot stuffing method.

I disagree.  If Infante gets voted to start, he takes away a spot from Kipnis or Dozier more than likely.  A team's fandom shouldn't be gauged on how many internet votes they can achieve.  Let the best players play in the game and let the fans choose the last guy off the bench if you really want a fan vote.

#5 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 428 posts

Posted 15 June 2015 - 04:16 PM

I did, but I didn't feel like voting 40 times either.

I also challenged myself to vote for only one member of each team (seriously why doesn't the voting make you do this?

Or you could have a cap on how many players you could select from each team like 3 or so.

Edited by SgtSchmidt11, 15 June 2015 - 04:16 PM.

#6 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 07:46 AM

I disagree.  If Infante gets voted to start, he takes away a spot from Kipnis or Dozier more than likely.  A team's fandom shouldn't be gauged on how many internet votes they can achieve.  Let the best players play in the game and let the fans choose the last guy off the bench if you really want a fan vote.

I don't think fans should be voting for starters either, but to take that away from the fans at this point seems punitive.  

The problem is that the game actually has an impact on the outcome of the World Series, so the players selected to each team are more significant than if it were a true exhibition.

If I were a KC fan working the ballots, I'd vote for the worst NL players on the ballot while selecting Royals... you want the NL team to be terrible so the AL gets home field, right?

Switching from paper ballots + online to online only must be saving MLB some money...

#7 Jaykay

Jaykay

Puerto Rico Joe

• Members
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:14 AM

He's been the second best 2B in the AL this year. He should be in, but i'm sure he won't be. 

#8 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• Members
  • 9,773 posts

Posted 16 June 2015 - 09:32 AM

The fans vote for, what, 9 or 10 players on each roster?  Each roster has, what, 33 something players on it? The starters usually only play like 3 innings and the fans usually get a good chunk of the starters right or at least arguably right. Have to remember that the voting starts way early and if one starts voting early, a player who looks worthy in May might not end up worthy in July but the votes count.

It's really not as big of a deal as many make it out to be.

Edited by jimmer, 16 June 2015 - 09:35 AM.

#9 DaveW

DaveW

Aaron Hicks update (5/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts
  • LocationNYC aka Aaron Hicks Ville

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:31 PM

I think you could fix the problem fairly easily and still allow the fans a chance to vote.

Simply stop opening up all star voting like 20-30 games into a season, yes Cano is having a down year but he is coming off a really nice year and several more prior to that, I don't fault folks early in the season for voting in a guy like Cano because its either you go off a 162+ game sample size the year prior or a 20-30 game sample size in the current year.

Instead I would like to see MLB open up the voting 3 weeks prior to the all star game and only having the "window" open for a total of 10-14 days, this way you stop people from making regrettable early season/early impression votes, stop people from stuffing the ballot as much and sort of "drive" everyone to vote at once.

Of course because the all star game has sponsors for the ballot itself, ad dollars on the sites etcthis likely will never happen. So of course the easier solution is to just stop with this "this time it counts!" garbage and go back to a fun exhibition style game. I would even be up for instead of having one 9 inning game, have a double header featuring two 7 inning games, that way every player gets more playing time and two to three at bats. If it is tied after 7 innings, go into a sudden death home run derby. (Each side gets 3 players and 5 pitches per player)

Edited by SpiritofVodkaDave, 17 June 2015 - 02:32 PM.

• gil4 and nicksaviking like this

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#10 DaveW

DaveW

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:33 PM

It's really not as big of a deal as many make it out to be.

It wouldn't be a big deal if the game didn't determine home field advantage.

Aaron Hicks 2017 stats so far (5/17/17): .326 BA .464 OBP .616 SLG 1.080 OPS  7 HR 19 RBI 6 SB 22 BBs 1.8WAR

#11 jimmer

jimmer

• Members
  • 9,773 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:35 PM

It wouldn't be a big deal if the game didn't determine home field advantage.

I think I laid out why it's really not a big deal regardless of that. 

#12 jimmer

jimmer

• Members
  • 9,773 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:36 PM

But yes, the voting should only be opened, at most, a month before the All Star game.

• Willihammer likes this

#13 DaveW

DaveW

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:40 PM

I think I laid out why it's really not a big deal regardless of that. 

Most starters get at least 2 at bats. Having a guy like Omar Infante getting two at bats instead of a guy like Dozier or Kipinis etc can have a pretty really effect on a single ball game.

#14 DaveW

DaveW

• Banned
  • 13,014 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:41 PM

Also every third year or so they should do a team USA vs the World roster.

#15 dougkoebernick

dougkoebernick

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:52 PM

Since each team needs a representative then it would appear as though that would increase Dozier's chances. Who else should even be considered for the All Star Game from the Twins other than Perkins?

#16 dougkoebernick

dougkoebernick

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:53 PM

Since each team needs a representative then it would appear as though that would increase Dozier's chances. Who else should even be considered for the All Star Game from the Twins other than Perkins or Dozier?

#17 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,986 posts

Posted 17 June 2015 - 02:59 PM

Since each team needs a representative then it would appear as though that would increase Dozier's chances. Who else should even be considered for the All Star Game from the Twins other than Perkins?

Yup, that's the key.Managers on teams that don't get guys voted in almost always get to 'nominate' their token guy to add.I can't imagine a scenario where Dozier isn't that guy.

That said, both Perkins and Dozier will be going barring injury or gigantic slump.The fans may be clueless, but the rest of the system has gotten better about getting the best players on the team.

Edited by nicksaviking, 17 June 2015 - 03:00 PM.

• dougkoebernick likes this

#18 stringer bell

stringer bell

WAR? What is it good for?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,971 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 17 June 2015 - 04:14 PM

If a less-worthy guy wins the voting for second base, I think Dozier's chances are less than 50-50.Kipness is having an even better year and if a third 2b is taken (not a guarantee) Pedroia is a better known guy having a really good year and Altuve is the defending batting champion.Kinsler is yet another candidate, although I think his numbers aren't in the same category as Dozier, Pedroia and Kipness.

#19 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 08:11 AM

The KC thing is BS.People used to bitch about the Yankees because they have the biggest fan base, but I don't remember this ever happening.I think they should get rid of the internet voting, go back to the old way, at least then the people who are actually buying tickets and sitting at the games are the ones actually voting.

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#20 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 11,986 posts

Posted 18 June 2015 - 11:01 AM

If a less-worthy guy wins the voting for second base, I think Dozier's chances are less than 50-50.Kipness is having an even better year and if a third 2b is taken (not a guarantee) Pedroia is a better known guy having a really good year and Altuve is the defending batting champion.Kinsler is yet another candidate, although I think his numbers aren't in the same category as Dozier, Pedroia and Kipness.

I think Dozier's snub last year will carry some weight.Besides, if the decision comes down to Ned Yost, I can't imagine his long relationship with Paul Molitor could hurt. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: voting, defense, home runs