Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Get Buxton, NOW!

buxton outfield
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
10 replies to this topic

#1 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,636 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 13 June 2015 - 03:15 PM

Just saw the Rangers tie up a game, where a ball hit to deep left field was played off the wall by Edwardo Escobar, allowing a runner to score easily from third. Okay, that guy was going to score anyway, but a regular major league outfielder catches that ball.

Fly ball pitchers like Mike Pelfrey need a good-fielding team in order to succeed. Consider the following during the Rangers big inning: Rosario LF, Buxton CF, Hicks RF. On the play where Texas scored its first run of the inning, ball was hit to Rosario in RF. Rosario assumed the run was going to score, takes an extra hop before throwing to Dozier. Hicks would have gunned it sooner and faster, stopping the run. On the subsequent deep fly to Escobar, Rosario would have caught the ball, at least getting an out from the play.

In other words, simply pushing your second and third-best outfielders to the corners would have saved Pelfrey at least one run and at least one out, in a single inning. Over the course of a game, that kind of play can help a pitcher win, or as we are seeing, the lack of good outfield play can make it almost impossible for a pitcher like Pelfrey to survive.

Call. Up. Buxton. #Whoyagotthatsbetter?

Update: 5th inning, fly ball hit to left-center, deep. Robinson can't get there, two runs score. Buxton gets there, makes the catch easily for the third out.

Edited by jimbo92107, 13 June 2015 - 03:49 PM.

The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#2 drock2190

drock2190

• 1,413 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 03:41 PM

Except Pelfrey isn't a fly ball pitcher,he's a ground ball one.
  • Kwak and bulldozier14 like this

#3 Hrbowski

Hrbowski

Minnesota Twins

• 2,581 posts
  • LocationA small town city

Posted 13 June 2015 - 03:54 PM

I would agree, and with Torii suspended and Hicks hurt, I think there is a good chance he debuts tomorrow. The kid is hitting .421 in his last ten games, and he has been hot all year, and while they are at it  they should call up Sano, Meyer, and Burdi, who has a 1.56 ERA in his last 17.1, plus 21 strikeouts and 5 walks. I think they need to get the young guys up now.

• nicksaviking and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

I hate Trevor Bauer.

#4 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,863 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 13 June 2015 - 03:59 PM

I would agree, and with Torii suspended and Hicks hurt, I think there is a good chance he debuts tomorrow. The kid is hitting .421 in his last ten games, and he has been hot all year, and while they are at it  they should call up Sano, Meyer, and Burdi, who has a 1.56 ERA in his last 17.1, plus 21 strikeouts and 5 walks. I think they need to get the young guys up now.

And because of Stauffer, there is a spot open on the 40-man.

I always wanted to know what it would be like to simultaneously experience the 1918 flu,  Great Depression, and 1968 mass protests while Andrew Johnson was president.

#5 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,390 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 04:13 PM

Your prayers are answered. Per Provus: He is being called up!
  • luckylager and PseudoSABR like this
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#6 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,863 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 13 June 2015 - 04:15 PM

@MillerStrib: Byron Buxton, Twins' top prospect in years, has been called up to the majors. He'll join the Twins for his debut Sunday in Arlington.
  • luckylager and PseudoSABR like this

I always wanted to know what it would be like to simultaneously experience the 1918 flu,  Great Depression, and 1968 mass protests while Andrew Johnson was president.

#7 Kwak

Kwak

• 2,939 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 04:15 PM

Where's Mike?  This is the type of threads to which I referred.

#8 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

Señor Member

• 4,636 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 13 June 2015 - 04:31 PM

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! I feel pretty, pretty psychic.... ! ;-)

Five minutes after my update, they call up the kid.

Hugging self at this time.

• Hosken Bombo Disco likes this
The door opened. A woman screamed. Someday, my mom would learn to knock.

#9 70charger

70charger

• 4,420 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 04:32 PM

Well, there ya go.

#10 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• 845 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 04:33 PM

I am so nervous. I feel like a father on the night before his first child's birth. Except my baby's mama has been carrying this baby longer than an elephant does (22 months).

#11 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 13 June 2015 - 04:51 PM

Locking it up. Continue here.

http://twinsdaily.co...on/#entry353499

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: buxton, outfield