Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Thursday's Minor League Round-up

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:24 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...League-Round-up

#2 clutterheart

clutterheart

• Members
  • 659 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:50 PM

Free Josh Burris Time for him to make his first big league start tomorrow

#3 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:09 PM

Too bad that ELIZs best hitter (Rory Rhodes) has already shown he cant hit Low A pitching

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:56 PM

Too bad that ELIZs best hitter (Rory Rhodes) has already shown he cant hit Low A pitching

There is a fairly large increase in talent from the Appy League to the Midwest League... And, he's so young. The new rules that allow Rhodes to stay in short-season for this season are great for players from Australia, Taiwan, etc. Best thing for him. I like Rhodes and his power. He could be solid.

#5 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,215 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:11 PM

Good job on this report. I am glad to see Buxton get his first hit.

#6 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:34 AM

Arcia ended the game in walk-off fashion with a two-run line-drive single to right field. He continues to raise his prospect status.

It's probably just me, but it appears like NBR has been winning more games since Arcia's promotion (fairly brief). Regardless, here at TD we love Ozzie Arcia.

#7 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 12:37 AM

Oh, and this Elizabethton team is spectacular.

#8 CK

CK

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 06:18 AM

Promote EVERYONE Kansas City Royals style. They've been so succesful with this philosophy.

#9 TRex

TRex

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:24 AM

Promote EVERYONE Kansas City Royals style.
They've been so succesful with this philosophy.

Your statement made me think about the Twins of the early 2000's being promoted together, so I looked over the minor league rosters. Not surprisingly, the New Britain Rock Cats went 83-59 and the following players all had over 225 PA:

Chad Allen (yawn)
Cristian Guzman
Torii Hunter
Jacques Jones
Doug Mientkiewicz
Chad Moeller
A.J. Peirzynski

I doubt we will ever see a single minor league squad contain so many players good enough to stay in the big leagues for over 6 years (even though they may have not been the most talented).

The pitching staff also had Mark Redman, Joe Mays, JC Romero, and Mike Lincoln (who has had a lot of success with the Pirates).

Edited by TRex, 29 June 2012 - 07:27 AM.

#10 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:59 AM

Romy already has more HRs in Eliz's bandbox league than he did in 3 previous seasons. Eliz stats inflate too much. Like hitting in the bandboxes out West in AAA.

#11 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:28 AM

Romy already has more HRs in Eliz's bandbox league than he did in 3 previous seasons.

Eliz stats inflate too much. Like hitting in the bandboxes out West in AAA.

yeah, he's doing well, but between SSS and the fact that he's 20 years old in that league, I'm not really ready to ride that bandwagon just yet. It would be nice to see him ride this out and head back to Beloit with some success and confidence...

#12 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

Good to see Sano get back into the HR column with a nice night. Also nice to see Arcia starting to hit again after a pretty brutal start in AA.

#13 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:55 AM

Romy already has more HRs in Eliz's bandbox league than he did in 3 previous seasons.

Eliz stats inflate too much. Like hitting in the bandboxes out West in AAA.

In that case you should credit the ETwins' pitching staff for only allowing 5 HR's so far. The 1.85 team ERA is pretty good too

#14 Vervehound

Vervehound

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:11 AM

yeah, he's doing well, but between SSS and the fact that he's 20 years old in that league, I'm not really ready to ride that bandwagon just yet. It would be nice to see him ride this out and head back to Beloit with some success and confidence...

correct. at this point, he's the next ozzie lewis.

#15 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,632 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:46 PM

In that case you should credit the ETwins' pitching staff for only allowing 5 HR's so far. The 1.85 team ERA is pretty good too

That's the one thing I've been pretty excited to see.... Too lazy to figure out if these guys are young for the league or not, but every time I look at a box score, one of these guys is striking out far more than 1 guy an inning... Hope that holds up in Beloit.

#16 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:27 PM

20 years old is not at all old for the Appalachian League.