Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Game Thread: Twins vs. Royals 6/8/15 7:10 PM

season series speed defense power home field
  • Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#1 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,042 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:53 PM

The Twins take on the Royal at Target Field today. The winner of today's game will take over first place in the American League Central. The Twins and Royals have split the first six games of their season series. The Royals started the season on a tear. They have been at or near the top of the division since the season started. The Twins started slow in April, but caught fire in May. They currently hold a one-game lead in the Central.

Here's a look at the prospects for today's game: Who's Hot/Who's Not--(HOT) Royals bullpen. They've been the #1 strength of the team this year and last year. If the Royals get a lead in the seventh, the game is basically over. Royals are #1 in run suppression in the American League. They have a staff of hard throwers and perhaps the best defense in baseball. (NOT) Offense. No one is going really well and several regulars are struggling (Cain, Rios, Perez, Morales). The Royals now rank just behind the Twins in runs scored per game next to last in homers.(HOT) Brian Dozier leads the league in runs scored, extra base hits and doubles, leads second sackers in homers. Dozier has never hit .250 in a season and currently is hitting .267. Twins starters are a net 24-15 with a 3.89 ERA, a huge improvement from the last three years. (NOT) Most of the lineup is struggling. Starting shortstop Danny Santana was sent to AAA on Sunday. 

Starters: Phil Hughes vs. Jason Vargas. Hugheshasn't been the pitcher he was in 2014. He's been okay in most starts, but has allowed too many home runs. His strikeouts and velocity are down. This will be Hughes first start this year against the Royals. Vargas was hit pretty hard by the Twins in two early starts, getting a loss and a no-decision. He spent time on the Disabled List and so far hasn't gone longer than six innings in any game. 

The Royals were eight games over .500 in April, but have played .500 ball since. This is a pretty big series for early June. A series win would be nice for Minnesota, but there is a lot of season left. If either team sweeps, it will be a big boost. Short of that, the battle will go on. I like the Twins to win the opener with some power and solid pitching from Hughes.  

• glunn, JB_Iowa, Blake and 1 other like this

#2 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,042 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 08 June 2015 - 02:55 PM

Lineups to follow!

I'm posting this early because tonight is league golf night.I should be able to check in by the middle innings.Best of luck to my favorite team.

• glunn and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#3 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:14 PM

just curious: what happened to spaces after periods? whynotremovethemall?

#4 formerly33

formerly33

resurrector of the dead in my spare time

• Members
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:23 PM

becausethatwouldgetwaytoocomplicated. :)

Edited by always33, 08 June 2015 - 03:23 PM.

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

#5 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:25 PM

Isn't Brock trying to answer this question?  But I don't  have any trouble putting them in although it will only allow me one not two.

Edited by JB_Iowa, 08 June 2015 - 03:26 PM.

You've Gotta Have Heart.  All You Really Need Is Heart.

When the Odds Are Saying "You'll Never Win", That's When The Grin Should Start!

#6 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:34 PM

Isn't Brock trying to answer this question?  But I don't  have any trouble putting them in although it will only allow me one not two.

i'll probably get branded as grammar police, but i'm really curious about the no spaces after periods that some posters seem to favor. by the way, one space (not two) is the modern way to go -- two is from the old days of typesetting.

nevertheless (and back to baseball), i'm anxious to see what vargas.2 can bring to the lineup ...
  • Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#7 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,346 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:37 PM

becausethatwouldgetwaytoocomplicated. :)

#youguysunderstandtwitter #savingspaces

• formerly33 likes this

#8 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

It’s all in the eyes of the beholder.

• Twins Mods
  • 21,195 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:39 PM

It's a glitch … for those using Firefox. If you use a double space after punctuation, it shows no space when you post. The trick is to use only one space after punctuation, then it reverts to normal. Those of us who once upon a time used actual typewriters, both manual and electric, were taught to use a double space after punctuation. So, it's difficult for us to revert to the one-space methodology which I have been told is standard and correct. Right, Brock?

Edit: And, incidentally, there wasn't an issue for me using Chrome or Safari, so … and I think I have since learned to type only one-spaced after punctuation.

• glunn and JB_Iowa like this

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#9 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,428 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:40 PM

yeah, it's a bug with this software.You can put 1 space after a period and it's fine. Follow proper grammar rules with two spaces, and it gets rid of it.

That said, let's hope the Twins make a statement about being for real.Sweep baby.

• glunn likes this

#10 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:41 PM

#youguysunderstandtwitter #savingspaces

makes sense -- hadn't thought of that (wait'll you get to be my age!). sincere thanks.
  • Vanimal46 likes this

#11 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:45 PM

again, thanks everyone. (and one space IS proper modern grammar; at least no space won't bug me anymore!)

back to baseball ...
  • Carole Keller likes this

#12 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Opener Poster

• Members
  • 10,346 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 08 June 2015 - 03:53 PM

makes sense -- hadn't thought of that (wait'll you get to be my age!). sincere thanks.

Oh don't worry, it's already happening to me with technology and I'm 25! A friend of mine showed me an app called Periscope and I was completely lost.

• mickeymental likes this

#13 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 2,105 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:03 PM

again, thanks everyone. (and one space IS proper modern grammar; at least no space won't bug me anymore!)

back to baseball ...

For someone entering his comments from a Commodore 64, only having one space after a period seems very radical and subversive.  Accepting change is hard sometimes.

• Carole Keller, glunn, JB_Iowa and 3 others like this

#14 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Mathematically inclined primate

• Members
  • 8,269 posts
  • LocationThe Congo Basin

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:06 PM

i'll probably get branded as grammar police, but i'm really curious about the no spaces after periods that some posters seem to favor. by the way, one space (not two) is the modern way to go -- two is from the old days of typesetting.
nevertheless (and back to baseball), i'm anxious to see what vargas.2 can bring to the lineup ...

While we're at it, sentences begin with a capital letter. :)
  • Carole Keller, glunn, D. Hocking and 3 others like this

Mathematics knows no races or geographic boundaries;
for mathematics, the cultural world is one country. - David Hilbert

#15 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

• Members
  • 8,269 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:07 PM

This should be a really fun series, and a good benchmark for where this team is at.
  • glunn likes this

#16 formerly33

formerly33

• Members
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:11 PM

I'm not old (most of you already know that), and I used to think that periods/colons/question marks/exclamation points (am I missing anything?) were supposed to follow up with double spaces. TD taught me otherwise (I just realized yet another thing I learned on here!).

I think it's kind of like the "like" button. You click once, and "You like this." You click again, and (well, I haven't done it, but it says "unlike" so let's just assume that's an option), and it goes away. You click a third time, and voila, there it is with "You like this" ... once.

You make a period. And put one space after it.

You make a period.And put two spaces after it.

You make a period. And put three spaces after it.

I hope my demonstration works. I'm currently using Internet Explorer, so it might not. But there's only one way to find out. :)

• glunn and mickeymental like this

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

#17 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

• Members
  • 8,269 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:18 PM

And never forget the Oxford comma.
  • glunn, Circus Boy, Hosken Bombo Disco and 1 other like this

#18 mickeymental

mickeymental

• Members
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:21 PM

you mean the song by vampire weekend? or the grammatical annoyance?
  • Carole Keller and glunn like this

#19 formerly33

formerly33

• Members
  • 3,026 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:25 PM

There's a punctuation rule that I generally choose to ignore for the sake of a more conversational literary atmosphere: don't start sentences with coordinating conjunctions.

And while I'm at it (look, I just did it!), I might as well add that a lot of older people don't like it when you use slang in writing. That's a rule that I religiously disregard.

#20 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 2,105 posts

Posted 08 June 2015 - 04:26 PM

Rollie will never forget.

Rollie-Fingers-mustache-for-eyebrows-oxf

• JB_Iowa, Circus Boy and formerly33 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: season series, speed, defense, power, home field