Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Vikings Journal Forums

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: 2012 Twins Draft: A Closer Look at the First Five Rounds

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 awstafki

awstafki

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 06:08 AM

You can view this page at http://twinsdaily.co...rst-Five-Rounds

#2 DPJ

DPJ

Banned

• Banned
  • 636 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:14 AM

Has anyone from the Twins org came out and gave a reason why they took flawed college relievers in that high in the draft when they need starters (projected starters) in the worst way?

#3 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

I think it's pretty obvious actually. This was considerd a weak draft in general, and the Twins wanted some upside. They broke from the ranks of soft tossers who pitched to contact and went after some hard throwers who (if they succeed) will likely be able to join Sano and crew for their next wave of minor leaguers. This was still conservative by most standards because there's good reason to think that a couple of those relievers will (at the very least) be decent pen options in the majors... this draft was for the 2014/15 teams. If they get a starter out of it, they did well, but at worst, that team won't be looking for pen help.

#4 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,917 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

I think it's pretty obvious actually. This was considerd a weak draft in general, and the Twins wanted some upside. They broke from the ranks of soft tossers who pitched to contact and went after some hard throwers who (if they succeed) will likely be able to join Sano and crew for their next wave of minor leaguers. This was still conservative by most standards because there's good reason to think that a couple of those relievers will (at the very least) be decent pen options in the majors...

this draft was for the 2014/15 teams. If they get a starter out of it, they did well, but at worst, that team won't be looking for pen help.

Yeah, I have to believe that the front office sees starter material in at least one or two of those guys, with the hopes that the rest will be ready for major league duty in the pen within two years.

#5 DPJ

DPJ

Banned

• Banned
  • 636 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 09:50 AM

I think it's pretty obvious actually. This was considerd a weak draft in general, and the Twins wanted some upside. They broke from the ranks of soft tossers who pitched to contact and went after some hard throwers who (if they succeed) will likely be able to join Sano and crew for their next wave of minor leaguers. This was still conservative by most standards because there's good reason to think that a couple of those relievers will (at the very least) be decent pen options in the majors...

this draft was for the 2014/15 teams. If they get a starter out of it, they did well, but at worst, that team won't be looking for pen help.

No doubt it was a weak draft class, but there's a reason theses guys are in the pen. Either their stuff plays up in the pen (see Perkins) they don't have a usable 3rd pitch or medical reason that doesn't allow them to throw 200 innings. NTM yeah these guys are mid-90s outta the pen but once there in the rotation is back down the Twins typical 89-92. I'm sure they'll deploy a few of these guys in the rotation, but I have serve doubts.

It just seems to be a ass backward gameplan to rebuilding the depth of starters in the Twins system.

#6 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,761 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 10:23 AM

Baxendale signed. I read he is going to E-town. Perhaps he will work out as a starter. Can't do any worse than Blackburn.

#7 shs_59

shs_59

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 11:07 AM

Baxendale signed. I read he is going to E-town. Perhaps he will work out as a starter. Can't do any worse than Blackburn.

Well, He's got a long LOOOng ways to go to even maintain the Control Blackburn has, Sure in 2-3 years time he may very well have BETTER "stuff" than Blackburn has but will he be able to...
1) pitch deep in games
2) Pitch the ball over the plate for strikes at Greater than a 55% clip.

Easily 1 of those 2 could be a HUGE struggle for him.

Top Twins prospects ? 1.Byron Buxton (OF-A+)
2.Miguel Sano (3B-AA) 3.Alex Meyer (SP-AAA) 4. Kohl Stewart (SP-A) 5. J.O. Berrios (P-AA) 6.Nick Gordon (SS-RK)  7. *Josmil Pinto (C-AAA) 8.Jorge Polanco (2B-AA)  9. L. Thorpe (SP-A) 10. *Trevor May (SP-AAA) 11.Kennys Vargas (1B-AAA) 12.Travis Harrison (OF-A+) 13.Eddie Rosario (2B-AA) 14. Max Kepler (OF-A+) 15.Nick Burdi (RP-A)  Just Missed :P P Tyler Duffey, SS Aderlin Mejia, P Stephen Gonsalves, C Stuart Turner.

#8 fetch

fetch

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

I like him quite a bit. A little concerned about the HRs he gave up this year, but I think he'll eventually be a useful piece

#9 fetch

fetch

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

Yeah, I have to believe that the front office sees starter material in at least one or two of those guys, with the hopes that the rest will be ready for major league duty in the pen within two years.

I know they're for sure trying to turn Bard into a starter

#10 Vervehound

Vervehound

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 04:32 PM

but where's the upside? you're not going to get short armed relievers with no distintive change of speed to become starters. it makes me groan to think about it. if they wanted upside, they should've gone after some of the other intriguing prep arms that were eminently available with their second supplemental and two second rounders. i really like the buxton and berrios picks, but i'm not sold on many of the other choices. hope i'm wrong.

#11 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 08:04 PM

but where's the upside? you're not going to get short armed relievers with no distintive change of speed to become starters. it makes me groan to think about it. if they wanted upside, they should've gone after some of the other intriguing prep arms that were eminently available with their second supplemental and two second rounders. i really like the buxton and berrios picks, but i'm not sold on many of the other choices. hope i'm wrong.

They need pitching to help with the 2014/15 team. I wouldn't have minded a few more prep arms, as you have suggested, but you won't be seeing those guys for at least 4 years, likely more, and there wasn't a lot to be excited with the college starters (though I for one would have rather taken something other than Buxton at the top, hope I'm wrong about that). The college kids are already doing well against more advanced competition, given where they are now, most of them have a decent shot to be good pen options for that team. If Cuellar can teach just one of them a halfway decent changeup, you just added a very nice pitcher to that rotation.

#12 Vervehound

Vervehound

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:32 AM

They need pitching to help with the 2014/15 team. I wouldn't have minded a few more prep arms, as you have suggested, but you won't be seeing those guys for at least 4 years, likely more, and there wasn't a lot to be excited with the college starters (though I for one would have rather taken something other than Buxton at the top, hope I'm wrong about that). The college kids are already doing well against more advanced competition, given where they are now, most of them have a decent shot to be good pen options for that team. If Cuellar can teach just one of them a halfway decent changeup, you just added a very nice pitcher to that rotation.

it can be done, but the odds are against it. by the time a pitcher is 21, his body is mostly mature and his mechanics are more difficult to overhaul. you just don't see a lot of breakthrough starters once you get past age 24 - the reason being that a lot of things have to come into alignment and well, it's freaking hard. the real issue with this system is that there is no discernible front line starting pitching at any level and i'd rather have to wait a couple more years for it now that a couple more years later when we determine that these guys are relievers after all.

btw, the one guy that strikes me as a possilble rotation guy is tyler duffey, our fifth rounder. i think he's got the best shot but his ceiling wouldn't be above mid rotation and that's an unlikely development. finding a backend starting candidate in the 5th round is good value but, c'mon, that's not what this system needs.

#13 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,917 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 09:05 AM

though I for one would have rather taken something other than Buxton at the top, hope I'm wrong about that

I don't know... Buxton has so much raw talent. It's hard to leave that on the board in a rather weak draft class. I'm a fan of the pick, even if the Twins really don't need more toolsy outfielders. Best Player Available... They almost had to do it, IMO.

#14 fetch

fetch

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 10:41 AM

I don't know... Buxton has so much raw talent. It's hard to leave that on the board in a rather weak draft class. I'm a fan of the pick, even if the Twins really don't need more toolsy outfielders. Best Player Available... They almost had to do it, IMO.

Oh yeah, you always take the BPA. I was really cheering for Zunino to be the guy but the more I read about Buxton the more I like him.

#15 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,805 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 07:41 PM

I guess I didn't think there was much of a difference between Buxton and some of the pitchers. Zimmer, Gausman, Giolito, and Appel all have the look of front line pitchers, and with pitching being the most important part of the baseball team, I'd have went with one of them... Oh well, water under bridge.

#16 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 08:21 PM

Well, He's got a long LOOOng ways to go to even maintain the Control Blackburn has, Sure in 2-3 years time he may very well have BETTER "stuff" than Blackburn has but will he be able to...
1) pitch deep in games
2) Pitch the ball over the plate for strikes at Greater than a 55% clip.

Easily 1 of those 2 could be a HUGE struggle for him.

I'm 59.2% sure that I can pitch as well as Blackburn.

#17 TBo45

TBo45

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 12:25 PM

I remember when they tried this a few years ago and all the college relievers either sucked or blew out there arms, cant remember what year exactly, it was Tootle, etc...