Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Another Media Story Trying To Explain Twins Record

twins bullpen
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DuluthFan

DuluthFan

• 278 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 12:02 AM

They are looking for a reason why the Twins are winning.

http://espn.go.com/b...in-playoff-race

"the Twins are 27-0 when leading after eight innings -- but the Twins have lost just one game all season in which they've led entering the sixth inning or later. So the middle relief, when handed a lead, has been excellent."

Essentially it's the bullpen. They also give some stats to back it up.

Aren't you glad they didn't trade Perkins during the last couple of years?

Edited by DuluthFan, 02 June 2015 - 12:05 AM.

• glunn likes this

#2 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,155 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:32 AM

I do think Molitor has done a nice job of using his bullpen pieces.  I believe one of the fangraph articles also mentioned it but Perkins was first or second among closers in WPA, meaning Molitor wasn't afraid to use him for tight spots.

And fortunately we seem to have some nice depth to replace a few of these guys if/when they regress.  

#3 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Baseball and thought

• 8,863 posts
  • LocationThe ballpark of the mind

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:51 AM

Except for Stauffer and maybe Duensing, the pen has performed pretty darn well. it's been a pleasant surprise.

I always wanted to know what it would be like to simultaneously experience the 1918 flu,  Great Depression, and 1968 mass protests while Andrew Johnson was president.

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,741 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 07:56 AM

I didn't read the article yet, but I think a big hand has to go to the starters, and perhaps more importantly Molitor, for letting the starters finish the innings.The bullpen may be doing a fine job, but I think it's mostly because they aren't having to deal with many inherited runners.This guys don't miss bats aside from Perkins, so in years past, when the starters would get in trouble in the sixth and get pulled with one out and runners on 1st and 3rd, the guy on 3rd was going to score every damn time it seemed.Now these guys are coming in with bases empty.

Well except when they relieve Stauffer.

#5 woolywoolhouse

woolywoolhouse

• 354 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:01 AM

Too bad the video on the page doesn't mention the Twins, or the Astros, or any team other than the KC Royals'. The commentators' only argument is ERA... no mention of Win Probability Added (WPA) of which the Twins' bullpen ranks first (ahead of KC's 6th place ranking.)

SblamiVvl-SFSfi_8yN5GGvjJk0=.gif

#6 DaveTMpls

DaveTMpls

Elizabethton Twins

• 34 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:07 AM

That was useful. I knew the Twins bullpen has been pretty reliable since they stopped using Stauffer and changed Duensing's role. I didn't know they were best bullpen in AL in WPA.

#7 RIP BYTO

RIP BYTO

• 50 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:08 AM

I too am trying to come up with an explanation as to why the Twins are doing so well.When you look at the talent on this team, it is hard to explain why this team has the second best record in the AL. 

I can't really come up with an explanation, but in realty, I really don't need nor do a I really want an explanation.My Twins Baseball passion has been reignited and I am enjoying relevant baseball again.Will it hold up?I hope so, but if not, at least it was fun while it lasted.

#8 DaveTMpls

DaveTMpls

Elizabethton Twins

• 34 posts

Posted 02 June 2015 - 08:40 AM

Too bad the video on the page doesn't mention the Twins, or the Astros, or any team other than the KC Royals'. The commentators' only argument is ERA... no mention of Win Probability Added (WPA) of which the Twins' bullpen ranks first (ahead of KC's 6th place ranking.)

The article talks about WPA, and makes your exact point. I can't stand ESPN TV, so I never watch their videos.