Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Rosario, Vargas, Arcia, Santana

left field shortstop options escobar
  • Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,271 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 28 May 2015 - 08:58 PM

If Casey Fien feels okay, he will be in uniform tomorrow.That could be the end of the road for Stauffer or Duensing, or mean an option for Tonkin or Pressly.It still doesn't deal with the logjam between left field, shortstop, and DH.Arcia is rehabbing and so far Vargas is raking at AAA.Who should be with the Twins and who should be in the minors? 

#2 Homer Hanky

Homer Hanky

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 156 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:14 PM

Wondering if trading Escobar would free up time for Palanco to be the regular SS and Santana could turn into the utility guy. 

Which then frees up a trade of Nunez... 

Which then allows you to have Varges as the DH 

Thots? 

Edited by Homer Hanky, 28 May 2015 - 09:14 PM.

• Platoon likes this

#3 DocBauer

DocBauer

• 5,783 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:20 PM

Not to sound unfair but, why is Stauffer here? He's been awful since ST and the start of the season, and comes up almost immediately after a couple milb innings? I honestly thought he should have to work and prove his way back.

However....the team does appear to have one too many relievers right now. As a result, I would suppose Stauffer will get more rope, and Tonkin or Pressly will go down now. And the other in a week or so for a position player. I'm not so sure a couple guys shouldn't go down and bring Oliveros up. But that's a question and 40 man discussion for a different day.
  • curt1965 likes this
"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#4 SwainZag

SwainZag

• 2,470 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:21 PM

Fien up Stauffer DFA'd.  Tonkin down and Vargas back up.  Arcia sees time in AAA beyond his rehab.  Just my guesses.

• h2oface and spsdrock like this

#5 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,175 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:23 PM

Here's my hypothetical schedule:

Activate Fien, DFA Stauffer.

When Arcia is ready, activate him and option Eddie Rosario. 

When Vargas is ready to come up (probably 2 weeks or so), option Tonkin.

When Schafer is ready, I'd probably just DFA him. Not sure if the Twins will do this, but he shouldn't be with the major league team.

Also, as Homer Hanky points out, Jorge Polanco is ready for a promotion to the big leagues. He's a better prospect than Santana and I'd rather see him at SS now. But then where does Santana play? 

At least these are the good types of problems to have.

• gil4 likes this

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#6 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,271 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:34 PM

I'd like to see Rosario stay.He's a far better defender with an excellent OF arm and he can hit, although he needs to be more selective.That would push Arcia vs. Vargas for DH at-bats.I also wouldn't be totally opposed to seeing Santana spend a month or so in Rochester, it seemed to help Hicks and so far Vargas has responded well.

• jorgenswest, h2oface, SgtSchmidt11 and 5 others like this

#7 gil4

gil4

The irrational optimism is regressing to the mean

• 2,012 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:42 PM

Jorge Polanco is ready for a promotion to the big leagues. He's a better prospect than Santana and I'd rather see him at SS now. But then where does Santana play? 

Rochester

• Thrylos likes this

#8 Danchat

Danchat

Pro Bowl Armchair QB

• 5,175 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 09:54 PM

Rochester

I was referring to what position, not what team. I think he can still hit well enough to stay in the majors, but a trip to AAA wouldn't hurt.

Check out my work at Purple Pain, a Vikings forum: 

Analyzing the Past Decade of Vikings Offseasons

#9 beckmt

beckmt

• 2,504 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:05 PM

My best guess is Tonkin back to Rochester. 

• Otwins likes this

#10 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• 11,773 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:14 PM

I'm with Stringer, I'd like to see Rosario stay, he's been a plus in the field and he's shown he can have a good bat. It also has the added bonus of keeping Arcia further away from playing in the outfield.

Stauffer optioned to make way for Fien, Santana down when Arcia is ready and send either Tonkin or Pressley back to bring up Vargas. If Polanco keeps up his play or Santana goes down and lights it up either of them can make Nunez expendable.
  • CUtomorrownight and Gene Larkin like this

#11 curt1965

curt1965

• 786 posts
  • LocationLuverne, Minnesota

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:17 PM

Not to sound unfair but, why is Stauffer here? He's been awful since ST and the start of the season, and comes up almost immediately after a couple milb innings? I honestly thought he should have to work and prove his way back.
However....the team does appear to have one too many relievers right now. As a result, I would suppose Stauffer will get more rope, and Tonkin or Pressly will go down now. And the other in a week or so for a position player. I'm not so sure a couple guys shouldn't go down and bring Oliveros up. But that's a question and 40 man discussion for a different day.

I agree with Doc with regard to Stauffler, but that is not the way the Twins roll, for some reason. I would guess that Presley or Tonkin will head to Rochester.
I agree, also, with the 13 member pitching staff thought . Molly has always said he prefers 7 guys in the pen, so I completely don't understand what's going on there. Off the top of my head, I don't think either Stauffler or Graham has pitched in the last week or so. They need another hitter to keep this streak alive!

Edited by curt1965, 28 May 2015 - 10:20 PM.

• h2oface likes this

#12 Jaykay

Jaykay

Puerto Rico Joe

• 1,602 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:47 PM

Fien back, Stauffer DFA'd

Vargas up, Santana down to Rochester

End result- Rosario in left, Escobar at short, Vargas at DH, Arcia stays in Rochester until he earns his way up. 

• theJemmer, Cast of Thousands and Vanimal46 like this

#13 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 9,910 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 10:53 PM

For a bit, I'd like to see Arcia DH, let Rosario stay in left a bit longer, send down Santana and let Escobar start at short. 

• twinsnorth49, jokin and blairpaul715 like this

#14 hotshot031

hotshot031

Elizabethton Twins

• 15 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 11:43 PM

Fien up, Shauffer down would be the best thing, but they dont always do the best thing (sending a hot-hitter in Vargas down???? Giving you Nunez and escobar to DH/Pinch hit????). They will probably send Tonkin down and keep TS up (Vomit). Vargas needs to be back quickly because they need a better hitter/PH than Escobar/Nunez. My guess is Arcia is up, they go back to 12 pitchers, and before Vargas. I'd think they might send D Santana down soon if Vargas continues to rake. On Monday, if Vargas hits a couple more homers during the weekend and continues to hit for a great average, I'd be pretty surprised if Santana continued to struggle if Vargas wasnt swapped by monday. One can only hope.....

• jokin likes this

#15 blairpaul715

blairpaul715

• 730 posts
  • LocationMinot, ND

Posted 29 May 2015 - 12:05 AM

What i want to happen and what will are completely two different things.....................In the immediate future, I think Fien comes up, Tonkin goes, Pressly soon to follow with Arcia or Vargas up............I would like to see Stauffer be DFA'd but i would be super surprised(but happy) if that happened..............I dont think Schafer sees Minnesota again , unless an injury to Hicks before we would DFA him. With how we are playing, I dont want to see too many changes that could disrupt the good feel that might be in the locker room right now.

• Platoon likes this

#16 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• 4,636 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 29 May 2015 - 01:11 AM

This pitching staff needs an outfield that can play the positions. Rosario and Hicks have been the ticket. Please keep Escobar out of the outfield. He looked like Delmon Young the other night in the rain delayed game. Get it back to 7 in the bullpen. There is not room on this team for both Vargas and Arcia. My vote goes for switch-hitting Vargas. Arcia should never play the outfield with this pitching staff that does not miss bats. Try to trade Arcia, Meyer, and Santana to Colorado for Tulo. Or Polanco or Gordon instead of Santana, Colorado's choice. Escobar is a super valuable utility man for the infield for the Twins. I would like to see Stauffer culled for Fien (DFA him and see what happens - he cannot just be "sent down")....... right now. He is not a Twin, anyway, in my head. Arcia can rake in Rochester, and increase his trade value and show he is healthy. Tonkin back down and Vargas back up, and let him switch hit as DH. Buxton's arrival should get rid of both Robinson and Schafer.

Edited by h2oface, 29 May 2015 - 01:13 AM.

• Mike Frasier Law, laloesch and Cast of Thousands like this

#17 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,626 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 29 May 2015 - 05:40 AM

I think it's time for Stauffer to go.It's practically June at this point and he's not producing.Fein for Tonkin for sure.Don't mind the idea of Arcia DHing for now.I'm not against optioning him as well and telling him to go work on his defense and bring Vargas back to DH. 

#18 twinssouth

twinssouth

• 573 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 06:00 AM

Arcia needs to stay down, he's brutal in the outfield. Saw him in Tampa in LF totally miss a simple fly ball. All of us saw the balls trajectory under the dome roof, yet he blew it. Must have been busy eating a Snicker bar or something. Twins are winning with better outfield defense, why change it up.
  • DaveTMpls likes this

#19 Platoon

Platoon

Cooperstown

• 5,129 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 29 May 2015 - 06:01 AM

I just think they will send Tonkin back, at least for awhile. Stauffer will get one more chance here. It's the TW. (Twins Way). I am a big fan of Arcia, but even I think he has to catch a higher % of fly balls to play with this pitching staff. He might benefit from an extended stay in Rochester, both for fielding, and attitude. Trading him would be a mistake. When the light goes on for him, he will be an elite power bat. If he can get his fielding to just average, he can play a corner. Almost every team has a weak fielding, big hitting corner OF. There are lots of options here, as long as ill conceived loyalty to fill in veterans like Nunez, Shafer, Robinson, Stauffer, and Duensing don't cloud your judgement.
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#20 eLee612

eLee612

• 109 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 06:36 AM

Wondering if trading Escobar would free up time for Palanco to be the regular SS and Santana could turn into the utility guy.

Rochester

They can move Polanco anywhere they want, provided that it's:
1) up
2) within the Twins organization, and
3) after June 23rd

So selfish. ;) I'm headed back to Chattanooga for one last trip in a few weeks... please don't shuffle my favorite AA team before I get there! I do really like Esco as an all-around though, so maybe there is a different card we can trade in...

... Buxton's arrival should get rid of both Robinson and Schafer.

That would be SPLENDID!!

Edited by eLee612, 29 May 2015 - 06:38 AM.

• Homer Hanky and sdtwins37 like this

Nadie dijo que la vida sería fácil, sólo dijeron que valdría la pena.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: left field, shortstop, options, escobar