Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Hicks' First 10 Games

defense
  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#21 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,002 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 24 May 2015 - 07:34 PM

True but that one is on Terry Ryan. Right now he is likely the best option that Ryan has given the coaching staff.

Without the month in Rochester, would Hicks be playing this well?I thought he needed to be sent to Rochester and while the offensive numbers haven't been great out of the box, he's looks like a different player to me. 

• Bark's Lounge, Sconnie and Cast of Thousands like this

#22 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,485 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 08:59 PM

Every year, a dozen highly touted prospects around the league make it to the majors and then sort of peter out (not that Hicks will necessarily be one of them). How come, when this happens, fans blame it on the GM? Maybe it's the player's doing.

Hicks has been disappointing so far in his previous stints with the Twins, and maybe he'll redeem himself this time around, and maybe not.

If he suddenly lives up to "expectations", I doubt the same people who currently blame Ryan for the kid's failures will turn around and heap praise on him. Although doing so would be as misguided as blaming him now.

• Joe A. Preusser likes this

#23 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 10:48 PM

He is hitting .220, kinda like last year.

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#24 TheDean

TheDean

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 24 May 2015 - 11:48 PM

Without the month in Rochester, would Hicks be playing this well?I thought he needed to be sent to Rochester and while the offensive numbers haven't been great out of the box, he's looks like a different player to me. 

Here's an interesting comp: Chris Parmelee. Between 2012 and 2013 (age 24 and 25), he got over 500 PA at the major league level with trips back and forth to Rochester. His wRC+ was in the low 80s.

Last year (age 24), Hicks put up a wRC+ of 84 in a little over 200 PA, but also had trips back down to the minors. I'll be interested to see whether he can advance his offensive production beyond what Parmelee did in his age 25 season. Of course Parmelee had little defensive value, and Hicks plays CF (plays it well, apparently) and has speed on the basepaths.

#25 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,298 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:26 AM

He is hitting .220, kinda like last year.

Sadly, that's quite the improvement on last year.

• Sconnie likes this

#26 Sconnie

Sconnie

Touch ‘em all!

• Members
  • 3,765 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:39 AM

Yeah for me he probably starts in CF, bats eighth or ninth and plays every day from here on out. Re-evaluate then, because you'll either need a new starting RF (my guess) or a fourth outfielder -- both roles he can easily fill.

i would hope Rosario, Buxton, Arcia and Hicks would be your 4 outfielders. Arcia appears to be in the dog house, like Vargas it seems to be a work ethic thing, but both can overcome that.

#27 strumdatjaguar

strumdatjaguar

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:07 AM

Unlike the previous post, I wouldn't hope that our four outfielders are Rosario, Buxton, Arcia and Hicks. There are more potential outfielders in the mix for the Twins just at Chattanooga: Max Kepler, Adam Brett Walker II and Travis Harrison. The are all potential outfielders for the big league club by 2016-2017. Barring injury or a serious set-back, the only one that can be penciled in right now is Buxton. Aaron Hicks has a lot of competition for one of those other three outfield spot in the next 20 months. My hope is that the competition continues and the best four ultimately make their way to the Twins by mid-2016. If others fail to excel, hten so be it. Despite the great contribution from Torii Hunter this year, my other HOPE is that the Twins do NOT sign any more free agent outfielders.
  • birdwatcher and blairpaul715 like this

#28 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 12,298 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 25 May 2015 - 11:23 AM

I think worst case, Hicks becomes a 4th OF.He'll be a defensive upgrade just about anywhere in the OF... that's if his bat never improves.He holds a minor league career OPS of over .800, so if by chance he figures out the bat, he'll be quite the asset.Honestly, I hope he figures it out b/c history has shown that decent CFs can get a nice return.A good year or two from Hicks and we can flip him to make room for Harrison or Walker. 

• birdwatcher likes this

#29 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,143 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:03 PM

I find it really puzzling that in 2013-2014, Hicks was not the defensive centerfielder advertised by scouts.

In 2015, he is the centerfielder advertised by scouts.

He's a different player this season, even if it's not showing up in box scores... yet. He was overly passive in previous seasons but now he has turned into an aggressive hitter. He'll need to move back to being slightly more passive (his contact rate, zone swing rate, and a few other peripherals are concerning) but I have hope that he can do that in time.

I hold more hope for Aaron Hicks now than I have at any time since 2013.

• birdwatcher, Bark's Lounge, Joe A. Preusser and 3 others like this

#30 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,303 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:15 PM

Here's an interesting comp: Chris Parmelee. Between 2012 and 2013 (age 24 and 25), he got over 500 PA at the major league level with trips back and forth to Rochester.

Yeah that last part was the biggest problem though. The team has a lot of Hicks/Parmelee type prospects. Having too many might not be the best thing as few will get consistancy looks. Parmelee couldn't get constant playing time even though the team was awful and had very few options for the future.

How the hell are guys like Rosario, Arcia, Harrison and Kepler going to get 500 at bats in a season to evaluate their capabilities? You can't yo-yo these guys around for three years and expect something to click when they aren't getting everyday playing time at the MLB level to work on their flaws.
  • Mike Sixel likes this

#31 Twodogs

Twodogs

Chattanooga Lookouts

• Members
  • 683 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 05:56 PM

I find it really puzzling that in 2013-2014, Hicks was not the defensive centerfielder advertised by scouts.

In 2015, he is the centerfielder advertised by scouts.

He's a different player this season, even if it's not showing up in box scores... yet. He was overly passive in previous seasons but now he has turned into an aggressive hitter. He'll need to move back to being slightly more passive (his contact rate, zone swing rate, and a few other peripherals are concerning) but I have hope that he can do that in time.

I hold more hope for Aaron Hicks now than I have at any time since 2013.

Maybe it was a combination of lack of confidence/immaturity/Gardenslug.Maybe just becoming a little more mature has helped him increase his confidence in things that are a little bit more controllable such as defense and as a person starts to succeed in one area you hope that some of that success can spill over into another area such as hitting?

You cannot succeed without hate for your enemy

#32 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,990 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 07:35 PM

The outfield is so weak....not counting the resurgeance of Hunter. There's promise, but Hicks could still end up being a solid fielding fourth outfielder when all is said and done. Rosario, Arcia, Kepler and Buxton, not to mention Walker, and maybe Sano. Where will that leave Hicks, coming up on arbitration and no more minor league options.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#33 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,479 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:00 PM

The outfield is so weak....not counting the resurgeance of Hunter. There's promise, but Hicks could still end up being a solid fielding fourth outfielder when all is said and done. Rosario, Arcia, Kepler and Buxton, not to mention Walker, and maybe Sano. Where will that leave Hicks, coming up on arbitration and no more minor league options.

Hicks won't be arb-eligible until 2017, but he seems destined to be the Twins 4th OF or as trade-bait throw-in material if he can show a little better bat.

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#34 Cast of Thousands

Cast of Thousands

Elizabethton

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 May 2015 - 08:20 PM

I've never understood the widespread vitriol towards Hicks.  Perhaps it's because he was a First Round draft choice?

As was stated earlier, he's playing almost elite defense right now and his at-bats are light years better than the last few failed seasons.

I agree, start him every day, bat him 7-8th and see where things are at when it comes to the AS break. I think he still has a very good chance to be, at the very least, an asset that they can do something with down the road.

• blairpaul715 likes this

#35 Vanimal46

Vanimal46

Minnesota Twins Whine Line Host

• Members
  • 10,062 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 25 May 2015 - 09:10 PM

My gut feel on Hicks, similar to others, is he will be a 4th OF. Doesn't seem like a guy who will ever be an above average hitter. In a career year maybe .260 with 20 HRs. His defense is good enough to keep his spot on the big club, but hopefully our other young OF develops to start over him in 2016 and beyond.

#36 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,481 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 06:58 AM

I've never understood the widespread vitriol towards Hicks.  Perhaps it's because he was a First Round draft choice?

As was stated earlier, he's playing almost elite defense right now and his at-bats are light years better than the last few failed seasons.

I agree, start him every day, bat him 7-8th and see where things are at when it comes to the AS break. I think he still has a very good chance to be, at the very least, an asset that they can do something with down the road.

He's bad at his job? I don't think anyone dislikes Hicks the human, they just don't want him starting for their favorite team.

He can't hit. this isn't small sample size, this is a continuation of the last 2 years. It is great that he is finally playing good defense. And, that has some value. But, not as a starting OF, and maybe not even as your 4th OF.

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#37 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,143 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:04 AM

He can't hit. this isn't small sample size, this is a continuation of the last 2 years. 

I think this is where people are going astray with their analysis of Hicks. He has just 584 MLB PAs. That is a small sample size for a 25 year old former prospect.

Yeah, his OPS+ is an abominable 67 but that doesn't mean he can't or won't improve. Through his age 24 season, Torii Hunter had 799 PAs and an OPS+ of 76. That doesn't mean Aaron Hicks will become Torii Hunter - far from it - but it does mean we should be more patient. Take a look at Trevor Plouffe and Brian Dozier before advocating the Twins give up or shelve a player because he's bad for several hundred PAs at the beginning of his career.

• ericchri and TheDean like this

#38 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,481 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:11 AM

I don't think he gets to 1000 ABs anytime soon, not if he is in MN still. His time is running out, imo, to the be a regular here. For every guy that does turn out, dozens don't, that's the nature of prospects.

#39 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,143 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:15 AM

I don't think he gets to 1000 ABs anytime soon, not if he is in MN still. His time is running out, imo, to the be a regular here. For every guy that does turn out, dozens don't, that's the nature of prospects.

That's the nature of prospects but anyone who advocates giving up on a guy as talented as Hicks better be prepared to be quiet for all of eternity if he goes all David Ortiz with another team after the Twins prematurely give up on him.

The guy doesn't even have a full season of plate appearances yet. That's not enough time to evaluate his ability as a MLB player, particularly now that he's playing better defensively and taking the bat off his shoulder.

• davidc3915 likes this

#40 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 26,481 posts

Posted 26 May 2015 - 07:19 AM

I'm all for giving prospects more chances, and not relying on terrible veterans, that should be obvious from my time here.

Can we retire the "every prospect might turn out to be David Ortiz" meme ever? At some point, you move on. Sometimes they become great players (not often), usually they turn out to be what they showed they are.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: defense