Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: White Sox vs. Twins, 06/25/2012, 7:10pm

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#1 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:31 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...-25-2012-7-10pm

#2 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:43 PM

Perhaps the most important series of the season (at least to keep the fans interested/teased for another couple of weeks) . For some reason I'm optimistic that we can win 2/3 and it all starts tonight, then take 2/3 against KC.
Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

#3 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:09 PM

White Sox:
De Aza CF
Youkilis 3B
Dunn DH
Konerko 1B
Rios RF
Pierzynski C
Viciedo LF
Ramirez SS
Beckham 2B
(Peavy P)

Twins:
Span CF
Revere RF
Mauer DH
Willingham LF
Morneau 1B
Plouffe 3B
Dozier SS
Butera C
Carroll 2B
(Liriano P)

#4 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:25 PM

Cntrl+F= "Doumit" zero results found. Cntrl+F= "Butera" one result found WHY?

#5 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,254 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

Cntrl+F= "Doumit"

zero results found.

Cntrl+F= "Butera"

one result found

WHY?

Because Doumit excels against right-handed pitching, and Peavy is a....well....ummm.....Butera calls a great game!

#6 SweetOne69

SweetOne69

• Members
  • 464 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

Cntrl+F= "Doumit"

zero results found.

Cntrl+F= "Butera"

one result found

WHY?

Since Liriano was reinserted into the rotation, Butera has been his personal catcher. Butera does a better job of babysitting Liriano than Mauer does. He goes out to the mound more and is more animated behind the plate in his efforts to keep Liriano focused and relaxed.

#7 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,119 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:34 PM

Perhaps the most important series of the season (at least to keep the fans interested/teased for another couple of weeks) . For some reason I'm optimistic that we can win 2/3 and it all starts tonight, then take 2/3 against KC.

Has anyone seen Ryan Doumit's face on the side of any milk cartons? One day off, yes, but two straight days? Yes, Liriano is pitching (Son of Sal caddy duty), but unless he's hurt, how do you keep his bat out of the lineup again?

He's only the top hitting MLB catcher over the last 7 days. Here's his line: .467/.467/.733/.1200, with a .515 WOBA. Hey, at least we have a good PH option available. I just like riding those hot bats as long as possible, especially in a big series like this.

#8 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:38 PM

Cntrl+F= "Doumit"

zero results found.

Cntrl+F= "Butera"

one result found

WHY?

Francisco really likes it when Son of Sal slaps him on the ass and yells "¡bravo!" after every half inning.

Mauer and Doumit just don't have that kind of relationship with Liriano.

Twins Baseball. Completely illogical since 2002.

#9 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:41 PM

Has anyone seen Ryan Doumit's face on the side of any milk cartons? One day off, yes, but two straight days? Yes, Liriano is pitching (Son of Sal caddy duty), but unless he's hurt, how do you keep his bat out of the lineup again?

He's only the top hitting MLB catcher over the last 7 days. Here's his line: .467/.467/.733/.1200, with a .515 WOBA. Hey, at least we have a good PH option available. I just like riding those hot bats as long as possible, especially in a big series like this.

There is no reason for two of the better-hitting catchers in baseball to be out from behind the plate in favor of the absolute worst hitter in all of major league baseball to be in their place.

None. It's awful. Just awful.

#10 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:42 PM

Francisco really likes it when Son of Sal slaps him on the ass and yells "¡bravo!" after every half inning.

Mauer and Doumit just don't have that kind of relationship with Liriano.

Twins Baseball. Completely illogical since 2002.

I assumed they just enjoyed playing so much in the NL that they decided to keep at least one guy in the lineup who has no chance of getting multiple hits in a game.

#11 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,254 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 25 June 2012 - 03:51 PM

Since Liriano was reinserted into the rotation, Butera has been his personal catcher. Butera does a better job of babysitting Liriano than Mauer does. He goes out to the mound more and is more animated behind the plate in his efforts to keep Liriano focused and relaxed.

No amount of babysitting will ever make up for this.

#12 GCTF

GCTF

so very tired

• Members
  • 1,900 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:05 PM

I assumed they just enjoyed playing so much in the NL that they decided to keep at least one guy in the lineup who has no chance of getting multiple hits in a game.

Looks like your sponsorship of Buterrible's BRef page has expired. Just giving a heads up.

#13 GCTF

GCTF

so very tired

• Members
  • 1,900 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

No amount of babysitting will ever make up for this.

He's no Johnny Bench, or Mrs. Bench for that matter.

#14 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,254 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

I bid $0.25.

#15 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:15 PM

Looks like your sponsorship of Buterrible's BRef page has expired. Just giving a heads up.

Yeah, they doubled the price to $35! Bastards.

#16 striker_86

striker_86

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

I bet Youk goes 3 for 4 with a homer tonight.... :(

#17 twinzgrl

twinzgrl

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

I'm not a big Butera fan or anything, but the man is hitting much better this season than last...and if he can keep Liriano calm, well, he deserves a medal. Another White Sox series, another three games of AJ antics....can't wait.

#18 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,798 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:37 PM

I'm not a big Butera fan or anything, but the man is hitting much better this season than last...and if he can keep Liriano calm, well, he deserves a medal. Another White Sox series, another three games of AJ antics....can't wait.

He's had all of 50 ABs this season (even though it seems like about 100 more than that). The guy is one of the worst hitters in baseball. That's not going to change. He shouldn't be on any team's roster, much less starting games in front of talented catchers like Mauer and Doumit.

Remember when people thought Butera helped Pavano concentrate? And remember how Pavano put up the same numbers when Mauer was behind the plate?

Butera does far more damage to the lineup with the bat than any benefit he could ever bring to a pitcher's delicate mindset. These pitchers aren't children. They've made it to the highest level of professional sports by being mentally tough enough to compete. Francisco is pitching well because his mechanics are back in order and because he's using his devastating slider more often, not because Son of Sal is sitting behind the plate, making sure the bottom third of the Twins lineup never, ever scores another run.

#19 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,119 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:45 PM

He's had all of 50 ABs this season (even though it seems like about 100 more than that). The guy is one of the worst hitters in baseball. That's not going to change. He shouldn't be on any team's roster, much less starting games in front of talented catchers like Mauer and Doumit.

Remember when people thought Butera helped Pavano concentrate? And remember how Pavano put up the same numbers when Mauer was behind the plate?

Butera does far more damage to the lineup with the bat than any benefit he could ever bring to a pitcher's delicate mindset. These pitchers aren't children. They've made it to the highest level of professional sports by being mentally tough enough to compete. Francisco is pitching well because his mechanics are back in order and because he's using his devastating slider more often, not because Son of Sal is sitting behind the plate, making sure the bottom third of the Twins lineup never, ever scores another run.

This causes me to start bringing in the nepotism topic from another thread. Somehow, I doubt the reason Sal JR catches for Liriano is because of his scholarly command of South American Spanish and Gardy's pledge of no more scholarships and no more 3 rostered catchers lasted about 30 days. Even his fielding statistics are below Bench level- and by that I mean Mrs. Bench.

#20 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,254 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:47 PM

I'm not a big Butera fan or anything, but the man is hitting much better this season than last...

No, not really.

The only difference between this year, and the previous years, is that he had a spurt of good games right away rather than hidden somewhere in the middle.

#21 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,254 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

Curiosity ensues...

First 28 plate appearances this season for the Son of Sal:

.909 OPS, 3bb/2so

Last 27:

.345 OPS, 1bb/8so

In 2011 he had a 29 PA stretch with a 1.009 OPS.

In 2010 he had a 39 PA stretch with an .887 OPS.

#22 kydoty

kydoty

First of His Name, King of the Andals and the First Men

• Members
  • 285 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

Finally I get around to posting here. 13 year ESPN/BYTO veteran. Happy to be here. Don't mind the mud I just dragged in.

#23 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:00 PM

Curiosity ensues...

First 28 plate appearances this season for the Son of Sal:

.909 OPS, 3bb/2so

Last 27:

.345 OPS, 1bb/8so

In 2011 he had a 29 PA stretch with a 1.009 OPS.

In 2010 he had a 39 PA stretch with an .887 OPS.

pfft. He hadn't worked with Bruno in those years. Get with the times, Snepp.

#24 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,254 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:04 PM

pfft. He hadn't worked with Bruno in those years. Get with the times, Snepp.

The Bruno Effect.

©2012 snepp

#25 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:42 PM

not the right place for this, I know, but since I'm sick of Butera talk I want to throw it out there. The Twins have a couple pitchers in NB pitching very well. Hermsen and Perdomo are doing pretty decent, and since the Twins dug into the Rochester cookie jar and pulled out Tyler Robertson, is it time to call them up and so we have someone (if they pitch well) that is an option if (God forbid) we need another pitcher? we are getting skimpy at the AAA level.

#26 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:43 PM

Finally I get around to posting here.

13 year ESPN/BYTO veteran. Happy to be here. Don't mind the mud I just dragged in.

Rookies are to be seen and not heard, rook.

#27 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,304 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:53 PM

not the right place for this, I know, but since I'm sick of Butera talk I want to throw it out there. The Twins have a couple pitchers in NB pitching very well. Hermsen and Perdomo are doing pretty decent, and since the Twins dug into the Rochester cookie jar and pulled out Tyler Robertson, is it time to call them up and so we have someone (if they pitch well) that is an option if (God forbid) we need another pitcher? we are getting skimpy at the AAA level.

Perdomo just got promoted to Rochester
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#28 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:54 PM

Perdomo just got promoted to Rochester

Well, good, were on the same page then... Did that happen Yesterday?

#29 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:09 PM

Any perdictions for the game? Final score? Player production? 4-3 Twins. Butera an extra base hit.

#30 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,254 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:19 PM

Off to a good start, for what it's worth.

Butera an extra base hit.

Awfully brave walking out on that limb.