Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Doumit Extension

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 PMKI

PMKI

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:40 PM

According to MLBtraderumors.com "Twins

Assistant GM Rob Antony told Darren Wolfson of 1500 ESPN (

via Twitter

) that he'll engage Ryan Doumit

's agent in extension talks soon."

#2 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 09:51 PM

Doesn't seem wise. Guaranteed to overpay.

List of potential free agent catchers from Baseball Prospectus. (* = team option)

Koyie Hill
Chris Iannetta *
Russell Martin
Jeff Mathis
Brian McCann *
Miguel Montero
Mike Napoli
Wil Nieves
Miguel Olivo *
Ronny Paulino
A.J. Pierzynski
Humberto Quintero
David Ross
Carlos Ruiz *
Yorvit Torrealba

The list doesn't include DH possibilities. The Twins would be wise to wait.

#3 PMKI

PMKI

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:00 PM

I agree. I would rather try to trade him for some decent prospects. Than maybe we can sign him back in the offseason.

#4 notoriousgod71

notoriousgod71

• Members
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:10 AM

Sign Dave Ross to be our backup catcher although I don't know why Atlanta wouldn't resign him.

#5 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,232 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 24 June 2012 - 12:51 AM

Doumit currently has the fifth highest OPS on the team, and can play first base and outfield if the need arises. He has made some clutch hits and is on track for 20+ home runs. At 31 years old, he likely has some prime years left. If he could be extended for 2 more years on reasonable terms, I would think that would be a good idea for him and for the team.

#6 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 795 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:54 AM

He's worth the extention as he is a capable C and DH. He allows Mauer and Morneau to rotate positions. He also allows Mauer to stay behind the plate as he ages the next few years. and by that I mean Mauer can catch 100 games and DH and play some 1b another 50 games. He is worth a 2-3 year extention in the 3.5 - 5 million per year range.

#7 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:56 AM

Sign Dave Ross to be our backup catcher although I don't know why Atlanta wouldn't resign him.

Don't you dare take away The Boss! He'll likely resign, though. He's vested in the area enough that he took less money two years ago to stay in Atlanta.
Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#8 one_eyed_jack

one_eyed_jack

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 07:52 AM

He's worth the extention as he is a capable C and DH. He allows Mauer and Morneau to rotate positions. He also allows Mauer to stay behind the plate as he ages the next few years. and by that I mean Mauer can catch 100 games and DH and play some 1b another 50 games.

He is worth a 2-3 year extention in the 3.5 - 5 million per year range.

---I'm with you. Hopefully it will be something towards the lower end of that range as the upper end (3 yr/$15 mil) is getting a bit steep for me.

#9 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:45 AM

Why would Doumit sign a deal at the lower end? Players don't give up free agency midseason to sign a reasonable deal. What would motivate Doumit to give up his free agent rights and sign midseason? He would give it up if he is confident that the deal was better than anything he might get in the winter. The only way to do that is to overpay in dollars and years. Do not sign an over 30 back up catcher with injury history to a multiyear deal.

#10 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 08:58 AM

I'm not completely seeing the wisdom here, unless it is on the lower range of the financial spectrum. Yes, Doumit has been good this year on a bad team, yes he has had clutch hits, and yes he has stayed healthy. But for 2013 or 2014 I would expect Chris Herrmann, currently at AA and playing all right (though not tearing it up right now) to take on the back-up catcher role. Herrmann can also play left field. He's also a better catcher than Doumit, incidentally. He has to be added to the 40 man after this season. He hopefully can do 70-80 percent of Doumit's job for about 10 percent of the salary. On a team that should be moving in the direction of trading veterans for prospects and giving young guys a shot, I'm not sure that Doumit makes a whole lot of sense. So, if the Twins do lock up Doumit for the next 2-3 seasons, I hope that the contract is such that Doumit remains a tradeable asset.
Andrew Walter
Twins Fan From Afar
Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
http://twinsfanfroma...gspot.com<br />Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

#11 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

I heard the interview and the discussion that preceeded it. What I gathered was that Doumit would probably rather extend than be traded. He really enjoys being a Twin. The terms that were thrown out were 2 yrs/$10m. (I was thinking $8.5ish would be more reasonable.) I also considered how that would affect Herrmann, but thats a 2014 problem, where Doumit could have greater trade value, if the Twins aren't competing yet. When asked if the team would buy or sell, Antony wouldn't commit, but said whatever helps the team in 2013 and beyond.

#12 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 09:40 AM

I heard the interview and the discussion that preceeded it. What I gathered was that Doumit would probably rather extend than be traded. He really enjoys being a Twin. The terms that were thrown out were 2 yrs/$10m. (I was thinking $8.5ish would be more reasonable.)

I also considered how that would affect Herrmann, but thats a 2014 problem, where Doumit could have greater trade value, if the Twins aren't competing yet.

When asked if the team would buy or sell, Antony wouldn't commit, but said whatever helps the team in 2013 and beyond.

Thanks -- I didn't hear the interview and appreciate the context.
Andrew Walter
Twins Fan From Afar

#13 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:00 AM

I heard the interview and the discussion that preceeded it. What I gathered was that Doumit would probably rather extend than be traded. He really enjoys being a Twin. The terms that were thrown out were 2 yrs/$10m. (I was thinking $8.5ish would be more reasonable.)

I also considered how that would affect Herrmann, but thats a 2014 problem, where Doumit could have greater trade value, if the Twins aren't competing yet.

When asked if the team would buy or sell, Antony wouldn't commit, but said whatever helps the team in 2013 and beyond.

Doumit's bat and flexibility are worth a resign. 2 yrs at $8-10m works for me.

#14 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:36 AM

If he likes playing here, would he be willing to sign for less than he could get as a free agent? If so, it's worth looking at, but let's just make sure we don't overpay. He's making $3M this year, and I would be hard-pressed to offer more than $4M, maybe $4.5M, per year for a couple of years. He is replaceable.

#15 Highabove

Highabove

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:56 AM

He has had injury issues in the past.

#16 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:34 AM

Im fine with resigning him as we will still try to trade Capps, Liriano, Span, Morneau among others. Gotta keep someone. Calling him the backup catcher is just wrong as Drew Butera will be the backup to Joe as long as he feels. When he doesnt feel like it, he'll tell Gardy and we'll figure something else upl.

#17 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,775 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:36 AM

Calling him the backup catcher is just wrong as Drew Butera will be the backup to Joe as long as he feels.

I just threw up a little.

Correction. I just threw up a lot.

#18 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 07:11 AM

If he likes playing here, would he be willing to sign for less than he could get as a free agent? If so, it's worth looking at, but let's just make sure we don't overpay. He's making $3M this year, and I would be hard-pressed to offer more than $4M, maybe $4.5M, per year for a couple of years. He is replaceable.

I'm not sure he's "that" replaceable. He brings a decent stick, and he can play multiple positions. How many backup catchers in the league can claim that?

#19 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,775 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:09 AM

I'm not sure he's "that" replaceable. He brings a decent stick, and he can play multiple positions. How many backup catchers in the league can claim that?

This. Catchers that can OPS at a .750 clip are quite rare. Backup catchers who can do it are Loch Ness Monster-esque.

#20 fetch

fetch

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:15 AM

If he's really willing to sign a 2 year, 10 million deal they should be sprinting to get that done

#21 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 205 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:23 AM

I think resigning Doumit would be a good idea. Looking at the list previously posted and assuming McCann stays in Atlanta. The only one I would want is Miguel Montero. I would also want Napoli but he will be too overpriced for us. The rest are way past their prime or never had a prime. Koyie Hill, Jeff Mathis, Yorvit Torrealba, Ronny Paulino, Humberto Quintero??? Wouldn't Drew Butera fall into that catergory too? Can't hit a lick, can't run, and calls a good game. Having Doumit either in the lineup as a DH, or behind the plate, or in the OF sounds like better options than the rest of these guys.

#22 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,775 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 08:25 AM

If he's really willing to sign a 2 year, 10 million deal they should be sprinting to get that done

I'd do that deal twice if I was the Twins.

#23 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 26 June 2012 - 10:59 AM

I'm a little torn on this. Doumit is known for a better than average bat and horrible defense no matter where he plays, thus he was supposed to by DHing and backup catching. I never want to see him in RF or 1B (or anywhere else). He's also know as injury prone (ask the pirates)-- he's already nursing a calf strain and has hardly been run out to catch every day. This makes it all the more judicious to sign again as only a backup C and get the majority of his time at DH. Yet, there are better DHs to be had. So, do we like him because he's primarily a DH with some C versatility such that we don't have to see Butera in the lineup 2a couple times a week? I'm taking a wait and see approach for another few weeks, and I think TR and the front office are doing the same, making sure this one year make-good contract (to show he can be healthy for a season) is good for the Twins going forward.
Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

#24 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,291 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:16 AM

Not sure how I feel about this either... For one, unless either Butera is gone or Gardenhire is willing to PH Doumit for him in games like last night's (or, of course, unless Gardenhire is gone, but not sure that I believe in miracles) this team will not get enough value from Doumit for what they pay him. The other this is that this would be a totally schizophrenic decision, if you look it in the context that this team is having a rookie who is the worse hitter on the team keep playing SS. You either go wholesale young and give people like Herrmann a chance or you go veteran. This half-rear end approach is bothersome. So if Doumit is going to be a UT player is he worth $4-5 mil a season? Probably not, but this is the team that paid Punto about that much...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#25 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:36 AM

I'm not completely seeing the wisdom here, unless it is on the lower range of the financial spectrum. Yes, Doumit has been good this year on a bad team, yes he has had clutch hits, and yes he has stayed healthy.

But for 2013 or 2014 I would expect Chris Herrmann, currently at AA and playing all right (though not tearing it up right now) to take on the back-up catcher role. Herrmann can also play left field. He's also a better catcher than Doumit, incidentally. He has to be added to the 40 man after this season. He hopefully can do 70-80 percent of Doumit's job for about 10 percent of the salary. On a team that should be moving in the direction of trading veterans for prospects and giving young guys a shot, I'm not sure that Doumit makes a whole lot of sense.

So, if the Twins do lock up Doumit for the next 2-3 seasons, I hope that the contract is such that Doumit remains a tradeable asset.

I agree with what you are saying, of course, but Herrmann is likely not going to break camp with the Twins next year (though he is starting to right the BB/K ship over the past two weeks) and so there is that hole there that is not reasonably filled with any other C free agent for a better price. Also, I don't really have a problem with a Mauer-Doumit-Herrmann group on the roster instead of having Drew Butera involved as anything else but AAA help for upcoming pitchers. The first two are injury risks and all three can play multiple positions (I wonder if Herrmann can add RF and/or 1B). That especially makes sense if Morneau is not with the Twins in 2013 (and more likely certainly gone by 2014). Herrmann is also hitting lefties strangely well in a SSS at New Britain (for what it's worth).

I guess I would prefer overpaying for a one-year extension (even at $6-7 million) instead of a two-year extension ($8-10 million), but whatever. If he likes playing for the Twins, keep him.

#26 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:47 AM

Not sure how I feel about this either... For one, unless either Butera is gone or Gardenhire is willing to PH Doumit for him in games like last night's (or, of course, unless Gardenhire is gone, but not sure that I believe in miracles) this team will not get enough value from Doumit for what they pay him. The other this is that this would be a totally schizophrenic decision, if you look it in the context that this team is having a rookie who is the worse hitter on the team keep playing SS. You either go wholesale young and give people like Herrmann a chance or you go veteran. This half-rear end approach is bothersome.
So if Doumit is going to be a UT player is he worth $4-5 mil a season? Probably not, but this is the team that paid Punto about that much...

I agree that it is pretty murky, but characterizing Doumit as a utility player is not really accurate. I wouldn't call the primary DH and backup catcher a utility guy. And his value as such is probably a bit more than $5 million a season. It looks like it is this year at least.

As far as Dozier goes, outside of Florimon, I am not sure what else there is to do (Casilla is not an improvement).

#27 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:53 AM

I agree with what you are saying, of course, but Herrmann is likely not going to break camp with the Twins next year (though he is starting to right the BB/K ship over the past two weeks) and so there is that hole there that is not reasonably filled with any other C free agent for a better price. Also, I don't really have a problem with a Mauer-Doumit-Herrmann group on the roster instead of having Drew Butera involved as anything else but AAA help for upcoming pitchers. The first two are injury risks and all three can play multiple positions (I wonder if Herrmann can add RF and/or 1B). That especially makes sense if Morneau is not with the Twins in 2013 (and more likely certainly gone by 2014). Herrmann is also hitting lefties strangely well in a SSS at New Britain (for what it's worth).

I guess I would prefer overpaying for a one-year extension (even at $6-7 million) instead of a two-year extension ($8-10 million), but whatever. If he likes playing for the Twins, keep him.

Yea, agreed that Herrmann might not be ready to start 2013 in Minnesota, so it's certainly worth considering the set of conditions under which Doumit both stays and his contract remains tradeable.

It's kind of crazy to think that next season this team could be spending $28 million on the catching position alone.
Andrew Walter
Twins Fan From Afar

#28 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:05 PM

Yea, agreed that Herrmann might not be ready to start 2013 in Minnesota, so it's certainly worth considering the set of conditions under which Doumit both stays and his contract remains tradeable.

It's kind of crazy to think that next season this team could be spending $28 million on the catching position alone.

Well it isn't the "catching position alone" given that they are both going to be in the lineup together most of the time. Also, with regard to having Mauer-Doumit-Herrmann all on the roster . . . it seems less odd if one considers it from the best 13 position players angle and adds in the possibility that A: Joe Benson and Rene Tosoni may not be MLB serviceable until ???, B: someone from this Willingham-Span-Revere OF might be traded, and C: Plouffe isn't likely headed back to the OF. It's possible to have a bench with Herrmann and Valencia on it next year, which might make sense.

#29 DPJ

DPJ

Banned

• Banned
  • 636 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:11 PM

If the Twins were gonna be a playoff type team then hell yeah I'd sign him for 2/10. But it's not the backup catcher/DH is gonna make or break the Twins the next couple seasons as they rebuild. He's a nice piece to have around, but that shouldn't stand in the way exploring his market this trade deadline and moving him his ass if the deal is right.

#30 fetch

fetch

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 12:18 PM

Assuming wins are worth 4 million or so per then Doumit is definitely worth it (so was Punto by the way). Plus he would definitely be a desirable asset in a trade with that type of deal.