Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

From MinnCentric

Photo

Article: Twins vs. Reds, 06/23/2012, 3:10pm

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,179 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:47 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...-23-2012-3-10pm

#2 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,179 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:51 AM

Lineups:

Twins
Span CF
Revere RF
Mauer 1B
Willingham LF
Plouffe 3B
Doumit C
Dozier SS
Carroll 2B
(Duensing P)

Reds
Cozart SS
Heisey CF
Votto 1B
Phillips 2B
Bruce RF
Rolen 3B
Frazier LF
Hanigan C
(Cueto P)

#3 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,148 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:04 PM

Last night Mauer was deemed slower than Liam Hendriks. Today he's in the starting lineup. Be interested to see how he moves.

#4 stringer bell

stringer bell

Front office apologist

• Twins News Team
  • 4,554 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:23 PM

Last night Mauer was deemed slower than Liam Hendriks. Today he's in the starting lineup. Be interested to see how he moves.

Not necessarily slower, just they didn't want Mauer to aggravate the injury knowing that he wasn't going to stay in the game. Mauer/Hendriks were on first with runners ahead on second and third. All the runner on first had to do was go station to station.

#5 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,484 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:17 PM

Not necessarily slower, just they didn't want Mauer to aggravate the injury knowing that he wasn't going to stay in the game. Mauer/Hendriks were on first with runners ahead on second and third. All the runner on first had to do was go station to station.

It also seems possible that Hendriks runs pretty fast, and he might be used again as a pinch runner.

#6 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:59 PM

Why does Cueto wear a towel under his cap? Is it to catch sweat like a headband or what?
Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

#7 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,484 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:16 PM

It would be good to get some early runs here.

#8 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,148 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:27 PM

Duensing looking pretty good. I'm actually surprised it has taken the Twins this long to give him a chance in the rotation.

#9 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

Duensing looking pretty good. I'm actually surprised it has taken the Twins this long to give him a chance in the rotation.

It's one inning...not ready to crown him the savior of the rotation just yet, also in the past he proved to only be a mediocre option in the rotation.

#10 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,484 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:37 PM

I think that this probably has something to do with how he struggled as a starter last season, and the fact that right handed batters were lighting him up.

Why the F was Willingham trying to steal second?

#11 PMKI

PMKI

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:44 PM

Nice play Dozier!

#12 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:45 PM

I think that this probably has something to do with how he struggled as a starter last season, and the fact that right handed batters were lighting him up.

Hit and run, which is a good call on a 3-2 pitch with Plouffe (who mashes LHP) at the plate.

#13 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:46 PM

Plouffe had a full count. It's a way to stay out the double play (other than the strike out, which happened). I think it was the right call, but a little risky and it caught up to us that time.

#14 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:47 PM

Hit and run, which is a good call on a 3-2 pitch with Plouffe (who mashes LHP) at the plate.

Cueto is a righty.

#15 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:50 PM

Cueto is a righty.

Derp, my bad. Shows how close I am watching... either way Plouffe has been on fire recently so the hit and run there wasn't a bad idea.

#16 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,148 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:52 PM

It's one inning...not ready to crown him the savior of the rotation just yet, also in the past he proved to only be a mediocre option in the rotation.

Mediocre is a huge upgrade over much of what they've been sending out there.

#17 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:56 PM

With 5 mediocre starters all year, we'd have a good shot of having a winning record.

#18 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

Mediocre is a huge upgrade over much of what they've been sending out there.

I don't disagree with that, but a guy like Duensing provides a very valuable piece to the team when he is in the bullpen, DeVries, Walters etc would only have value as a mop up guy in the pen.

I just hope they don't fall in love with a few good innings from Duensing and assume he can be an answer to the rotation moving forward (into 2013) The Twins need to go into the off-season with the mindset that they need to figure out how to fill at least 4 rotation spots.

#19 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:11 PM

If Duensing got the call because he's a lefty, he needs to make Votto and the other lefties swing the bat. A righty could walk Votto too. And here is the consequence of the lead of walk. Sheesh

#20 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,484 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

If Duensing got the call because he's a lefty, he needs to make Votto and the other lefties swing the bat. A righty could walk Votto too. And here is the consequence of the lead of walk. Sheesh

You speak the truth my friend.

#21 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:13 PM

Votto hits .909 OPS against LHP in his career and currently leads the league in BA/OBP/SLG/OPS

Pitching around Votto is not a bad play...

#22 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,484 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:18 PM

Time to warm up Swarzak?

#23 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:23 PM

Not shocking that Duensing struggled quite a bit the 2nd time through the lineup, good news is they don't have any illusions and can now put him back into the pen where he is a nice asset.

#24 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:26 PM

Nice play Swarzak, you knucklehead.

#25 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

So Duensing, who struggles against RH hitters, is approaching his pitch limit, and almost surely won't finish the inning no matter what. WTF do you let him face Rolen in a 2-0 game? Sometimes one wonders if Gardy is even paying attention any more.

#26 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,179 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:28 PM

Been listening on the radio while I cleaned the cars. Sounds like this game has been chock full of Twins Baseball™.

#27 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

RP: what's up with the post style? All posts are partially hidden with little toggle bars to space up/down and left/right so you can read the whole thing? Is this by design? Or some setting I can change? It's virtually impossible to read this thread as is.

#28 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

Votto hits .909 OPS against LHP in his career and currently leads the league in BA/OBP/SLG/OPS

Pitching around Votto is not a bad play...

Pitching around a lefty, in a lefty on lefty matchup to lead off an inning? I don't think so. He was just nibbling way too much.

#29 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,179 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

RP: what's up with the post style? All posts are partially hidden with little toggle bars to space up/down and left/right so you can read the whole thing? Is this by design? Or some setting I can change? It's virtually impossible to read this thread as is.

What browser and version are you using? I know there's a problem with Internet Explorer 7. Is that what you're using?

#30 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,184 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:31 PM

Pitching around a lefty, in a lefty on lefty matchup to lead off an inning? I don't think so. He was just nibbling way too much.

Votto is not simply just another lefty, Votto is quite possibly the best hitter in the game currently and has a great eye/will not make a mistake. Many of those pitches were only missing by a tiny bit. Votto did what he did best: He took what the pitcher gave him and found a way to have a productive at bat.