Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Bullpen Calculus

blaine boyer j.r. graham caleb thielbar mark hamburger aaron thompson
  • Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#81 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 12,932 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:18 AM

The Twins now have what, six pitchers age 25 or older slated for AAA (Oliveros, Tonkin, Hamburger, Achter, Pressly, Meyer) - seven if May is optioned?

With all except Hamburger on the 40-man roster too.

If we expand the list, we have recent hard thrower Pryor, plus possibly Thompson & Thielbar, and Darnell the starter too.  All 25 or above, all currently on the 40-man roster.

Admittedly a couple should be dropped from the roster in the next week, but if the goal was to sort through them at spring training before thinning the herd and establishing a good depth chart, it should be noted that the youngest and probably highest upside of this group were also the first to be optioned out of big league camp.  Hamburger, Thompson, and Thielbar, all age 28 with past MLB experience, are the only three in this group to even last into the last two weeks of spring training (excepting May who's starting, of course).

#82 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 2,939 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:27 AM

The Twins don't need to trade for a mediocre relief pitcher. If the "veterans" Ryan bought are unacceptable, then start using the options on the minor leaguers. A platoon of RPs were drafted recently, (plus those already on hand) use these guys. Each has a total of three years of options--use them!

• Mike Sixel likes this

#83 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 25,285 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:32 AM

With all except Hamburger on the 40-man roster too.

If we expand the list, we have recent hard thrower Pryor, plus possibly Thompson & Thielbar, and Darnell the starter too.  All 25 or above, all currently on the 40-man roster.

Admittedly a couple should be dropped from the roster in the next week, but if the goal was to sort through them at spring training before thinning the herd and establishing a good depth chart, it should be noted that the youngest and probably highest upside of this group were also the first to be optioned out of big league camp.  Hamburger, Thompson, and Thielbar, all age 28 with past MLB experience, are the only three in this group to even last into the last two weeks of spring training (excepting May who's starting, of course).

Not exactly the traditional rebuild process......

• Shane Wahl likes this

One of the best opening day rosters in years. Now go get 'em.

#84 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 6,027 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:32 AM

Small sample size in spring leads Twins astray again.

I hope that this isn't an appropriate headline, but I am afraid it might be. And thus Mike Pelfrey and Blaine Boyer make the roster. No offense to the latter, and maybe this has just been a little showcase and buildup for other teams to claim him. 

I would really prefer May in the rotation and Oliveros in the bullpen to add strikeouts and a modicum of intimidation for batters.

#85 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 8,452 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:49 AM

Another question is:

which of Hughes, Nolasco, Santana, or Gibson moves to the bullpen when Meyer is promoted into the rotation?

It's a mere moment in a man's life between the All Star

Game and an old timer's game. - Vin Scully

#86 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 6,027 posts

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:59 AM

Calculus, indeed.

I was damn good at math through 10th grade. Then some higher algebra came along and I was like "what?" Then senior year A.P. Calculus *destroyed my brain* even with the top notch teachers at old BHS (that's Bemidji, not other poser B-towns in Minnesota).

Through about "10th grade" in the Gardenhire era, the Twins had successful bullpens and always the promise of able guys to overfill the bullpen. By now, however, my brain can't deal with this current mess. I really don't like moving any of these 5th starters to the bullpen. May would be wasted as a long man and would get out of whack in a MR role. Pelfrey may only be successful in an MR role. Milone is going to get shelled either way.

And then there is this race for mediocrity between Boyer, Thielbar, Thompson, Hamburger, and Graham. Four spots between these eight guys? And that's after Duensing, and Stauffer. Why? How? 

Luckily, there are guys like Oliveros and Tonkin there, and there are those recently drafted hard-throwers in AA and A+. So maybe the headache will end within a year.

It would be how I then went to BSU and didn't have to take a math class in their honors program and could take Symbolic Logic (a Philosophy course, sorta) instead.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blaine boyer, j.r. graham, caleb thielbar, mark hamburger, aaron thompson