Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

What is the Twins' Greatest Need?

pitching defense chris carter speed power
  • Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,059 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:03 PM

I saw a note on the "other baseball" thread that mentioned that Chris Carter of the Astros was available and my first thought was "not the Twins" with their backlog of DH and poor-fielding corner players.

I started thinking what the Twins might want to trade for and besides high-ceiling starting pitching, I really don't see what they would be looking for. I guess they could use premier talent at any position, but they appear to have starting depth (at least now), relief pitching depth and a prospect at almost every position.

My point here is that it would seem unlikely that the Twins will be trading for any out-of-options types or any guys who would be only a small improvement over what they have. We have all noted that the starting corner outfielders don't profile as good defenders. There is a competition in center between three candidates who haven't set the big leagues on fire, and there are at least three positions where significant regression is (unfortunately) pretty likely.

If the Twins were to trade some pitching excess (starting or relieving) who or what should they be looking for in return?
  • glunn likes this

#2 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,534 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:14 PM

"Twins were to trade some pitching excess..."

Yes the Twins are backlogged with excess pitching, unfortunately, almost all of that "pitching excess" is of the untradeable variety- at least in the sense of netting a team upgrade.  

Anyone in particular that you have in mind?

• ashburyjohn likes this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#3 NoCryingInBaseball

NoCryingInBaseball

• Members
  • 300 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:34 PM

Younger pitching prospects with high ceilings 

• glunn and HitInAPinch like this
You're killin' me Smalls!

#4 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,204 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:37 PM

More guys better at playing baseball?

Edited by TheLeviathan, 16 March 2015 - 08:38 PM.

• glunn, James, SgtSchmidt11 and 2 others like this

#5 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,059 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:47 PM

Yes the Twins are backlogged with excess pitching, unfortunately, almost all of that "pitching excess" is of the untradeable variety- at least in the sense of netting a team upgrade.  

Anyone in particular that you have in mind?

The only player I know of that I think would really help the Twins is Peter Bourgos, who would be a major upgrade defensively over anyone the Twins would put out there. I understand that Bourgos would only be in center for a portion of 2015 and that he isn't a great hitter, but IMHO the biggest need the position players have is improving outfield defense.

Edited by stringer bell, 16 March 2015 - 08:48 PM.

• glunn likes this

#6 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:56 PM

More guys better at playing baseball?

If we send Levi Michael, Alex Wimmers, and Brian Duensing in a package, that has to get us Cole Hamels right?

Edited by SgtSchmidt11, 16 March 2015 - 08:57 PM.

• glunn, nytwinsfan and HitInAPinch like this

#7 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,605 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 08:59 PM

Carter's rare power in this age of baseball probably means he costs more then his deeper numbers suggest he should.

I doubt anyone would be willing to give up Kyle Gibson but he might be the closest Twin to what Houston would look for.
  • glunn likes this

#8 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,334 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:01 PM

Younger pitching prospects with high ceilings

They already have a handful of those, though.

It's a difficult question to answer without asking whether you want to improve the MiLB system or the MLB team in 2015.
  • glunn and brvama like this

#9 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 15,204 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:26 PM

If we send Levi Michael, Alex Wimmers, and Brian Duensing in a package, that has to get us Cole Hamels right?

Whoa....no reason to overpay like that.  We already included Duensing.

• glunn and James like this

#10 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,164 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:04 PM

I saw a note on the "other baseball" thread that mentioned that Chris Carter of the Astros was available and my first thought was "not the Twins" with their backlog of DH and poor-fielding corner players.

I started thinking what the Twins might want to trade for and besides high-ceiling starting pitching, I really don't see what they would be looking for. I guess they could use premier talent at any position, but they appear to have starting depth (at least now), relief pitching depth and a prospect at almost every position.

My point here is that it would seem unlikely that the Twins will be trading for any out-of-options types or any guys who would be only a small improvement over what they have. We have all noted that the starting corner outfielders don't profile as good defenders. There is a competition in center between three candidates who haven't set the big leagues on fire, and there are at least three positions where significant regression is (unfortunately) pretty likely.

If the Twins were to trade some pitching excess (starting or relieving) who or what should they be looking for in return?

I think the following positions are pretty much locked up either for current guys or the Twins won't do something to block it for the future - 1B (Mauer), 2B (Dozier), 3B (Sano/Plouffe), CF (? until Buxton), LF (Arcia).They probably have enough MI prospects to somehow hold down shortstop.

I think Vargas at DH is the weakest link for this year, he could be a AAAA guy like Klaw thinks.If he can't hit at this level, then we have some depth behind him but no big bat to take over.Maybe Hunter moves to DH and Schafer/Rosario goes to the corner?Bats are really tough to get right now.And they don't really have a catcher of the future either.So, I guess if they wanted to package Meyer to the Mets for Pawlecki, the Mets would probably have to listen. 

• glunn and nytwinsfan like this

#11 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• Members
  • 2,532 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:19 AM

Our greatest need right now IMO is bullpen.I think it's shakey as it is with all those arms.

• glunn, brvama and h2oface like this

he gone!

#12 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,011 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:25 AM

A willingness to stop playing mediocre veterans with no upside, and to promote young players sooner rather than later.

but that probably wasn't the question.....

LF (Rosario might be that guy, the fact they have him playing CF in the minors is mind bogglingly bad resource management, given they have Buxton) or catcher (I don't believe in Kurt, and they don't believe in Josmil). I think they have the bullpen arms in AA and AAA, they just won't promote them right now. 

• glunn, Kevin, jokin and 2 others like this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#13 Platoon

Platoon

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 4,844 posts
  • LocationTwinsWorld

Posted 17 March 2015 - 07:54 AM

A willingness to stop playing mediocre veterans with no upside, and to promote young players sooner rather than later.

but that probably wasn't the question.....

LF (Rosario might be that guy, the fact they have him playing CF in the minors is mind bogglingly bad resource management, given they have Buxton) or catcher (I don't believe in Kurt, and they don't believe in Josmil). I think they have the bullpen arms in AA and AAA, they just won't promote them right now.

. I tried to like this more than once but it won't let me!
TwinsWorld: Did you hear we just updated the Stadium Club?

If I wanted balls and strikes called by a robot, I would get an Xbox!

#14 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Cham-Peen of the World

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:06 AM

Fewer veterans would also be my answer. For a supposedly rebuilding team, they're awfully old, and got even older somehow this last offseason.
  • Mike Sixel, nicksaviking, jokin and 2 others like this

#15 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,334 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:10 AM

LF (Rosario might be that guy, the fact they have him playing CF in the minors is mind bogglingly bad resource management, given they have Buxton)

That's only a problem if one stops the other from playing or being promoted. If a guy can play CF, he can play a corner outfield spot with almost no adjustment time. If the guy has the ability to play CF, you keep him there as long as possible because up the middle players are more valuable and flexible to fit your roster needs.
  • glunn, birdwatcher, gunnarthor and 2 others like this

#16 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,605 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:19 AM

Seems to me a guy at the front of the rotation who can give you 230 innings with a K/9 of 9.0 and an ERA+ of 130 would do the trick.

• glunn likes this

#17 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 940 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:21 AM

We have a rookie manager and a rookie pitching coach.I suspect that this will be a painfully obvious weakness by the All Star break.

• h2oface likes this

#18 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,334 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:25 AM

We have a rookie manager and a rookie pitching coach. I suspect that this will be a painfully obvious weakness by the All Star break.

Molitor, maybe. Allen, no way. He's been a good coach for a long time.

#19 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 27,011 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:29 AM

That's only a problem if one stops the other from playing or being promoted. If a guy can play CF, he can play a corner outfield spot with almost no adjustment time. If the guy has the ability to play CF, you keep him there as long as possible because up the middle players are more valuable and flexible to fit your roster needs.

I don't buy this. If he's going to be your LF of the future, he should be playing and learning LF. They should, imo, be operating under the assumption Buxton is their CF of the future (like, next year), and be preparing for that day, not for a day you never want to come.

• h2oface likes this

There's always next year, or the next, or maybe by the time I'm Chief's age, I guess....

#20 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,334 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 08:33 AM

I don't buy this. If he's going to be your LF of the future, he should be playing and learning LF. They should, imo, be operating under the assumption Buxton is their CF of the future (like, next year), and be preparing for that day, not for a day you never want to come.

What happens if Buxton gets hurt and Rosario is raking in LF but hasn't played center in several months?

Why do that? If a guy can play center, he can play right and he can certainly play left because Ricky Nolasco could probably play a competent left field.

The Twins aren't unique in this regard. Lots of teams keep guys at up the middle positions for as long as possible because a player can always shift down the defensive spectrum but going up is difficult.

It will take Rosario about five minutes to adjust to LF because playing center is like playing both right and left fields.
  • glunn and birdwatcher like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pitching, defense, chris carter, speed, power