Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Byron Buxton

adopt a prospect byron buxton
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 21 June 2012 - 09:32 AM

Much has been - and will continue to be - written about 2012 #2 overall pick (but owner of the highest bonus at $6m) Byron Buxton. I'll start this thread off with links to a bunch of different stories about the prospect who is expected to make his professional debut in the next 3-5 days.

Baseball America names Buck the HS POY

Video from BA

News Press article (following initial press conference in FM)

Naples Daily

CBS News

KSTP interview with Joe Schmit (would love to read a transcipt... listen closely as Buxton says "spring training and all that.... what?!)

#2 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,129 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 10:35 AM

Buxton made his pro debut yesterday and went 0-for-4 with a K. Today was more of the same: F9, F8, 6-4 FC (and made it as far as 2B), F9. Though it's far too early to be alarmed, it is encouraging that he's getting wood on the ball and putting it in play. It's hard to be sure what kind of fly outs these were, but it's a much better sign that a bunch of 1-3s or 4-3s or Ks.

Edited by Jeremy Nygaard, 23 June 2012 - 10:38 AM.

#3 Twins Fan From Afar

Twins Fan From Afar

• Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:18 AM

Yea, it's way, way too early to be making anything of these games. Like months too early. This is an extremely crazy time in Buxton's life. I know from talking to some of the Rock Cats guys that, at the beginning of the season, their housing, car and life situations are all in major states of flux. And to have to go play games and treat baseball as a full-time job on top of everything is probably pretty stressful for an 18 year old (though I'm sure the $6 million in the bank account makes things just a little bit better!). I'm just happy the Twins have him in uniform and getting playing time just a few weeks after the draft.
Andrew Walter
Twins Fan From Afar
Providing Twins and Rock Cats Coverage
http://twinsfanfroma...gspot.com<br />Follow me on Twitter: @MNfanfromafar

#4 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 11:52 AM

I would like to think that some of his fly outs are pretty well hit

#5 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,215 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:24 PM

In light of his pitching success in high school and his velocity, I wish that they would let him pitch a few games just to see what he can do.

#6 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:00 PM

In light of his pitching success in high school and his velocity, I wish that they would let him pitch a few games just to see what he can do.

No way, they want him focusing 100% of his attention on hitting/fielding, but mainly hitting.

#7 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,446 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 11:15 AM

This morning in the GCL, Buxton went 2-4 with his first professional home run. He also stole a base.

#8 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:24 AM

Buxton left the game after stealing a base in GCL's game today. Play-by-plays says injured leg.

#9 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 987 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:56 AM

For $6 million, you can get a pretty nice apartment, or live in a hotel while you are on-site. Hell, you can buy a nice little condo in Ft. Myers and rent out other rooms to players. Have your own swimming pool and a pool table in the dining room. The minors can be a pain (does Byron go to Eliza). ut when you are young and get to play baseball all day, you basically need a nice locker room and a sleeping room.

#10 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,446 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:55 PM

Buxton left the game after stealing a base in GCL's game today. Play-by-plays says injured leg.

Pulled Hamstring.

#11 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 02:41 PM

Better than broken ankle i guess....hopefully more of a tweak

#12 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:00 AM

Buxton back in the lineup today. Walked in his 1st PA

#13 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

Wimmers lasted 2/3IP 4H/3R/BB

#14 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 10:26 AM

Buxton rbi triple in 2nd at bat. Hitting 3rd today.

#15 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:35 PM

3 run HR for Buxton today in GCL Win. #2

#16 twinswon1991

twinswon1991

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 26 July 2012 - 12:41 PM

Bux is probably 5 years from the bigs but it will be fun to watch him grow. If he can develop the hit tool, he could be a star.

#17 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,129 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 12:25 PM

Since Buxton returned from hamstring injury: 5 games (5 game hitting streak): 5-for-14 (.357), 2B, 3B, 2 HR, 5 RBI, 2 BB, 7 K. Today's game (in which he led it off with a home run) is still underway. What also shouldn't be forgotten in all of this is that your typical high-drafted rookies (up until this year) probably wouldn't be getting into games until August, or mid-August, at the earliest. If I was running the system, I would promote Buxton to Elizabethton now that's he settled down (or probably after another week or two) and let him enjoy playing baseball under the lights and into the playoffs.

#18 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,215 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:02 PM

If I was running the system, I would promote Buxton to Elizabethton now that's he settled down (or probably after another week or two) and let him enjoy playing baseball under the lights and into the playoffs.

That makes very good sense to me.

#19 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,036 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:09 PM

As long as he's not in Elizabethton past June of next year.....but if they slow track him, I will continue my disgust at this "process".
Lighten up Francis....

#20 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:46 PM

I agree. They allowed Sano to be in Beloit at 19....Buxton should absolutely be there next yr. Hicks & Revere spent their 19 yr old seasons in Beloit also, so that should be where he ends up. Cant imagine how strong ELIZ would be with him also, but they may need to promote an OF to get a spot. Didnt think about the lights, but thats a big adjustment also.

#21 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,129 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 01:50 PM

Revere and Hicks both joined Beloit after the weather warmed up. I would love for Buxton to continue that trend. An outfield of Walker, Buxton, Kepler at one level and Arcia, Hicks, Benson a few levels ahead is worth smiling about.

#22 CDog

CDog

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:02 PM

Since Buxton returned from hamstring injury:

5 games (5 game hitting streak): 5-for-14 (.357), 2B, 3B, 2 HR, 5 RBI, 2 BB, 7 K. Today's game (in which he led it off with a home run) is still underway.

Do I remember correctly that he hit only 3 HR's in his final high school season? Obvious conclusion: GCL is easier than high school baseball.

#23 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:05 PM

there have also been a plethora of other 19 yr olds to spend the entire year in Low A from start. No question that a #2 pick should be one of em. Sure is showing the Twins that he should with his play. Very happy & yes that would be a massive Beloit OF, but where does Romy Jimenez fit into that OF. Leads the App Lg in almost everything. Someone will need to make a jump, but having 4 guys makes me leary MN would keep Buxton out till June

#24 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 27 July 2012 - 02:29 PM

there have also been a plethora of other 19 yr olds to spend the entire year in Low A from start. No question that a #2 pick should be one of em. Sure is showing the Twins that he should with his play. Very happy & yes that would be a massive Beloit OF, but where does Romy Jimenez fit into that OF. Leads the App Lg in almost everything. Someone will need to make a jump, but having 4 guys makes me leary MN would keep Buxton out till June

I think he's wasting time at GCL. Because they're the Twins,they're likely to start in Eliz next year. Also a waste of time. Kepler should be in Beloit now.

But they keep room for guys who have no shot,like Liddle. Move Roberts to FM, Kepler to Beloit and Buxton to Eliz now.

#25 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:10 PM

First 8 gms 2-31 2runs 8k 3bb hbp 0/1sb Next 12gms 12/35 8runs 3doubles 1triple 3HR 8rbi 14k 5bb 2/3sb for a .342/.477/.743 line (thru Sat 28th)

Edited by greengoblinrulz, 04 August 2012 - 07:00 PM.

#26 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,129 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:39 PM

Back in CF today and had a double. That's six extra base hits in seven games since his return from injury.

#27 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• 2,129 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:48 PM

While DH'ing, Buxton drilled a triple to center field. Hit streak's at 8 (all one-hit games), seven of eight hits have gone for extra bases. In his last 10 games, he's hitting .303 with an OPS 1.198.

#28 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 10:50 AM

kid isnt playing today.....is he ill/hamstring acting up or is there a promotion??? Hope they just dont think he needs a day off

#29 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,021 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

Buxton continues to produce, his impressive line for Aug.3: 1 HR, 1 3B, 1 W, 3 R in 4 ABs. Questions for the MiLB experts. The GCL regular season ends 8-25, E-Town on 8-28, Beloit on 9-3, Fort Myers on 9-2. What is/are the next move or moves for Buxton for this year, given the scheduling windows for the various teams next up the ladder rungs? His recent numbers indicate he is beginning to get it and is ready for more challenges before this year is finished. The September call-up door is soon opening that will create a domino effect for open roster spots, especially for the extended season for those teams that are in playoff contention (NB, Beloit). Do the Twins push him and take advantage of these playing opportunities for Buxton or bring him along more cautiously?

#30 maxisagod

maxisagod

• Members
  • 321 posts
  • LocationThe Moon

Posted 04 August 2012 - 02:29 PM

Questions for the MiLB experts. The GCL regular season ends 8-25, E-Town on 8-28, Beloit on 9-3, Fort Myers on 9-2. What is/are the next move or moves for Buxton for this year, given the scheduling windows for the various teams next up the ladder rungs? His recent numbers indicate he is beginning to get it and is ready for more challenges before this year is finished. The September call-up door is soon opening that will create a domino effect for open roster spots, especially for the extended season for those teams that are in playoff contention (NB, Beloit). Do the Twins push him and take advantage of these playing opportunities for Buxton or bring him along more cautiously?

If it's clear that the gulf coast Twins are not making the playoffs and Appy Twins are, they might promote Buxton for their playoff push. It's more likely they have him skip Appy next year and bring him up to Low A in may or June. But that's not even a given. If you promote Buxton that means someone else sits and Etown outfield is full of talent. a large playoff domino effect is unlikely. The real question is who from etown is talented and mature enough to skip low a and go to high A next year? creating space for Buxton or Dereck Rodriguez in low A.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: adopt a prospect, byron buxton