Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Fangraphs article comparing George Springer to Oswaldo Arcia

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,177 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:14 AM

http://www.fangraphs...eorge-springer/

Some good similarities.It talks about Springer's better pitch recognition.I think Arcia can improve greatly in this catagory though, his minor league numbers suggest so anyway.

• glunn and VandyTwinsFan like this

#2 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• 1,750 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:22 AM

Great article! If anyone can figure this out, its Brunansky. Here's hoping.

• glunn, birdwatcher, Mike Frasier Law and 1 other like this

#3 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 9,957 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 09:29 AM

Interesting article.  I do wonder how Arcia's splits play into this.  He killed righties last year but lefties were destroying him.  His OBP against righties was higher than his slg % against lefties!  I think that makes me a bit more confident that his k% will go down - either he hits lefties better or he starts being platooned against them.   

• glunn, birdwatcher, nicksaviking and 1 other like this

#4 HitInAPinch

HitInAPinch

Look deeply into mine eyes....

• 5,207 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:04 AM

"There are reasons that Oswaldo Arcia isn’t George Springer. Arcia doesn’t nearly have Springer’s speed. He doesn’t have Springer’s defensive ability."

I've only seen Arcia play a couple times, but I'd call those pretty accurate statements.I'd also say that Arcia was in the majors at 22 and has missed development time in the minors.

• glunn likes this

It's not my fault !

#5 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,727 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:06 AM

I would note he was an .800 OPS hitter the second half of the year. His minor league numbers say he can figure it out as well. Long and short, he needs to lay off pitches out of the zone. He's got the acumen to figure it out, and when he does... Look out. Vargas, Arcia, Sano could be really really nasty.
  • glunn and nicksaviking like this

#6 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Owner
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:42 AM

I like how they linked to three of my posts. That is nice.

• Brock Beauchamp, SQUIRREL, Steve Lein and 7 others like this

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#7 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 9,957 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:05 AM

amateur.png

Edited by gunnarthor, 19 February 2015 - 11:05 AM.

• glunn likes this

#8 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Owner
  • 2,808 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:08 AM

amateur.png

I-dont-get-it2.gif

• glunn and gunnarthor like this

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#9 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,177 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:30 PM

Ha that's awesome, another well deserved national nod!Funny thing is that I didn't even click those links because I thought to myself, Parker already broke that stuff down on TD!

• Parker Hageman, glunn, gunnarthor and 1 other like this

#10 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Twins Daily Staff
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:57 AM

Arcia was an OBP machine in the winter leagues this year (19 BB's in 31 VWL games), as he made a conscious effort to work on it (which has also been discussed here on TD).

I think he'll be a key offensive cog for the Twins this year, and he'd probably by my guy to bat 3rd in this lineup if he's going good.

• glunn and nytwinsfan like this

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 45, Speed: 45. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but will sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#11 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• 9,461 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 21 February 2015 - 11:35 PM

This is a very interesting article.  Would it not make sense for Arcia to get hundreds of breaking balls in batting practice this spring until he improves?

#12 Jham

Jham

• 2,226 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 12:40 AM

This is a very interesting article.  Would it not make sense for Arcia to get hundreds of breaking balls in batting practice this spring until he improves?

Your timing starts with the fastball.  I'd hate to see him lose his ability to mash fastballs because we wanted him to occasionally wait back on a breaking ball and wrist out a single to left.  I'd honestly rather they teach him not to swing at them than try to teach him to hit them.  Better then to focus on understanding how pitchers are trying to get you out so as to avoid the slider down and away.