Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

2015 Hammond Happenings

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
113 replies to this topic

#21 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• 2,670 posts
  • LocationCurrently Hammond Stadium

Posted 08 February 2015 - 03:41 PM

Parker, it's free I've been told by several.Jokin - not much here for catchers yet.I'll go tommorrow for awhile, got a meeting at noon, but should be 40 guys or more here in the morning. 

• Seth Stohs likes this

he gone!

#22 USNMCPO

USNMCPO

• 141 posts

Posted 08 February 2015 - 05:07 PM

Halsey, thanks for the updates. They are greatly appreciated.

#23 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• 2,670 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:13 PM

Monday, Feb 9th.Nice sunshine this morning but it quickly clouded up as I went to the park.I wonder what time they start now, must be way before 9.Roserio and that bunch were working on Perry's Hill, about 15 pitchers working on fielding drills on the half diamond, another group out in the outfield on Field 3, and some pitchers thowing on 1, and then going over towards 3.Then the rains came and everyone headed inside and things were cut short today.Some were hitting in the cages. 

When there's a Bentley around with Texas plates, you know who's here.I got wind of Tommy Watkins and Torii headed for the dorms, so headed that way with a couple of friends who had stuck around.Sure 'nuff, out they came.Torii was catching up with old grounds crew friends he hadn't seen since here and then we greeted him.The guys always got this big ol' infectous smile!So we chatted a bit, and he signed a few things.Luckily I had a ball in my pocket.Gosh, he either grew a few inches since I last saw him, or I've shrunk a bit.One gal with us didn't have anything to sign, (she gets stuff for a gal who's got ALS and uses it for charity auctions) so she mentioned that to him and asked if there was anything he could tell her.Torii said something to the effect "Just trust in God", that's all I can say. 

I have no idea how Torii will do this year, but it's just nice to have him around, and it was so nice seeing him here again. 

Oh, J.R. Graham did throw a pen by us, and Alex Meyer threw one in the pen between fields 1 and 2. 

Edited by Halsey Hall, 09 February 2015 - 02:15 PM.

• JB_Iowa, James and eLee612 like this

he gone!

#24 NoCryingInBaseball

NoCryingInBaseball

• 304 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:24 PM

Great report Halsey!

You're killin' me Smalls!

#25 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,699 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 09 February 2015 - 04:34 PM

Loving this thread.With 3 square a day and free housing, I'd think any minor leaguer would be all over that.They don't get paid much, get a head start, and keep themselves in the good graces of the front office.No brainer. 

#26 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 17,854 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 10:28 AM

Picture tweeted from the Ft. Myers Miracle account... of some Batting Practice on a back field. 

#27 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• 2,670 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:25 AM

The photo was of the second group to take bp.I noticed how Harrison only uses his upper body and it's all arms.Was told he's ok though. 

The first group was Fryer, Vargas, Hermann and Hunter.It took Torii all of about 3 minutes to start giving advice, first to Fryer, and then he worked with Vargas alot.Mostly about his cocked position and holding it, not getting out in front of the ball.He continued to show him things when the took the outfield.Torii will be worth his weight in gold just for the help he'll give to others and the tickets that will sell to come see him. 

About 30 people out here this morning as the word of Hunter being here brings them out of the woodwork.Next week there'll be hundreds.And Torii will be the main attraction as people say "Joe who?". 

• NoCryingInBaseball likes this

he gone!

#28 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,030 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:42 AM

Halsey, about when do people start working out and practicing? I might be able to stop by tomorrow or Thursday depending on my parents.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#29 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• 2,670 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 11:52 AM

When I get there around 9 they are already working out, but it lasts til around 11:30, with batting practice the last thing before they take a lunch break.Maybe see you over there!

he gone!

#30 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,030 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:08 PM

Lunch break? Do any come back in the afternoon for more?

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. But a skunkweed will always be a skunkweed and instantly recognizable. 

#31 DJL44

DJL44

• 681 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:42 PM

"Torii will be worth his weight in gold just for the help he'll give to others and the tickets that will sell to come see him."

He weighs about 225 pounds. At $1200 an ounce that's $4.32M for Torii. Too bad they're paying him $10M.

Edited by DJL44, 10 February 2015 - 01:43 PM.

• ashbury, diehardtwinsfan, TRex and 5 others like this

#32 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• 2,670 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:26 AM

Wed morning at the park.A few more guys showed up today.Mark Hamberger threw off the mound.AJ Achter is here.So is a beefed up Aaron Hicks.Looks like he added some upper body muscle.Torii joked it was from steroids.Bp took place on a couple of fields today.As usual Vargas cleared the fence the most with Hicks losing a few balls also.Supposed to be a high in the 60's for the week, perfect in my book. 

Max Kepler and Thorpe are also here now. 

Edited by Halsey Hall, 11 February 2015 - 11:27 AM.

• Shane Wahl, James, NoCryingInBaseball and 1 other like this

he gone!

#33 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,030 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:25 PM

Halsey, is most of this happening on the back fields? Any access yet to the stadium?

#34 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• 2,670 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:29 PM

No access to the stadium til the 22nd.The ticket office is open and a small gift shop next to it is all.Some people have just walked in and looked though, they tell me.I'm staying away. All the action is down the street. 

he gone!

#35 NoCryingInBaseball

NoCryingInBaseball

• 304 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 01:36 PM

I see that Reusse must have heard the same bantering from Hunter about Hicks because he tweeted: 

Patrick Reusse ‏@1500ESPN_Reusse Torii Hunter here working out for 2nd day. He's the Pied Piper for players -- including Aaron Hicks, who arrived today.

I pointed to Hicks & made a gesture as to width of his shoulders. Torii went right to his man Puck's playbook for teammates & shouted:
"Steroids! I'm turning him in." Hicks might as well get used to it. Agitation is going to make a comeback in Twins clubhouse this spring.

Great stuff Halsey!

• Shane Wahl likes this
You're killin' me Smalls!

#36 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,699 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:07 AM

Nice to hear Hicks has bulked up a bit. A bit more strength might help him.

#37 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,030 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 03:48 PM

Halsey, were you there today? I stopped by for a bit, but couldn't stay long. Saw Hughes in his vehicle leaving. But saw Hunter, Hicks, Vargas and I think Hermann (?) take some BP. So great to hear that crack of the bat and to see green, manicured baseball fields! Stopped by the gift store and bought my yearly hat purchase. (see below) The woman in the gift store mentioned that there would be two open houses for the 'new' stadium; one on Feb. 22 and another on Mar. 1, from 10-2, with organized tours and half-price concessions. Didn't ask about the presence of any players or mgmt, but the 22nd is the ribbon cutting so I would assume someone would be around. (Maybe Halsey knows?)
image.jpg
  • USAFChief, JB_Iowa, James and 2 others like this

#38 Halsey Hall

Halsey Hall

• 2,670 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 04:10 PM

Chi - Yes I was there, but wouldn't you know it, I was over the right field fence at the time.Those guys hit in the second group and I was sure Vargas would launch a few far enough to fetch.Not to be today, but he did send one out right handed toward the high school which I picked up on the way back.So all was not lost. 

Nice hat!Nothing cheap in there now though, but the stuff sells.

he gone!

#39 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,415 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 12 February 2015 - 07:32 PM

Halsey, were you there today? I stopped by for a bit, but couldn't stay long. Saw Hughes in his vehicle leaving. But saw Hunter, Hicks, Vargas and I think Hermann (?) take some BP. So great to hear that crack of the bat and to see green, manicured baseball fields! Stopped by the gift store and bought my yearly hat purchase. (see below) The woman in the gift store mentioned that there would be two open houses for the 'new' stadium; one on Feb. 22 and another on Mar. 1, from 10-2, with organized tours and half-price concessions. Didn't ask about the presence of any players or mgmt, but the 22nd is the ribbon cutting so I would assume someone would be around. (Maybe Halsey knows?)attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Nice. A simple TC logo...no M, or any such nonsense.
  • SQUIRREL likes this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#40 SQUIRREL

SQUIRREL

Rally SQUIRREL!!!!

• 25,030 posts

Posted 12 February 2015 - 08:45 PM

Nice. A simple TC logo...no M, or any such nonsense.

Well, along the back it does say, in small letters 'Spring Training 2015'