Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Article: Trevor Plouffe's Improved Defense

trevor plouffe scouting defense
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• 10,212 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:09 PM

Indeed. How he did in 226 chances can't give us an accurate description of the kind of defensive player he is overall, just like 55 IP for relievers can't, nor 200 IP, nor 500 PAs. All are short sample sizes. Those can only tell us how that player performed that year. :-) 

#22 Secondary User

Secondary User

Cedar Rapids Kernels

• 228 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 07:32 PM

An interesting aspect is that Plouffe saw this improvement in a year in which he was probably gettin gless help over at 1B than he had in the past.  Mauer is definitely athletic and will be more than compentent, but I don't think he was probably as good as Morneau in his first full season over there.

#23 jimmer

jimmer

A former AF SNCO who values integrity.

• 10,212 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 08:17 PM

Indeed. How he did in 226 chances can't give us an accurate description of the kind of defensive player he is overall, just like 55 IP for relievers can't, nor 200 IP, nor 500 PAs. All are short sample sizes. Those can only tell us how that player performed that year. :-) 

I mention 200 IP and 450 PAs because Hughes and Escobar get the benefit of the doubt from so many that their improvements are real and/or sustainable while Plouffe gets nothing but doubt from most on his improved defense. Is it because we have witnessed first hand his poor years and we put more value on those while the other two we've really only had when they were good so we put more value in that? If that's why, is it really fair or accurate? All are short sample sizes.

In reality, what those three did last year (and we can add Suzuki in there) are all examples of short sample sizes that can only tell us how those players performed last year. :-)

Edited by jimmer, 16 January 2015 - 08:41 PM.

#24 Dantes929

Dantes929

• 2,589 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:16 PM

What were Mauer's rankings because I thought he was excellent over there. Honestly, I thought if he was a perpetual GG winner there they would have given it to him again in 2014 but people just assume he wasn't that good because he wasn't that experienced.  He makes a great target.  Morneau was very good but he still did that hockey goalie swipe thing a little much.  Mauer just keeps his glove where he thinks the ball will be which imo is a better fundamental. This is relevant because I believe a good 1st baseman makes a tremendous difference in how others are viewed. Hrbek for example saved many an error. He is my main argument that GGs aren't really earned every year.

If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

#25 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,107 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:26 PM

I shared the fear when the ball was hit to Plouffe, but by mid-season I was confident when the ball was hit to him by mid-season. I think we have seen Plouffe mature as a ballplayer after seeing Plouffe come into the league with major issues in his game.

#26 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,107 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 16 January 2015 - 09:30 PM

What were Mauer's rankings because I thought he was excellent over there. Honestly, I thought if he was a perpetual GG winner there they would have given it to him again in 2014 but people just assume he wasn't that good because he wasn't that experienced.  He makes a great target.  Morneau was very good but he still did that hockey goalie swipe thing a little much.  Mauer just keeps his glove where he thinks the ball will be which imo is a better fundamental. This is relevant because I believe a good 1st baseman makes a tremendous difference in how others are viewed. Hrbek for example saved many an error. He is my main argument that GGs aren't really earned every year.

I thought Mauer was shaky early at first, mostly on popups and ground balls hit to him (to flip or not flip) and he was unsure of himself positioning and cutting off balls. As the season wore on, he got more and more comfortable. He's pretty athletic and has a really long reach. He's probably more prone to win a Gold Glove than a Silver Slugger IMHO.

#27 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

G.O.A.T.

• 14,266 posts
  • Locationthe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 17 January 2015 - 07:12 AM

Plouffe had a very good season, and I find it amusing that he's so underappreciated by Twins fans (in contrast to Dozier who's likely overrated a bit by us).He's an above average 3B.He's not an all star, but when you look at the total package, there's somewhere between 5 and 10 3B in baseball who were better than him.The real question is whether or not he's going to take another step forward.

He was a bit of a late bloomer, so I'd say it's possible, but even with minor improvements to his defense and bat, he's a pretty valuable piece to have on any team.If Sano hits the ground running in the minors and Plouffe has the same season or better, I suspect Plouffe will be a very valuable trade piece and will likely bring backa top 100 prospect and change.If he's not traded, he moves to left.That's not bad either, cause I have to think he'd be an upgrade over what we have in the corners presently. 

#28 Thegrin

Thegrin

• 1,024 posts
  • LocationRipon, CA

Posted 17 January 2015 - 09:16 AM

I love the Twins, however, there is not a player on the team that does not carry doubt when he is on the field.Plouffe is no different.

There are 2 ways to look atthe Twins 2015 season.

1) Because of the upgrade in pitching and their Run scoring ability, they will be a .500+ team and in contention into September.

2) Because of the failure of some parts of the team, whether it is pitching, hitting, fielding or management, they will be at the bottom of the division for most of the season. 

We have a right to be skeptical.If Plouffe does not maintain his 2014 level of play, the Twins will certainly be a sub-.500 team.:)

#29 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,445 posts

Posted 17 January 2015 - 11:32 AM

Plouffe had virtually no experience at 3B entering 2012. It was Valencia and Burroughs to start the season in 2012. Ten guys some time there in spring but Plouffe wasn't among them. He did play one game there in the minors in 2011. Is it surprising that he struggled with the glove learning the position in the midst of a major league season? His improvement is a credit to his hard work and the experience at playing the position.

The Twins probably could have done a better job of recognizing where he would best fit at the major league level and preparing him for that role.
  • Brock Beauchamp, SQUIRREL, ashbury and 3 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trevor plouffe, scouting, defense