Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Blackburn's Persisting Struggles

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:11 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...sting-Struggles

#2 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:46 PM

Blackburn has a 5.32 ERA since leaving the Metrodome (or since signing his contract). Another HORRIBLE decision from Bill Smith....but sadly what else are you gonna do. The guy is an atrocious pitcher on the team with the worst starting pitching in baseball. Only shot is to deal him in offseason for some other teams horrible contract & hope.

#3 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,340 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:55 PM

Other than the one bad pitch that resulted in the home run, he had a pretty good day today. His trend seems to be improving, and he may yet be an effective #4 or #5 starter.

#4 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,089 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:43 AM

Other than the one bad pitch that resulted in the home run, he had a pretty good day today.

Nine hits and two walks in six innings qualifies as "pretty good"? How far our standards have fallen.

#5 silverslugger

silverslugger

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:59 AM

I know the trend in baseball is to lock up players through their arbitration years and 1 to 2 of the first free agent years while gaining cost certainty. This is definitely one of the situations where going year to year would've been much preferable. Arbitration has been around long enough that teams should be able to build in some certainty based on past experience. I understand that almost all players are getting raises through this process, however, the bank isn't broke unless they have a monster year. In which case, they deserve it. I would more than trade the cost certainty for the flexibility of being able to make decisions one year at a time during those arbitration years.

#6 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Hydraulic Choppers

• Members
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:33 AM

No GM is going to trade for Blackburn, so we're stuck with him through next season. $5.5 million is ridiculous for a back-end starter. PJ Walters wasn't great but he's at least as good as Blackburn, and he was picked up on the scrap heap for pennies.

#7 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:58 AM

Right now the twins can either pay him 5.5 million to lose us games next year or they can cut ties and pay a total of 8 million or so by signing another average pitcher who might win some games. Great options.

#8 jharaldson

jharaldson

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:05 AM

Thank you for finally calling out Blackburn on his start this year. We rip on Marquis for his performance and when he was cut Blackburn had an ERA that was identical. We rip on Liriano for his performance this year and he has an ERA almost a point lower than Blackburn. Even if you take his 2009 WHIP he would rank 83/112 pitchers in baseball. He just isn't that good when he is good and he is really bad when he is bad.

#9 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,320 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:47 PM

I know the trend in baseball is to lock up players through their arbitration years and 1 to 2 of the first free agent years while gaining cost certainty. This is definitely one of the situations where going year to year would've been much preferable.

Right, because Blackburn isn't the kind of player that's likely to get big arbitration awards anyway. His contract was pretty much all risk, with little potential reward.

#10 chuchadoro

chuchadoro

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • LocationNordeast

Posted 18 June 2012 - 01:22 PM

Thank you for finally calling out Blackburn on his start this year. We rip on Marquis for his performance and when he was cut Blackburn had an ERA that was identical. We rip on Liriano for his performance this year and he has an ERA almost a point lower than Blackburn. Even if you take his 2009 WHIP he would rank 83/112 pitchers in baseball. He just isn't that good when he is good and he is really bad when he is bad.

+1

I've had enough of the excuses made for Blackburn by the Twins and their apologists. He's too strong early in the game, so his sinker won't sink. He's battling through injuries. He's battling his tail off. He's close. Maybe the real reason for Blackie's struggles is he's a replacement-level pitcher with a penchant for grooving waist-high sinkers over the middle of the plate.

#11 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:26 PM

Nine hits and two walks in six innings qualifies as "pretty good"? How far our standards have fallen.

This is a case where the numbers sound a little worse than it actually was. Yes, the 5th inning was bad, and he did give up a couple of hard hits early in the game, but until the 5th his control was better than it had been recently. You take out the 5th inning, and he did OK. Not good, but not bad either.

#12 peterb18

peterb18

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:57 PM

Here is a comment I made last week about Blackburn: He just doesn't have enough quality to his pitches--not enough movement, not a real good fastball, terrible curveball, etc. Everything has to be perfect for him to be successful. If he is pitching I wouldn't but a ticket!
Posted Image

#13 TwinVike61

TwinVike61

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:23 PM

If he is pitching I wouldn't but a ticket!
Posted Image

I think that's a typo but...a butt ticket ?

#14 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:41 PM

Blackburn is currently the textbook example of "sunk money".

#15 peterb18

peterb18

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 06:25 PM

I think that's a typo but...a butt ticket ?

Typo---buy a ticket