Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Projecting Payroll: 2015

payroll opening day rosters
  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#21 Rosterman

Rosterman

• 3,545 posts

Posted 16 January 2015 - 01:18 PM

And approx. $44 million could come off of the above by next season. If Nolasco shines, he is tradebait for sure with one year remaining in his contract. Suzuki and Pelfrey and Hunter will become free agents. No need to pay more for Stauffer or Duensing. I would consider keeping Fein, although if he does dynamite set-up duties he could be a potential late season closer for a team and bring a couple of prospects. Milone, Nunez, Sheafer all can drop out of the plans for 2016.

I don't think any of the minimum wage guys will be arbitration eligible (except for Escobar, and as a backup won't command as much) unless they fall in a super two, and the Twins could escape that if Hicks starts at the minors. Maybe Gibson reaches super two. 

I still think the Twins could add a $6-8 million outfielder/bench bat/DH/1st base guy and not suffer. I easily see that $8 million coming off it the Twins can pull a couple of trade deadline moves, just because they have back up starting pitching, bullpen help, or Sano and Rosario can play ball.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: payroll, opening day rosters