Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Twins Extend Phil Hughes

phil hughes
  • Please log in to reply
124 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,239 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:30 AM

Mark Feinsand from the New York Daily News is reporting this morning that the Twins and Phil Hughes have agreed to a three-year contract extension worth $42 million. The contract could keep Hughes in a Twins uniform through the 2019 season.Hughes came to the Twins a year ago on a three year contract worth $24 million. According to Feinsand, instead of making $8 million each of the next two seasons, he will receive $9.2 million the next two years. After that, he will get $13.2 million from 2017 through 2019.

He can also receive another $200,000 in any season in which he pitches at least 200 innings.

In essence, the team's ripped up his current contract and signed the still-just-28-year-old to a five year, $58 million contract.

When he came to the Twins a year ago, both sides were taking on some risk. The Twins gave three years and $24 million to a guy who had really struggled as a starting pitcher with the New York Yankees. On the other hand, Hughes knew that if he had a big year, he would still be under contract at terms lower than he could get on the open market. Now the risk lies solely with the Twins.

The move will ensure that the Twins will have Hughes, Ervin Santana and Ricky Nolasco as fixtures in the rotation through 2017. In addition to Kyle Gibson, barring any trades, this leaves just one vacancy for an emerging pitching prospect like Alex Meyer or Jose Berrios in the near future.

In his final start Hughes went eight innings before rain and a one hour delay ended his day just one out short of a $500,000 bonus (210 innings). This certainly should help him forget about that!

Click here to view the article
  • glunn and Wesleyka like this

#2 sorney

sorney

• Members
  • 233 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:37 AM

Good for him. Proves baseball (and the Twins) is flush with money.

#3 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:38 AM

SWEET.

That's really a reasonable contract, too.

• James and dbminn like this

#4 IndyTwinsFan

IndyTwinsFan

Cedar Rapids

• Members
  • 92 posts
  • LocationHoosier Land (but not a Hoosier)

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:45 AM

Age factors at the back end of the conract aside, if true, I like this move. IMHO, locking up a competent starter who actually wants be here is definitely not a bad or short-sighted move. The money certainly seems reasonable and fair for both parties.

Plus, I don't see his presence as truly "blocking" any of the highly-touted starters currently in the pipeline (Meyer, May, Berrios, Stewart, Thorpe, et al).
  • Mike Frasier Law likes this

#5 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,693 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:46 AM

I like the deal, had we waited a year and he pitched well, 3-42 would not have happened.He would have been staring at $80-100M deal a year from then.

Even if he throws up a 4.00 ERA next year, 3-42 seems a little light.

• James, Dman and nytwinsfan like this

#6 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:49 AM

Nice! I really hope his 2014 was for real, at which point this deal will be a complete steal for the Twins. Even if he regresses, it should still be good. 

I'm shocked that Hughes signed such a reasonable extension. He signed for less AAV than Nolasco or Santana. He is young enough that if he had just played out the next two seasons (and pitched decent and stayed healthy) he would probably be in line for something closer to Anibal Sanchez money, if not Lester money if he had two more seasons like 2014. 

• DAM DC Twins Fans, Mike Frasier Law and nytwinsfan like this

#7 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 20,143 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:49 AM

Even if he throws up a 4.00 ERA next year, 3-42 seems a little light.

I think you just explained why the Twins signed this deal. Short of Hughes completely imploding, this is a great deal for the Twins.

• gunnarthor, DAM DC Twins Fans, James and 4 others like this

#8 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,693 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:51 AM

I think you just explained why the Twins signed this deal. Short of Hughes completely imploding, this is a great deal for the Twins.

His career ERA before last year was 4.10 if you exclude the new Yankee stadium.So that would seem about the floor for me.Tons of upside here.Not much risk, outside the risk of a pitcher being hurt which comes alone with every deal.

• nytwinsfan likes this

#9 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:51 AM

This is good news.Yes, this does expose the Twins to additional risk, but I don't like the statement that the Twins assume all the risk at the higher value.At last year's production, 13.2 M per season is still a bargain on the FA market.It is a gamble on the Twins' part, but they seem convinced that he has figured it out and they aren't paying big money for a pitcher into his mid-30's.

#10 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:55 AM

There are no ifs, ans or buts about how ecstatic I am.

If he repeats last season then the extension price would have been twice this (possibly 100M) and he would have been in his mid 30's at the end.This is perfect.

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#11 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,852 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:55 AM

I'm digesting this. I did not expect this.

On the one hand, he's only 28 years old, and I'm firmly in the camp that thinks he is for real. Would I give a 5-year, $58 million contract to a guy to a guy like that? Yeah, I think I would. It's certainly favorable to the Santana deal, which seemed like a relative bargain. 

Would I rip up a fantastic contract to take on three extra years of risk? I'm a LOT more tentative about that. Even if he is for real, pitchers get hurt.

But the last time Hughes missed much time for an injury was 2011 (shoulder) and has basically had a full load of starts four of the last five years. And again , he's just 28.

OK, I like this deal - like it, don't love it. But that's from someone who is pretty skeptical about extensions. 

• USAFChief and Jerr like this

#12 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:56 AM

It is a good deal for the Twins assuming Hughes stays somewhat on track,

Hughes seems to be one Californian who really likes Minnesota and he and Perkins seem to have some chemistry.  Here's hoping they can lead this pitching staff back to respectability.

You've Gotta Have Heart.  All You Really Need Is Heart.

When the Odds Are Saying "You'll Never Win", That's When The Grin Should Start!

#13 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 9,019 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 08:58 AM

Nice deal for the Twins and it lets Hughes get one more big shot at FA when he's 32.  Good for both of them.

• nytwinsfan likes this

#14 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,848 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:03 AM

I'm digesting this. I did not expect this.

On the one hand, he's only 28 years old, and I'm firmly in the camp that thinks he is for real. Would I give a 5-year, $58 million contract to a guy to a guy like that? Yeah, I think I would. It's certainly favorable to the Santana deal, which seemed like a relative bargain. 

Would I rip up a fantastic contract to take on three extra years of risk? I'm a LOT more tentative about that. Even if he is for real, pitchers get hurt.

But the last time Hughes missed much time for an injury was 2011 (shoulder) and has basically had a full load of starts four of the last five years. And again , he's just 28.

OK, I like this deal - like it, don't love it. But that's from someone who is pretty skeptical about extensions. 

If you are going to do an extension you have to do it two years before they hit FA.You still have a chance to do it one year before FA but by that point there is very little discount.If it didn't happen by let's say this year's trade deadline then the baseball world would have put Hughes on the trade block instead of expecting him to stay with the team longer term.

• Mike Frasier Law likes this

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#15 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:06 AM

The exciting thing to me about this rotation is fans are at the point now where they can talk about the Twins' fifth starter and have a legitimate argument that the pitchers (plural!) that don't make the rotation could be starting for another team.

It's something I'm trying to be carfeul about - I don't want to set my expectations too high. But to me, this is the best transaction of the offseason for the Twins so far. 

• jokin likes this

#16 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• Members
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:06 AM

Yeah, there is a good chance he will regress a bit in terms of peripherals (K%, BB%, and HR%), but his BABIP was actually not that great last year, which could partly or fully counteract the regression in peripherals, especially in 2016 and after, when we (hopefully) have a much better outfield defense anchored by Mr. Buxton. So I definitely really like this deal. Certainly better than the Santana deal which itself was decent.

• Kirby_waved_at_me, jokin and Oldgoat_MN like this

#17 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:08 AM

Jon Heyman ‏@JonHeymanCBS· 13m13 minutes ago Bronx, NY  
phil hughes new $58M/5-yr deal is twins pitching record. also gets limited no trade clause & $1M incentives

Anyone want to  bet that the Yankees are on that no trade list?

You've Gotta Have Heart.  All You Really Need Is Heart.

When the Odds Are Saying "You'll Never Win", That's When The Grin Should Start!

#18 Giles Ferrell

Giles Ferrell

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:08 AM

Great deal. Love that the Twins got out ahead on this one and locked him up with two years left on his existing deal.

• nytwinsfan likes this

Writer over at Wild Xtra. Baseball aficionado. Waiting for the return of the Dome Dog.

#19 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,479 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:09 AM

After this big announcement and the Twins disclosing what they think of Hughes and their intentions, long-term...we now know four more things (at least).

1) Hughes isn't going to be shopped at this year's trading deadline.

2) With three prospects knocking on the major league door, at least two of the current top four SPs are going to be shopped between now and mid-year, 2016.Hughes isn't going to be one of them. (Gibson and Nolasco probably shouldn't put down any serious roots in the community).

3) The Twins continued the staggering of the annual expiration of one of their SP contracts, now out to 2019.

4) From May, Meyer and Berrios, possibly only one could still be around by the end of Hughes' contract.

Edited by jokin, 22 December 2014 - 09:14 AM.

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#20 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:11 AM

Here's the spin on MLB Traderumors:

http://www.mlbtrader...hil-hughes.html

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: phil hughes