Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

How to Fix the Starting Rotation.

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Fanatic Jack

Fanatic Jack

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:19 PM

I have pretty much retired from blogging and leaving negative messages on Twitter that irritates everyone. I really am just enjoying watching the Twins play this season and seeing some of the young talent (Revere, Dozier, Parmelee, & Hendriks) come up from the minors. However, I have to ask all of Twins Daily just one honest question about the starting rotation in 2013. How does GM Terry Ryan plan on fixing it? The Twins minor league farm system is completely depleted when it comes to power arms and capable starting pitchers. The 2011 minor league pitcher of the year was Liam Hendriks and he has looked lost so far in a handful of starts this year. Hendriks has good stuff but at best would develop into a 3 or 4 starter for the Twins when effective. Scott Diamond has been outstanding but for him to be the ace of the staff right now tells you how bad things really are. Diamond figures to be a 4 or 5 starter unless teams start to figure him out. The only other guy that comes to mind is Adrian Salcedo and he has a 5.64 ERA in 22.1 IP at Fort Myers. Salcedo also has a low 5.2 K/9 ratio and that is not very encouraging.

We know the Twins decided to pass on Mark Appel and Kevin Gausman with the #2 overall pick and took Byron Buxton. Perhaps Buxton was the best pick but Appel or Gausman could of helped out the rotation almost immediately. They also drafted in later rounds Berrios, Bard (he won't sign), Melotakis, Chargois, Jones, Duffey, and Martinez. All seven of the above pitchers were relievers in college or high school. They all throw hard but maybe Berrios is the only one with a chance to help out the starting rotation in a few years. Maybe the Twins decide to pay $9.25 million and bring back Scott Baker in 2013. This would be a huge risk considering he just had T.J. surgery. It's possible the Twins offer Francisco Liriano arbitration and he returns for $8 million. This appears to be very unlikely but just throwing it out there. We can assume the 2013 starting rotation will consist of Blackburn, Diamond, Hendriks, and maybe Gibson. This is asking a lot of Kyle Gibson considering he spent little time in Rochester and is not healthy yet.

The last part of this confounding question is free agency. The Twins have never spent big money on free agent pitchers and this is not going to change. They won't open up the vaults and go after potential free agent pitchers like Greinke, Hamels, Shields (if option not picked up) Peavy, or even Edwin Jackson. They would instead prefer to pay retreads like Jason Marquis $3 million and take their chances. It's just impossible to improve the starting rotation next season without massive change. One last point is no way GM Ryan is going to land a top notch starting pitcher using Span, Willingham, Morneau, Doumit, Pavano, and Capps as trade bait. I just don't see a solution to this problem anytime soon.

Edited by Fanatic Jack, 17 June 2012 - 04:24 AM.

#2 PMKI

PMKI

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:26 PM

Bard isn't going to sign?

#3 Fanatic Jack

Fanatic Jack

• Members
  • 257 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:44 PM

PMKI,

Bard has not signed yet and wants to return to Georgia Tech for another year.

#4 PMKI

PMKI

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:06 PM

If he doesn't sign do we get compensation for it in next years draft?

#5 Twins Fan

Twins Fan

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:12 PM

Jack, I hope you keep blogging. I have always enjoyed your podcasts and make it a point to read whatever you put out. You are one of the reasons being a Twins fan is so much fun. You aren't too negative, just realistic. No question about the Twins having to make a lot of hard decisions about the starting rotation. That is why Ryan makes the big bucks.

#6 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,511 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 16 June 2012 - 11:13 PM

The situation indeed seems bleak. But there is the possibility of trading for promising minor league prospects. Or maybe offering Bard enough money that he might reconsider.

#7 peterb18

peterb18

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:35 AM

Fantastic Jack----Great post--You hit it on the head! I've been saying this considerable times on various baseball sites for over the last few years. The only way to get out of this mess is for the Pohlads to "step up to the plate" and sign free agent pitchers. Actually, this could have been done already, but they chose not to. Oh, I disagree that Hendricks has good stuff. Dosen't have a good fastball, throws somewhat 3/4-- which kind of flattens out the ball. Has decent control. They want him to locate the fastball first and then the other pitchers. When you have underwhelming stuff, you then should pitch backwards--constantly. Hopefully, he could develop into a 5th starter. Hope I'm wrong on this!

#8 strumdatjag

strumdatjag

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:06 AM

Shouldn't Scott Baker come back from surgery and become part of the mix, too? The Twins can see the many empty seats in the bleachers in the outfield. They have to know that will spread to the season ticket base next year. They have no choice - They have to sign at least one top of the line starting pitcher (and probably one legitimate middle of rotation guy, in other words something better than Jason Marquis) in free agency next year. They have to stop the bleeding in the season ticket base in the off-season by showing that they are serious in creating at least an adequate rotation. They have a decent lineup and the relief corps looks adequate - This can be a pretty decent team by just adding one or two starters in free agency.

#9 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 07:41 AM

Starting pitching is such a crapshoot it's not hard to understand why the Twins are reluctant to spend big dollars on a free agent starter. Look at guys like Tim Lincecum and Roy Halladay who have dropped dramatically this year. Then there is RA Dickey and Lance Lynn who may be your two front runners for Cy Young in the NL. When you factor in the injury rate, spending big money on starting pitching can be an expensive gamble. There are probably 15 true number 1 pitchers in baseball. If you are not going to get one of them, I wouldn't spend more than $7-9 million on a multi year contract for a free agent starter, and would not go longer than 3 years for any starter period. One year, high dollar contracts can work as your risk is mitigated.

Edited by Fire Dan Gladden, 17 June 2012 - 07:43 AM.

#10 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:04 AM

This list is from baseball prospectus.com. I deleted anyone with a club option as I figured if they were any good the club would pick up the option. If they are injured and the club doesn't pick up the option I figured the likelihood of them helping for the whole year was small. 16 pitchers, how many teams actually competing for the services? The price would be high.
Joe Blanton
Matt Cain
Kevin Correia
Zack Greinke
Jeremy Guthrie
Cole Hamels
Colby Lewis
Francisco Liriano
Kyle Lohse
Derek Lowe
Shaun Marcum
Daisuke Matsuzaka
Brandon McCarthy
Carl Pavano
Anibal Sanchez
Jonathan Sanchez
Joe Saunders

I would have to figure the best way for the Twins for immediate help would be through trade. They would have to hope that some team is enamored with one of the Twins prospects to overpay. Trading veterans at the trade deadline might bring prospects for 2014. Nothing sure.
I think the list was before the season started.

Edited by old nurse, 17 June 2012 - 08:20 AM.
new info

#11 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:15 AM

@oldnurse Matt Cain received an extension. If I remember it was the largest deal ever for a RHP.

#12 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:19 AM

If he doesn't sign do we get compensation for it in next years draft?

I don't think the rule changed. For the first two rounds if your player does not sign then you get that slot plus one. As there will not be as many compensatory picks I don't know if it means the Twins would get the 43 pick, or a pick before the 2 round starts. I thought when the selected Bard it might be so if he signed, great. If he did not, they could use the money to entice a lower round pick they liked. Slot value was 1.2 million.That could be a better bonus than the player might otherwise get.

#13 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:30 AM

I don't think the rule changed. For the first two rounds if your player does not sign then you get that slot plus one. As there will not be as many compensatory picks I don't know if it means the Twins would get the 43 pick, or a pick before the 2 round starts. I thought when the selected Bard it might be so if he signed, great. If he did not, they could use the money to entice a lower round pick they liked. Slot value was 1.2 million.That could be a better bonus than the player might otherwise get.

One problem with that is that if Bard doesn't sign, they can't reallocate that slot money elsewhere - it just disappears.

#14 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:54 AM

If it comes down to money, Bard will sign. Next year's draft class is deeper. He will go later in the draft. This may also be a reason for the Twins to be firm if they still get a comp pick. It will probably be a better prospect. I don't think the rotation can be fixed by free agency. It is very unlikely a top free agent will consider signing with the Twins. The Twins would have to overlay in both years and dollars. They can't risk another bad prospect. The way out of thehole is with the development and acquisition of prospects. I understand that more budget money is devoted to development this year. I hope it pays off.

#15 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:23 AM

I see 3 pitchers on that list for Twins to target. I am guessing on the money needed to sign the pitcher. Colby Lewis 3 year 21-24 million? Pavano if healthy 1 year 5 million plus incentives to 8 million plus option for 2nd year if he pitches 210 innings? Joe Saunders2 year 12-15 million. I don't know the extent of Pavano's injury but i suspect if he can throw the ball 88mph or better he can get a contract Saunders was offered a 2 year 12 million contract at one point and had to settle for one. He is a #4 starter that can throw 190-200 innings. Lewis is a number 3 starter who can do the same. I am hoping the Twins sign Greinke and one of the 3 above. Another cheap starter is Milwood. There will be others like him next year.

#16 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:53 AM

I like to dream as much as the next guy, but isn't Greinke just that - a dream? We're not gonna sign him. He's making 13.5M this year, and there is nothing in his performance this year to suggest he'll have to take a paycut. Somebody will give him a big-money, long-term deal. And even if the Twins (foolishly) tried to compete salary-wise, why would he come here? If I had spent my entire career playing for Kansas City & Milwaukee, I'd be wanting to play for a contender on my next deal. That's not the Twins.

#17 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:36 AM

On bringing back Scott Baker: I'd do it. Why? Because Baker, unlike Francisco Liriano, already knows how to pitch. Even if Baker has to conserve his repaired arm, he's still got good balance and a clean delivery. He'll throw strikes when he gets back, because he starts and finishes on balance. Now, like a lot of major league pitchers, Baker generates too much power with his arm, which caused it to fall off. He's going to have to learn to generate power with his legs, torso, shoulders and rhythm, then just flip the ball from the shoulder up. Pitchers with an "easy motion" have been doing that forever. Think Jim Palmer. Baker's motion had an unfortunate late cranking action where he torqued on his forearm, trying to generate speed late in the motion. You can do it, but eventually it will damage soft tissues in your elbow and rotator cuff. When Baker gets back, I'll look to see if his motion seems easier on his arm. If so, he's got a future. If not, he'll have a year or two before he retires with more damage. He should model his comeback after Jake Peavy, a guy that used to throw like Baker, and now he's got a new career throwing a little softer.

#18 powrwrap

powrwrap

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:09 AM

The last part of this confounding question is free agency. The Twins have never spent big money on free agent pitchers and this is not going to change.

Jack Morris.

They won't open up the vaults and go after potential free agent pitchers like Greinke, Hamels, Shields (if option not picked up) Peavy, or even Edwin Jackson. They would instead prefer to pay retreads like Jason Marquis $3 million and take their chances. It's just impossible to improve the starting rotation next season without massive change. One last point is no way GM Ryan is going to land a top notch starting pitcher using Span, Willingham, Morneau, Doumit, Pavano, and Capps as trade bait. I just don't see a solution to this problem anytime soon.

The solution is free agents. The Twins MUST sign a free agent starter or two. They'll have to do so in order to sell season tickets and bring fans back to Target Field.

Old Nurse posted a nice list. Pick two decent guys off the list. Shawn Marcum is solid. So is Colby Lewis or Anibal Sanchez. Re-sign Scott Baker. Stick Kyle Gibson in the rotation.
[FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#000000]"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." [/COLOR][/FONT]

#19 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 911 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:13 AM

You have to sign and develop prospects. This is probably a 3- 4 year fix. Outside of Colby Lewis who could benefit from Target Field most of the pitchers mentioned will command more dollars than the Twins will spend. Baker is a good point if you can sign him to a 2 - 3 year incentive laden deal, 2 years club option for 3. I agree with the person who commented that none of the Twins trade chips will bring a front line starting pitcher or prospects. Except may be Span if a club close to the trading deadline is desperate enough. (Contender or playoff team with an outfield hole due to injury). Twins still need 2 - 3 starting pitchers, they will be expensive

#20 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 1,192 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:15 AM

Baker will more than likely be cut, because he has the option year bargaining chip. Then it becomes anything goes. Who is the first person to offer him a multi-year contract at what price. If the Twins could sign him for 2-years for $10 mil and an option year, I might say yes. If Pavano can pitch, he might be worth an option with incentives. Will be interesting to see if he does end up anywheres comes August. You can put a lot of $$$ into a first class starter if (A) He wants to come here which means (B) You better have an overall competitive team on paper. I don't see that happening. This was the year the Twins needed to invest, perhaps, another $20 million and if were right, could've would've competed in the division (weak division) except no one, and I mean no one expected the starting staff to fall to shambles. Would they be better with Francis o Maholm or any of he other names bandied around? If they had purchased just one $15-2o million star player for this year, would he be making a difference right now? Interesting about Bard. I don't see him going high (the Twins seem to have taken a high gamble on him, classified mainly as a reliever). It would fascinating to ead a story about what goes on in the minds of draftees sometimes.

#21 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 12:56 PM

I don't think they will fix it. Willingham is their biggest FA signing ever, that kind of money isn't going to buy you legit starting pitchers. I figure the rotation next year to be Gibson, Hendriks, Diamond, Blackburn, awful pitcher they sign on the cheap. That's a pretty bad rotation, imo. Baker would have been re-signed, had the surgery not turned out to be full Tommy John. Now, who knows?

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#22 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,165 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:02 PM

Fixing the starting rotation has to be done on two fronts. AND... Fixing the starting rotation must be done. In my opinion...The Two Fronts are this: Top End Starters and More options. It's easy to sit back and say... Here's 5 guys... The rotation is set. However... Pitchers get hurt too often... You need Multiple arms with the ability to keep you in ball games. This is where the Twins scare me. We don't have enough quality in the majors right now and even worse we don't have any quality in AAA and AA right now... It's a scary situation and we need to trade for them. Terry Ryan can come up with 5 guys who can throw... MAYBE... but who is the 6th guy and the 7th guy or the 8th guy. We need young AAA guys who can be those guys. When it comes to Top End guys... Well that's a little harder to do but we need a couple at least. The only thing that I can think of is this... Next Year... Start fresh... Let every current Twins Pitcher expiring contract expire. 28 million will come of the books. Take that Money and spend it on one Top Line free Agent Pitcher. It might take 6 years and 20 million to land that guy... Who knows... but roll the dice and do it... We don't have much choice. Multiple years... Big Money and understand that he will be anchoring a pretty rough staff for a couple of years. Trade Span for a top line young pitcher. If Span alone won't get that guy... Package him with someone. Don't acquire some guy who is in Single A... Make sure he is AA or higher so he can join our Free Agent Guy in the rotation sooner... Rather than later... Shoot for a Banulos or Betences, Skaggs or Bradley, Teheren or Delgado, Trevor May, Zach Wheeler. These pitches are tough gets but if you have to sacrifice offense to get them... Do it... We need Top of the Rotation Arms... We don't have any... And this is will put our team in a tailspin in future years. For the rest of the rotation... It's audition time... Sign Rule 5's and take a chance. Look for Potential anywhere and go for it. Trade Capps for it... Trade Morneau for it... Keep throwing guys out there and see if any more Scott Diamonds show up... Hand them the ball... Work with them and hope that you get lucky but do whatever you can to find replacements if they fail. A highly rated guy like Hendricks and Gibson should be allowed to work out his kinks... Be patient with them. Not so patient with the guys who are not as highly thought of. Something kinda important in my opinion. For a while... forget about offense... Focus on Defense... Defense will help these pitchers get the job done. Bad Defense will raise your ERA and deflate confidence. I don't care if they can't hit... Can they run and catch. Make the routine play and the amazing play. Once the Pitching starts to look like it's heading the right direction. Maybe Sano and Hicks and Buxton will be ready and in uniform to fill the offense back in after we have neglected it for a little while. For God's sake... Let's not let Blackburn and Pavano types block rotation spots for younger kids who can help us down the road. Let's start fresh and run as fast we can. I should also point out... That everything I posted here... Is next to impossible. Well not impossible but real real hard. Any Free Agent signing can get hurt and be worth nothing. Any Highly rated prospect acquired in a trade can crap out. I just think that Pitching needs to be hyper focused on. It's the main reason I was a little disapointed with the draft of Buxton. I hope Buxton ends up a superstar and I understand drafting BPA so I'm not totally against it. I was just hoping for a little quicker Pitching Help... I'll be bummed if Zimmer or Gausman or Appel are pitching lights out in the majors next year or the year after that and Buxton is looking like Hicks in Ft. Myers.

Edited by Riverbrian, 17 June 2012 - 05:13 PM.

#23 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:14 PM

After long and careful consideration, I think the best option we have is to find a pair of ruby slippers, close our eyes, tap them together three times, and say "The rotation doesn't suck...the rotation doesn't suck...the rotation doesn't suck..."

#24 twinzgrl

twinzgrl

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:43 PM

The Twins might find capable starting pitching. I don't really care who they trade or what they pay....but it MUST be done if they hope to become relevant again and keep fans interested.

#25 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,564 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:48 PM

I have to ask all of Twins Daily just one honest question about the starting rotation in 2013. How does GM Terry Ryan plan on fixing it? .

Unfortunately, I do not think that the interim GM, Terry Ryan can fix this mess. Hopefully, there will be a non-interim GM named from outside the organization soon. And I hope that the new GM overhauls "player development" (i.e. the minors)

This is the man who signed Marquis (to release him) and re-signed Capps to a better than marker-rate contract and lost a pick (or two) in the process. Ryan does not know how to operate with a $100M budget.

Free agency is not the answer to everything. You cannot just overspend on FA pitchers. I think that as far as the 2013 rotation goes, Diamond might be a decent #4-5 guy and Hendriks could be a decent #3-4 guy. That's all they have. Gibson is a ? and I would be fine if they give him the #5 spot just to figure it out. They need to find a home for Blackburn (maybe in the pen and hope for a Perkins-like re-birth.)

I think they got to trade. And Span and Morneau and everyone else who makes more than minimum or is older than 30 (that's Burton) should be game. The Philies have a guy names Tyler Cloyd who just got to AAA this year but is the real thing. Also they gave up on Domonic Brown. I think that a package around Span plus some others (Hicks? - he is redundant now with Buxton) might pull those 2 and you got your RF in Brown as well for next season. Then try to see if you can find another arm by trading Morneau to someplace like Toronto.

Not sure that Ryan is the man who can do that though...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#26 twinswon1991

twinswon1991

• Members
  • 256 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

Unfortunately, I do not think that the interim GM, Terry Ryan can fix this mess. Hopefully, there will be a non-interim GM named from outside the organization soon. And I hope that the new GM overhauls "player development" (i.e. the minors)

This is the man who signed Marquis (to release him) and re-signed Capps to a better than marker-rate contract and lost a pick (or two) in the process. Ryan does not know how to operate with a $100M budget.

Free agency is not the answer to everything. You cannot just overspend on FA pitchers. I think that as far as the 2013 rotation goes, Diamond might be a decent #4-5 guy and Hendriks could be a decent #3-4 guy. That's all they have. Gibson is a ? and I would be fine if they give him the #5 spot just to figure it out. They need to find a home for Blackburn (maybe in the pen and hope for a Perkins-like re-birth.)

I think they got to trade. And Span and Morneau and everyone else who makes more than minimum or is older than 30 (that's Burton) should be game. The Philies have a guy names Tyler Cloyd who just got to AAA this year but is the real thing. Also they gave up on Domonic Brown. I think that a package around Span plus some others (Hicks? - he is redundant now with Buxton) might pull those 2 and you got your RF in Brown as well for next season. Then try to see if you can find another arm by trading Morneau to someplace like Toronto.

Not sure that Ryan is the man who can do that though...

Great post. Ryan has proved since he returned that he cannot get it done and he is NOT willing to make the tough decisions that need to be made (firing the medical staff, overhaul minor league devolopment, and overhaul scouting). Right now the best we can hope for is that Ryan will come to his senses and trade all the vets for pitching prospects to build towards 2015. I think Ryan is just too stupid to realize this team has been the WORST in baseball for 2 full calendar years now and he thinks there is still a glimmer of hope they can compete...

#27 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 09:13 PM

While I don't see Ryan signing big time FAs, and I don't see him trading prospects for big time starters, I would never call him stupid. He's a very bright man.

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#28 Falcon25

Falcon25

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 10:07 PM

Fantastic Jack----Great post--You hit it on the head! I've been saying this considerable times on various baseball sites for over the last few years. The only way to get out of this mess is for the Pohlads to "step up to the plate" and sign free agent pitchers. Actually, this could have been done already, but they chose not to. Oh, I disagree that Hendricks has good stuff. Dosen't have a good fastball, throws somewhat 3/4-- which kind of flattens out the ball. Has decent control. They want him to locate the fastball first and then the other pitchers. When you have underwhelming stuff, you then should pitch backwards--constantly. Hopefully, he could develop into a 5th starter. Hope I'm wrong on this!

Hendriks (he has no 'c' in his surname) according to the twins catchers has good sink on both his two seam and four seam fastballs. You could be right that when he drops his arm a fraction that it doesn't get the usual tail. that doesn't mean he hasn't got it, it means he has to become more consistent. If he has underwhelming stuff does that mean that Fiers (who threw a great game) is even more underwhelming as he averaged 2mph less than Hendriks!!!! Both batters struck out 5 although Fiers did it in 7 innings and Hendriks in 5. There is no doubt that Fiers was in control of the game and realistically, Hendriks gained his control after the second consecutive home run in the third even though he still missed too many first pitch strikes. His only blemish after this was Brauns second home run and lets be honest he shouldn't have been there to hit after the dropped catch.

#29 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:47 PM

Jack Morris.

[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#222222][FONT=Verdana]

The solution is free agents. The Twins MUST sign a free agent starter or two. They'll have to do so in order to sell season tickets and bring fans back to Target Field.

Old Nurse posted a nice list. Pick two decent guys off the list. Shawn Marcum is solid. So is Colby Lewis or Anibal Sanchez. Re-sign Scott Baker. Stick Kyle Gibson in the rotation.

You use Jack Morris as a sign that the Twins will sign top FA pitchers? 21 years does not a current reference make...

(By the way, Morris was 36 yrs old and coming off 2 very subpar seasons. Hardly a top FA signing)

#30 powrwrap

powrwrap

• Members
  • 451 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:17 PM

You use Jack Morris as a sign that the Twins will sign top FA pitchers? 21 years does not a current reference make...

It was the last time that the Twins had decent attendance figures and spare revenues. Same as today. Let's not forget that the Twins signed Puckett, Hrbek, Knoblauch to lucrative contracts when they were free agents. Also signed Radke, Morneau, Mauer before they could test the waters. In the era of Target Field (and no Carl Pohlad) this idea that the Twins won't put out the money for big name free agents is no longer true.

(By the way, Morris was 36 yrs old and coming off 2 very subpar seasons. Hardly a top FA signing)

What other big name pitchers were out there? Mark Davis? Anybody else? I'd say Morris was one of the top FA pitchers available. Wasn't Morris' salary one of the top salaries of 1991?

Found it: While the contract was for just one year, the Twins did make Morris the second-highest-paid player in the AL that season.
http://sports.espn.g...ntracts/MLBbest

Edited by powrwrap, 18 June 2012 - 08:25 PM.

[FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#000000]"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." [/COLOR][/FONT]