Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: White Sox Winning Winter Meetings Through Day 1

jeff samardzija chris colabello david robertson
  • This topic is locked This topic is locked
276 replies to this topic

#21 Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil

• Members
  • 738 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:42 AM

The one move that is the lowest hanging fruit for this team would be to sign/trade for an ace starting pitcher. Having a solid 1-2 punch at the top of the rotation solves a lot of problems and takes pressure off of other areas of the team.. (Viola/Blyleven, Johnson/Schilling.......etc) But, I'm thinking it will probably be another disappointing offseason with some token vanilla moves.

Credited with fixing Buxton's swing June 29, 2017.

#22 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:42 AM

Hahn certainly had an impressive off-season last year. Looks like he's going out for an encore.

Semien, from what I can tell by reading the reports, is perhaps comparable to Jorge Polanco at best. Bassitt had a very nice AFL, but probably compares to Tonkin, or Zack Jones maybe. Both rank among the Whities top 10 prospects. It's of course impossible to know right now, but given Shark's contract status, this might be a bad trade for both sides. :)

#23 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:46 AM

I'm humored by the pre-judging of Ryan after one day of the winter meetings. If one was to put stock in what's been discussed so far, Ryan is clearly not serious. Also, he's talking to all the wrong agents. Besides that, he's pretty much just sitting on his hands while the rest of the division passes him by.

• brvama likes this

#24 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,521 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:47 AM

Sox still need a 3rd Base,

Gilaspie- 27 years old, OPS+ 113 Slash .282/.336/.416/.752 (not even Arb eligible until 2016)

Plouffe- 28 years old  OPS+ 110 Slash .258/.328/.423/.751

• h2oface likes this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#25 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,521 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:48 AM

I'm humored by the pre-judging of Ryan after one day of the winter meetings. If one was to put stock in what's been discussed so far, Ryan is clearly not serious. Also, he's talking to all the wrong agents. Besides that, he's pretty much just sitting on his hands while the rest of the division passes him by.

There's talkin' a good game, and then there's what the Sox are doing.

• Monkeypaws and Sconnie like this

Joyous, fact-based and tireless Twins fan for 40+ years, who unfortunately has been characterized as-

"forcing Twins fans to endure more bitter, baseless, and tiresome cheap shots about the Twins FO."

#26 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,521 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:50 AM

Hahn certainly had an impressive off-season last year. Looks like he's going out for an encore.

Semien, from what I can tell by reading the reports, is perhaps comparable to Jorge Polanco at best. Bassitt had a very nice AFL, but probably compares to Tonkin, or Zack Jones maybe. Both rank among the Whities top 10 prospects. It's of course impossible to know right now, but given Shark's contract status, this might be a bad trade for both sides. :)

Or there's a Third Way-  continually playing for a Tomorrow that never comes  (and along the way, signing some aged "fan favorites" for Fan Mollification purposes)

• Sconnie likes this

#27 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,693 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:52 AM

So this makes the Twins glass half full? Shark should be judged on his last 3 years, plus playing for the hapless Cubs in Wrigley.If you assume the last 3 years are his true performance range, he's practically at 9 in K/9 with a .241 BA, plus you can pencil in 200 innings with a 3.29 FIP

I think that is a big assumption.I guess my point is, why not just sign Lester, Scherzer, or Shields?All have better career numbers and you keep the prospects.They either get Jeff S. for one year or they sign him to a deal that is a huge risk IMO.He has been good for 2-3 years tops.All in the NL for the most part.With an ERA + that is 1% better than league average.

And we don't know who the other prospect is.Their system is not ranked that great, but their top five is not shabby.Rodon is 1.They have a young SS at 2 that had an OPS over .800 in three league last year (17th pick in 2013).#3 is a starter that throws 100 and had an ERA of 1.44 last year.#5 is their first rounder in 2012 with some power. 

#28 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,521 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:56 AM

I think that the White Sox have definitely put themselves on pace with, and if the Tigers don't sign Scherzer, they should be the favorite...

Yeah, the Twins are back to being the little engine that could... and as I said coming into the Winter Meetings, that's probably OK. I think they need to let young guys play... I'd just like to see them be competitive in 2015.

I'm tired of all the losses. 

As Berardino pointed out, with the 19 game intra-division schedule, over the last two years, the Twins only had a strong and winning record against the Sox, they were the one team in the division which helped mask the Twins overall futility.  With all of these quality Sox upgrade moves, an additional 5-7 Twins losses is not out of the realm of possibilities, either directly against the Sox, or from the spillover attrition effect after playing the Sox in close games that used to be Twins blowouts.

Edited by jokin, 09 December 2014 - 10:19 AM.

#29 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,521 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 08:58 AM

I think that is a big assumption.  

Not assuming anything, but that's exactly what he's done over the last 3 years, mostly with a very, very bad team.

#30 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 16,359 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:03 AM

My assumption is that the White Sox will lock up Samardzija after the trade, or the trade may even be contingent upon letting the Sox and Shark work out a long-term agreement.

#31 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,693 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:03 AM

I think that the White Sox have definitely put themselves on pace with, and if the Tigers don't sign Scherzer, they should be the favorite...

Yeah, the Twins are back to being the little engine that could... and as I said coming into the Winter Meetings, that's probably OK. I think they need to let young guys play... I'd just like to see them be competitive in 2015. I'm tired of all the losses. 

The Sox won 73 games last year with two primary closers. One with an ERA of 1.96 and the other 2.96 (Putnam and Petricka). Both better than Robertson's 3.08.

Even if Jeff S. has a year like the last two, how are they going to win 88 games?I expect regression out of Abreu as well. 

• birdwatcher likes this

#32 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,521 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:05 AM

And we don't know who the other prospect is.Their system is not ranked that great, but their top five is not shabby.Rodon is 1.They have a young SS at 2 that had an OPS over .800 in three league last year (17th pick in 2013).#3 is a starter that throws 100 and had an ERA of 1.44 last year.#5 is their first rounder in 2012 with some power. 

I'm betting the A's don't get any of the Top Four, at least.  They likely aren't getting Rodon, Anderson, Montas or Johnson.  

#33 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,521 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:06 AM

The Sox won 73 games last year with two primary closers. One with an ERA of 1.96 and the other 2.96 (Putnam and Petricka). Both better than Robertson's 3.08.

Even if Jeff S. has a year like the last two, how are they going to win 88 games?  I expect regression out of Abreu as well. 

maybe, but now he has LaRoche for plate protection.

#34 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,521 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:07 AM

Even if Jeff S. has a year like the last two, how are they going to win 88 games?I expect regression out of Abreu as well. 

So adding a guy to their mix of Putnam, Petricka and Duke, from the pressure cooker in New York, plus following Mariano Rivera, is a bad thing?

• Danchat likes this

#35 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,693 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:09 AM

So adding a guy to their mix of Putnam, Petricka and Duke, from the pressure cooker in New York, plus following Mariano Rivera, is a bad thing?

Not a bad thing.But they will have the same production out of the closer. So I am not adding any wins here, certainly not multiple wins.

• birdwatcher likes this

#36 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,693 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:14 AM

maybe, but now he has LaRoche for plate protection.

Cespedes had an OPS of .861 in the first year..737 and .751 the next two.

Puig's OPS went from .925 to .863.When the tape is out on these guys they regress.That regression will hurt the White Sox way more than a 35 year old Adam Larcoche (career .811 OPS).He is a bad defender too, not sure if they will DH him.

Edited by tobi0040, 09 December 2014 - 09:14 AM.

• birdwatcher likes this

#37 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• Twins Mods
  • 12,475 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:15 AM

Frankly, it’s not a bidding war I would want to get into. His ERA+ in 2013 was 110, in 2012 it was 79, in 2011, it was 122, in 2010 it was 84 and in 2009 it was 94. That’s not the kind of guy you get into a bidding war over.

Actually, looking at that pattern it apears like a great time to buy low on him in an odd numbered year.He seems to enjoy those.

Edited by nicksaviking, 09 December 2014 - 09:15 AM.

#38 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2019

• Members
  • 9,619 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:17 AM

I would not call them quite "winners" yet.I am not sure how I would felt if the Twins traded Kyle Gibson and Jorge Polanco for a season (or half) of Samardzija.Because that's practically what the WSux did, only Marcus Semien is maybe more MLB-ready than Polanco and Chriss Bassit is under more years of club control than Gibson.

As far as Robertson goes,I love that move.He reminds me of a certain closer. Robertson 2014: 4-5, 3.08 ERA, 39 saves, 2.68 FIP.Matt Capps 2010: 5-3, 2.47 ERA, 42 saves, 3.22 FIP.   Paying top $ for an "established closer" while you can put a failed starter who did not quite reach his potential in the position (Nathan and Perkins are examples) is silly.I think that the Twins should trade Perkins, since the market for closers has become nutty and try Pelf there.

So it is kinda business as usual for the WSox:They overspend, they do not quite make it and then they burn it up and startagain.  Winners?Nah. That's as much their MO, as dumpster diving is TR's

Edited by Thrylos, 09 December 2014 - 09:18 AM.

• TheLeviathan, SD Buhr, tobi0040 and 1 other like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#39 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:18 AM

Gilaspie- 27 years old, OPS+ 113 Slash .282/.336/.416/.752 (not even Arb eligible until 2016)

Plouffe- 28 years old  OPS+ 110 Slash .258/.328/.423/.751

Plouffe also had twice as many homers and hit 40 doubles. Plouffe had a 3.9 WAR to Gillaspie's 1.5.

Gillaspie hits well enough, but his defense is not so hot. Maybe he turns it into a strength as Plouffe did in 2014 - but I think they are not as close as their triple slash makes them out to be.

The White Sox have been actively looking to replace Gillaspie this off-season, they've been linked to Sandoval and are rumored to be after Headley as well.

• h2oface and PseudoSABR like this

#40 birdwatcher

birdwatcher

• Members
  • 3,502 posts

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:20 AM

The Twins missed on Abreu last year. and LaRoche was a better bat addition than the Twins made this year.The Twins don't have an Ace, the Sox now have an Ace and a Half-and Quintana in 2014 was pretty close in performance to Sale and Shark.If Rodon has a big splash debut, they have 4 imposing pieces in the rotation.The Sox don't have the Twins farm system, but most of their young guys are already on the roster, with a few Top 100 infielders and a few more arms knocking on the door.

The Whities have "a few" Top 100 infielders? Tim Anderson for sure, but now find me two others that are in this category, jokin. And if you're counting Shark on the CWS side of the ledger, it's only fair to subtract Semien. 

Not to take away from what CWS is accomplishing. I think Hahn is doing a nice job of creating a formidable big league team in very short order, although I question whether he can build a sustainable level of excellence absent either a further resurgence of the farm system beyond two elite prospects or further aggressive spending in FA markets.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: jeff samardzija, chris colabello, david robertson