Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Steve Pearce

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:40 PM

in the last week, Scranton's 1B Steve Pearce was purchased by BALT and has been starting in the OF. For those that remember,the 1B/3B/OF Pearce was released this spring by MN who instead traded for Matt Rizzotti (deomoted to AA) & kept Aaron Bates (released) to play 1B. Once a highly regarded prospect/former big leaguer (unlike Rizzotti & Bates), he hit .321/.422/.574 in 52gms (190ABs) w/11 HR 30 RBI & 37 runs scored in AAA. Does anyone else feel this kind of move/player evaluation is a general reason why this team's minor league system/general team diesction has been so poor?

#2 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 03:49 PM

Clearly that was a mistake, based on ST performance once again. He also got injured . . . so I am not sure why they released him. They ended up doing terrible things like signing Clete Thomas and Joe Thurston, for crying out loud.

#3 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 04:21 PM

Meh. I'm not going to worry about someone like Steve Pearce. He was injured. There are rumors of behind-the-scenes things. The Twins did very well, in general, with their minor league signings.

#4 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:09 PM

I disagree.....he was injured, no doubt. They decided to go with Bates and keep the guy they had for a year over the guy who was obviously more talented & had major league ability. I assume, from Seth's quote, that Pearce may have been unhappy with the team not allowing him a shot to make the MLB team...over Parmelee/Burroughs. Though he was injured....he also had a track record that should have gotten him to AAA. Maybe he didnt fit the Twins thought process of knowing your role & keeping your mouth shut. Absolutey was an incorrect move. Some minor league signings were very good.....some like this very bad.

#5 whydidnt

whydidnt

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:16 PM

I never understood why they cut him and then traded for Rizzotto. Neither would be consider much of a prospect, but Pearce seemed to have a much better track record. I always thought maybe there was some sort of pre agreement that they would let him go if he didn't make the team out of camp or something. I don't understand why you would let a more talented guy go because of a minor injury. He did have a nice game the other night but I doubt he's ever going to turn into a much of a contributor anyway. The Twins do seem particularly sensitive to a players perceivd attitude in my opinion though.

#6 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,384 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 15 June 2012 - 05:41 PM

Meh. I'm not going to worry about someone like Steve Pearce. He was injured. There are rumors of behind-the-scenes things.

yes and yes
and interestingly enough, some of if was not behind the scenes. A whole bunch of people, including me, witnessed him being an #%$#$#$%$# to a teammate while both were sitting in the dugout during Spring Training (Late March in a AAA game). Totally uncool. He was let go 2 days after that.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#7 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,252 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 15 June 2012 - 06:12 PM

After the Twins cut him, he was signed by the Yanks. On June 2, it says, New York sold his contract to Baltimore. That seems very odd, between divisional rivals. Kind of a courtesy move, more like what you'd do for a last place team in the opposite league that needed a spare part, that I can't envision happening between Detroit and Cleveland for instance. And Baltimore's not even a cellar dweller this year.

#8 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 07:07 PM

yes and yes
and interestingly enough, some of if was not behind the scenes. A whole bunch of people, including me, witnessed him being an #%$#$#$%$# to a teammate while both were sitting in the dugout during Spring Training (Late March in a AAA game). Totally uncool. He was let go 2 days after that.

care to elaborate any more???

Many vet players have opt out clauses of around June 1st.....no idea on Pearce, but maybe the Yanks were gonna lose him & took the cash instead of nothing.