Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Oliveros promoted

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:49 PM

As per Gardenhire, Lester Oliveros will be joining the Twins roster. A corresponding move will be announced after the results of Walters' MRI are known. Gardy did not look happy during the interview. He says there was no advance warning Walters was hurting.

#2 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:58 PM

That would be the first move before the game tomorrow after the MRI result. Then I would guess that manship goes when Hendricks comes up for Saturday.

#3 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 09:59 PM

That would be the first move before the game tomorrow after the MRI result. Then I would guess that manship goes when Hendricks comes up for Saturday.

Or they send Parmelee down and go back to a 13-man pitching staff.

#4 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:06 PM

Not with us headed for the NL parks. They will need the bench.

#5 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,484 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:25 PM

Gardy did not look happy during the interview. He says there was no advance warning Walters was hurting.

This is from the Twins OFFICIAL website: "Walters told the training staff he had trouble getting loose before the game and that his shoulder was bothering him."

Here is the link: http://minnesota.twi...ok_min&c_id=min

So maybe the training staff failed to inform anyone? If so, then someone needs to be punished for this.

#6 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:32 PM

Oliveras up....Manship down or what the move should be is Gray DFAd but the front office doesnt have the balls Hendricks up.....Walters DL....or vice verse need Parmelee for NL gms next wk.

#7 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:51 PM

Gray had the best outing today. He isn't flashy but he doesn't suck. He hasn't lost a game for us either. He pitches well in tight spots. I don't get what peoples problem is with him. Excited for Oliveros to be up. He will be closing by next season

#8 TwinsGuy55422

TwinsGuy55422

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:23 PM

Good for Oliveros. I hope he pitches well and can stay up with the team for a while.
[FONT=century gothic][SIZE=4][COLOR=#FF0000][SIZE=5]Twins[/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE=5][COLOR=#000080]Guy[/COLOR][COLOR=#FF0000]55422
[SIZE=3][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000][SIZE=3]"And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"[/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

#9 Mauerzy4Prez

Mauerzy4Prez

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:47 AM

This is from the Twins OFFICIAL website: "Walters told the training staff he had trouble getting loose before the game and that his shoulder was bothering him."

Here is the link: http://minnesota.twi...ok_min&c_id=min

So maybe the training staff failed to inform anyone? If so, then someone needs to be punished for this.

Who has the responsibility of holding this training staff accountable for their mistakes? The fact that Walters expressed his concerns before taking the mound and that no body on the staff felt it necessary to alert Gardy of this is not good. I would think that their main job is to listen to what the players are telling them and keep the Manager informed on all issues. They have the obligation to keep these guys healthy and somebody did Walters a GREAT disservice last night.

#10 Higuys

Higuys

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:04 AM

How long is it gan take to get Anthony Slama promoted!?!

#11 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,513 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:13 AM

Who has the responsibility of holding this training staff accountable for their mistakes? The fact that Walters expressed his concerns before taking the mound and that no body on the staff felt it necessary to alert Gardy of this is not good. I would think that their main job is to listen to what the players are telling them and keep the Manager informed on all issues. They have the obligation to keep these guys healthy and somebody did Walters a GREAT disservice last night.

and did the team a great disservice as well.

The only person who says he was not informed was Gardy. And we know Gardy never lies. (see: public vote of confidence on both Nathan and Capps as closers -"Nathan is my closer"- last season days before they were removed as closers.) And given that Andy is around the pen sessions of the starters before the game, I suspect that at least he knew also.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#12 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,513 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:14 AM

How long is it gan take to get Anthony Slama promoted!?!

He is on the DL right now
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#13 Mauerzy4Prez

Mauerzy4Prez

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:22 AM

and did the team a great disservice as well.

The only person who says he was not informed was Gardy. And we know Gardy never lies. (see: public vote of confidence on both Nathan and Capps as closers -"Nathan is my closer"- last season days before they were removed as closers.) And given that Andy is around the pen sessions of the starters before the game, I suspect that at least he knew also.

I actually believe Gardy on this one Thrylos... and while I see your point regarding the Nathan and Capps ordeal, wasn't the reason Nathan got removed is because he went to Gardy on his own and basically shut him self down? I believe that was the way it got reported last year. Nathan,,, after numerous issues with injuries and poor appearances, went to Gardy and said that he didn't have the "stuff" to be closing at the time and took himself out of that role.

I do agree with you that somebody did him a major disservice last night, and from the last few starts prior to last night, I'd be willing to bet Walters had expressed his "shoulder stiffness" a while ago and it still went unreported. I mean cooooome on, my high school football trainer could have done a better job keeping these players healthy, and she doubled as a gym teacher!!! (no offense to Gym teachers out there :) )

#14 Mauerzy4Prez

Mauerzy4Prez

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:22 AM

He is on the DL right now

I thought so too! I actually just went to mlb.com and the twins website to try and back up the fact that he is on the DL and couldn't find anything... do you know what happened to him?

#15 SweetOne69

SweetOne69

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:29 AM

The 1st move will be Walters to the DL. When the recall Hendricks to pitch Saturday (or Sunday when tonight's game gets rained out) the won't send down Manship as he probably will be starting next Saturday. They will probably send Oliveras back down after Friday's game.

#16 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:48 AM

I must admit I was surprised in the post-game interview when Gardy said he had no advance warning. I'm not going to say he was not truthful, but it did appear to me watching the game that he came out of the dugout pretty quickly after the first few batters. Don't you normally send out the pitching coach first, to settle things down and feel out the situation? And Manship was up and warming up even before Gardy got to the mound - at least that's the way it looked on TV. I also have to wonder, given what happened with Blackburn earlier, does anybody on the pitching staff really think they can get away with pitching injured without telling anyone? Wouldn't you have thought that, after that incident, they would sit their starters down and tell them in no uncertain terms, "Let us know if there's a problem warming up?" That's what I would have done.

Edited by IdahoPilgrim, 14 June 2012 - 08:01 AM.

#17 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:58 AM

I thought so too! I actually just went to mlb.com and the twins website to try and back up the fact that he is on the DL and couldn't find anything... do you know what happened to him?

Slama's on the minor league 7-day DL, so he wouldn't show up on the MLB site. Technically, I think he can be called up and play since he isn't on the major league DL (anyone know this either way?), but the point is he is injured - bruised leg. Until that's healed, he's not pitching anywhere.

#18 Mauerzy4Prez

Mauerzy4Prez

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

Slama's on the minor league 7-day DL, so he wouldn't show up on the MLB site. Technically, I think he can be called up and play since he isn't on the major league DL (anyone know this either way?), but the point is he is injured - bruised leg. Until that's healed, he's not pitching anywhere.

Thanks for the heads up SB... It was driving me nuts that I couldn't verify what I had read a few days ago. How did he get a bruised leg, was he hit by a line drive or something?

#19 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,990 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:23 AM

Either someone isn't being truthful, or the communications in this organization is awful. But, no one ever gets held accountable in Twins' land, they just get reassigned to a new job. I'm not expecting any real changes in how injuries are handled. The totally downplayed Baker's issues, and kind of threw him under the bus a bit....turns out they were wrong. Last night, someone ignored a pitcher who said he shouldn't be pitching. I really, really, really do not understand why they have not made substantive changes to how they handle this stuff, because what they are doing hasn't worked for a couple of years.

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#20 Mauerzy4Prez

Mauerzy4Prez

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:26 AM

I must admit I was surprised in the post-game interview when Gardy said he had no advance warning. I'm not going to say he was not truthful, but it did appear to me watching the game that he came out of the dugout pretty quickly after the first few batters. Don't you normally send out the pitching coach first, to settle things down and feel out the situation? And Manship was up and warming up even before Gardy got to the mound - at least that's the way it looked on TV.

I also have to wonder, given what happened with Blackburn earlier, does anybody on the pitching staff really think they can get away with pitching injured without telling anyone? Wouldn't you have thought that, after that incident, they would sit their starters down and tell them in no uncertain terms, "Let us know if there's a problem warming up?" That's what I would have done.

I think you are right in your first paragraph about sending out the pitching coach first normally that is the order of operations when a guy is struggling. Last night however, was not a situation where Anderson could/should have gone out first. They clearly were watching him from that first at bat, and as he threw an 86mph FASTBALL to Thome, it was obvious something was up. PJ did not need to get "settled down", he needed his manager to stare him in the eyes and directly ask WTF is going on, because he was not his normal self. I don't think that means Gardy knew anything before the game, I think it means that they recognized very early on in the first two at bats that he was not "right" from the get go, and they were preparing for the inevitable by warming up Manship.

#21 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,634 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

How did he get a bruised leg, was he hit by a line drive or something?

http://www.oursports...ses/?id=4417132

"[Slama] sustained the injury last night [June 6], when Norfolk's Miguel Tejada lined a comeback off his right leg in the sixth inning."

#22 stringer bell

stringer bell

Front office apologist

• Twins News Team
  • 4,551 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:46 AM

We don't know the sequence of events. I read this as Walters telling the staff after the fact that his shoulder was tight and it wouldn't loosen up. It is entirely possible that Walters told someone before the game, but the way the article is written, it could be either way. Players looking to establish themselves aren't likely to report anything to anyone when they are getting a chance to perform. A veteran with a guaranteed contract like Nick Blackburn is another matter altogether.

Gardy is reporting things as he sees them, but he wants to put his spin on events. The Twins website is going to try to put the best possible spin for the team. Those aren't exactly the same things. Gardenhire appeared angry and I think the anger was with Walters, not the training staff or Anderson.

#23 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:47 AM

Or they send Parmelee down and go back to a 13-man pitching staff.

That move makes more sense. Parms ain't gonna get many AB's with Justin looking good at the plate, and we already have a pretty good bench for OF.

#24 Mauerzy4Prez

Mauerzy4Prez

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:54 AM

We don't know the sequence of events. I read this as Walters telling the staff after the fact that his shoulder was tight and it wouldn't loosen up. It is entirely possible that Walters told someone before the game, but the way the article is written, it could be either way. Players looking to establish themselves aren't likely to report anything to anyone when they are getting a chance to perform. A veteran with a guaranteed contract like Nick Blackburn is another matter altogether.

Gardy is reporting things as he sees them, but he wants to put his spin on events. The Twins website is going to try to put the best possible spin for the team. Those aren't exactly the same things. Gardenhire appeared angry and I think the anger was with Walters, not the training staff or Anderson.

I agree that he looked pretty angry (face even more red than usual), but my whole point, and I believe you are on the right track in your first paragraph, is when you have a young guy like PJ that is looking to establish himself and is hesitant to report any possible problems to the manager, it is the training staffs responsibility to keep Gardy in the loop. It is very likely, and probably correct that PJ did know he wasn't 100% before the game but said nothing to Gardy because he wants to prove himself... my issue is with the trainers not communicating this to Gardy even if Peej didn't want to.

#25 CwK

CwK

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

http://www.oursports...ses/?id=4417132

"[Slama] sustained the injury last night [June 6], when Norfolk's Miguel Tejada lined a comeback off his right leg in the sixth inning."

LOL at Miguel Tejada

#26 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:28 AM

It is very likely, and probably correct that PJ did know he wasn't 100% before the game but said nothing to Gardy because he wants to prove himself... my issue is with the trainers not communicating this to Gardy even if Peej didn't want to.

What we are missing is any sense of the number of times pitchers "can't get loose" during warmups and struggle through a first inning where they give up a run or two, then things work out better and they get through 5 or 6 or 7 innings all right after all. Some of this discussion strikes me as pure second-guessing, for a case where things worked out about as badly as possible.

#27 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,990 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:29 AM

Lost in all this, is congrats to Oliveras for being promoted.....

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#28 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:38 AM

You're right. I actually thought I was posting my little rant in the game-day thread. Maybe I'll go duplicate it over there.

#29 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,148 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

Indeed. The back end of the Twins' bullpen has actually proven to be quite solid, so if Oliveros can carry over the improved control from the minors and start blowing people away in the majors with his mid-90s heat, he'll give Gardy the kind of depth that is lacking when he has to go to guys like Gray and Manship in the seventh inning.

#30 StormJH1

StormJH1

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 11:14 AM

Excited to see Oliveros. We don't have much to lose by trying, and he's young enough that it's conceivable he could still correct his control issues.