Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

OF Trade Prospects

trade twins outfield atlanta
  • Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#1 Poli_Crandall

Poli_Crandall

Elizabethton Twins

• 12 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 03:16 PM

Buster Olney's recent blog post stated some very interesting offensive players that can be potential candidates this offseason because of the influx of a strong Starting pitcher FA market and the lack of positional players.  Of the players he lists one particular candidate, Jason Heyward, seems like a fascinating option for the twins to go after.  He states that because of 2015 being his final year under contract and him being somewhat of an offensive enigma, he is a candidate to be traded. In my opinion he is the perfect candidate for the twins to target.  He immediately upgrades an OF defense that ranked near the bottom and brings a solid top of the order bat that can provide power, speed, and on base percentage.  The asking price would be very steep and I don't think it would be viable if we dont lock him up to a long term deal as well but He would be perfect for the twins organization.  

Some possible trade candidates that I think that would peak their interests would be Brian Dozier as they dont have  a solid solution at 2nd base and/or Trevor Plouffe.  We would probably have to include something else like a B grade pitching prospect but i definitely think we should make the leap.  Stick Rosario or Santana at second and open the door for Sano to take over 3rd base at some point in the mid season. What are your guy's thoughts?

• glunn and Siehbiscuit like this

#2 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,941 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 03:27 PM

I'd be interested in Heyward, but I can't imagine he goes for Plouffe and Thorpe.  I think it would take something like Berrios to get the conversation started.

• USAFChief, glunn and Cris E like this

#3 USAFChief

USAFChief

Bad puns. That's how eye roll.

• 25,853 posts
  • LocationTucson

Posted 02 November 2014 - 03:36 PM

I'd be interested in Heyward, but I can't imagine he goes for Plouffe and Thorpe.  I think it would take something like Berrios to get the conversation started.

Sign me up if it includes a new contract for Heyward.

I'd ask about Kemp first though.
  • glunn and Thrylos like this

Cutting my carbs...with a pizza slicer.

#4 raindog

raindog

• 407 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 03:42 PM

Maybe a package starting with Arcia? I love Aria, but the Twins have a huge defense problem. Hayward would help with that.

Arcia isn't quite the player Hayward is, but he has several years of team control and is younger.

• glunn likes this

#5 Thrylos

Thrylos

Twins World Champions in 2020

• 10,284 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:45 PM

Sign me up if it includes a new contract for Heyward.

I'd ask about Kemp first though.

Indeed.And see whether the Dodgers would like Nolasco to be there, as much as he does... 

• glunn likes this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#6 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,941 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:21 PM

I'm on board for asking about Kemp.

• diehardtwinsfan likes this

#7 Ben B

Ben B

• 87 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:55 PM

After their season ticket campaign centered around Dozier and he's become the face of the franchise, I can't see them trading him unless they're absolutely blown away. 

• glunn, Cris E and EephusKnuckler like this

#8 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,597 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:41 PM

Heyward may be traded, but it would be for a top 5-10 prospect in all of baseball just to get the conversation started.  If a Braves outfielder is moved for something akin to the OP package, it'd be BJ Upton.  That grouping likely won't get you in the door for Heyward or Justin Upton, both of whom the team would listen on for the right trade package, but I have a feeling that package would include a Buxton/Sano to start the discussions.  May not take one of those guys to get the deal done if the deal was something like Meyer AND Berrios and some other pieces for Heyward, but basically think of Heyward as the Braves' Hershel Walker, expecting a conversation to be akin to that sort of organizational changing package of players.

• glunn likes this

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#9 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,597 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:44 PM

Also, the Braves have a glut of middle infield guys at or just about at the major league level, including their #1 prospect, Jose Peraza, who could challenge Tommy La Stella (young and quite talented in his own right) as soon as this year.  Dozier wouldn't be of interest, and Plouffe even less so.

• glunn likes this

#10 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• 4,737 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:48 PM

Would they trade Heyward for Meyer? Should the Twins make that move?

The players are virtually the same age. Meyer comes with much more team control and much less certainty.
  • glunn likes this

#11 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,597 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 07:57 PM

Would they trade Heyward for Meyer? Should the Twins make that move?

The players are virtually the same age. Meyer comes with much more team control and much less certainty.

Meyer only, not a chance.  Meyer AND Berrios might get you into discussions.

And if the Twins didn't make the move of Heyward for Meyer, they're idiots, frankly.

#12 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,941 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:47 PM

I have gotten the feeling from many Braves fans that their feelings about Heyward are pretty biased.  Heyward is a good player, but he's not great.  

3 years straight of declining OPS and HR numbers, if the price is anything like what you are suggesting Ben - then a GM would have to be an idiot to take them up on it.

• Cris E and Stan Zbornak like this

#13 raindog

raindog

• 407 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:11 PM

Yea...I think you're overrating Heyward a bit. He's a nice player, but not the elite guy you seem to think he is.
  • brvama, EephusKnuckler, Monkeypaws and 3 others like this

#14 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,597 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:13 PM

I have gotten the feeling from many Braves fans that their feelings about Heyward are pretty biased.  Heyward is a good player, but he's not great.  

3 years straight of declining OPS and HR numbers, if the price is anything like what you are suggesting Ben - then a GM would have to be an idiot to take them up on it.

Not debating that, and I'm one of the more clear ones among Braves fans, since I'm not in Georgia.  He's a Georgia boy who has been other worldly defensively the last few years and been the face of the franchise since he came up, so it'd be akin to the Twins trading Mauer before he got the big contract.  Twins fans would have ripped the front office apart unless they got a huge return, and that's the situation here.

• glunn, birdwatcher and TheLeviathan like this

#15 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,597 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:15 PM

Yea...I think you're overrating Heyward a bit. He's a nice player, but not the elite guy you seem to think he is.

No, not basing the trade on his status as a player.  I'm basing it on what the front office would have to get back to not be hunted down in the streets of Atlanta for moving their hometown hero.

That said, he is an elite defender, so there's more than just "nice" to him.  I could discuss the ruin that is Heyward being managed by Fredi Gonzalez, but that's another discussion for another day.

• glunn and birdwatcher like this

#16 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 25,507 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:17 PM

...and I don't think it would be viable if we dont lock him up to a long term deal as well

I don't know the mechanics of working out a long term deal while his contract belongs to the Braves, but it seems to me that if the Twins were capable of working out a deal they would accept, the Braves would already have worked out the identical deal and signed it as soon as the laserprinter ink was dry.

/ which is pretty fast

• glunn likes this

Junk is stuff we throw away.Stuff is junk we keep.-- George Carlin

#17 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,597 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:23 PM

I don't know the mechanics of working out a long term deal while his contract belongs to the Braves, but it seems to me that if the Twins were capable of working out a deal they would accept, the Braves would already have worked out the identical deal and signed it as soon as the laserprinter ink was dry.

/ which is pretty fast

Heyward has been very open that the only reason he did not get extended last offseason was his distrust of Frank Wren (you want to hear some crazy stuff, do a bit of research on the post-Frank Wren fallout in Atlanta - just crazy).  He's made comments about getting a deal done this offseason already, which is why I was surprised to see a well-sourced writer like Buster mention him so prominently in his article, unless he was simply looking for clicks.

Justin Upton is a different story altogether, especially when the team is actively looking to dump his brother to anyone who will take him.

• Cris E likes this

#18 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 25,507 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:32 PM

Heyward has been very open that the only reason he did not get extended last offseason was his distrust of Frank Wren

Hadn't kept up on this situation at all. 

So they have a year to make nice with the J-Hey Kid.All of a sudden this one seems like a non-starter, Buster or no Buster.

Junk is stuff we throw away.Stuff is junk we keep.-- George Carlin

#19 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,597 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:40 PM

Hadn't kept up on this situation at all. 

So they have a year to make nice with the J-Hey Kid.All of a sudden this one seems like a non-starter, Buster or no Buster.

As quickly as the team moved to extend Andrelton Simmons, Craig Kimbrel, Julio Teheran, Chris Johnson, and Freddie Freeman once John Hart was hired last offseason, Heyward's absence from that list was very notable to every beat writer and Braves blogger, and the rumblings in the spring were that the main issue was Wren.

#20 nytwinsfan

nytwinsfan

• 1,750 posts

Posted 02 November 2014 - 09:40 PM

Meyer only, not a chance.  Meyer AND Berrios might get you into discussions.

And if the Twins didn't make the move of Heyward for Meyer, they're idiots, frankly.

No, they would not be idiots to reject that deal. Even assuming you got Heyward to agree to a contract extension before the trade (not sure how that works), do the Twins really want to trade Meyer's or Berrios's three pre-arbitration years plus three arbitration years for another huge contract for five-six years? And while we do need outfield defense, we need starting pitching even more, especially after next year when outfield defense (Buxton, Rosario, maybe Kepler or Walker) is scheduled to arrive. And if Heyward can't agree to an extension, then this would be the stupidest trade ever. We are not even competing in 2015.

Edited by nytwinsfan, 02 November 2014 - 09:43 PM.

• Cris E and brvama like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trade, twins, outfield, atlanta