Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

2014-2015 MLB Offseason Moves Thread

all the moves non-twins moves
  • Please log in to reply
215 replies to this topic

#201 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 09 February 2015 - 02:06 PM

I love what San Diego has done this offseason.  Talk about going all in - and they're still in a position to make a move or two.  

MLB Trade Rumors ‏@mlbtraderumors· 3h3 hours ago 
Padres Planning Aggressive Pursuit Of Yoan Moncada http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/?p=46860

Not resting on their laurels.

You've Gotta Have Heart.  All You Really Need Is Heart.

When the Odds Are Saying "You'll Never Win", That's When The Grin Should Start!

#202 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Members
  • 16,760 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:24 PM

The most amazing thing about this offseason for the Padres is they didn't really go that hard into their farm, they largely kept their best assets and added a ton of talent.

#203 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,143 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 05:36 PM

The most amazing thing about this offseason for the Padres is they didn't really go that hard into their farm, they largely kept their best assets and added a ton of talent.

That's the biggest thing.  If they got to July and Cliff Lee or Cole Hamels would put them over the top, a guy like Austin Hedges is still there as a keypoint of a deal.  They also didn't move a lot of their big league young talent, though I will say swapping Grandal for Norris may bite them a bit.  They're also looking at a possible influx of picks from two possible qualifying offer guys after the season in Upton and possibly Kennedy, so losing their first-round pick this year may not hurt as bad because they'll end up with 3 in the top 40 or so next season.

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#204 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 09 February 2015 - 07:38 PM

Hopefully this will fill that beautiful stadium of theirs this season.

Padres are a team I've always had a soft spot for. Love San Diego too.

#205 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 10 February 2015 - 08:42 AM

It's an offseason like this that can energize a fanbase.The Padres may have spent money and traded a pile of depth type prospects (along with a couple of good ones) but they are probably going to make that money back in increased ticket sales.

I blogged about this a week ago here - https://fantasybaseb...adres-thinking/

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#206 ashbury

ashbury

Haighters gonna Haight

• Twins Mods
  • 21,593 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, NV

Posted 11 February 2015 - 11:10 AM

It's an offseason like this that can energize a fanbase.The Padres may have spent money and traded a pile of depth type prospects (along with a couple of good ones) but they are probably going to make that money back in increased ticket sales.

I blogged about this a week ago here - https://fantasybaseb...adres-thinking/

What I find interesting is that the Forbes survey of MLB team finances shows the Twins and Padres pretty closely matched for franchise value and annual revenue and profit.If they can do it, I'm hoping an off-season soon for the Twins will be like this, when the core has arrived.

Nothing is impossible for the one who doesn't have to do the work.

#207 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 11 February 2015 - 06:07 PM

What I find interesting is that the Forbes survey of MLB team finances shows the Twins and Padres pretty closely matched for franchise value and annual revenue and profit.If they can do it, I'm hoping an off-season soon for the Twins will be like this, when the core has arrived.

The Padres still have a lower payroll and future commitments despite their splash this year.My favorite part of the Padres offseason is that they traded 2nd tier prospects (let's say 51-100+ ranked) for good MLB players.

• USAFChief and TheLeviathan like this

Is 2016 2017 2018 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? 

Offseason (noun) - a time to propose trades assuming opposing GM's can't do the same basic analysis

#208 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 518 posts

Posted 13 February 2015 - 10:51 AM

For all the Jason Repko fans out there, you can see him in the Twin Cities this year. You will just have to go to St Paul to do so. Jason Repko signs with the Sioux Falls Canaries.

#209 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,143 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:00 PM

Holy crap.  Just holy crap.

Craig Kimbrel and BJ Upton to San Diego

Carlos Quentin, Cameron Maybin, Matt Wisler, Jordan Paroubek, and #41 pick to Atlanta

Jesus.

#210 Hrbowski

Hrbowski

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 2,543 posts
  • LocationA small town city

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:21 PM

I guess the Padres want to be Braves West. Does anybody think that Melvin Jr. will be traded to the team that Justin signs with?

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

#211 markos

markos

• Members
  • 1,368 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 05:55 PM

Holy crap.  Just holy crap.

Craig Kimbrel and BJ Upton to San Diego

Carlos Quentin, Cameron Maybin, Matt Wisler, Jordan Paroubek, and #41 pick to Atlanta

Jesus.

Curious to hear your take on the deal.

My initial thoughts: huge win for Braves. Getting out of the Upton contract should be great for them, and really add a lot of flexibility going forward. Quentin and Maybin are as bad as Upton, but combined they are still making significantly less than Upton was over the next 3 years. Kimbrel is a big loss for the Braves, but considering where they are at in the rebuilding phase, he is probably expendable right now. And I'm not sure I would have expected him to fetch more than a Wisler, Paroubeck and #41 pick  package on his own. All around great trade for the Braves.

#212 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,143 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 06:43 PM

Curious to hear your take on the deal.

My initial thoughts: huge win for Braves. Getting out of the Upton contract should be great for them, and really add a lot of flexibility going forward. Quentin and Maybin are as bad as Upton, but combined they are still making significantly less than Upton was over the next 3 years. Kimbrel is a big loss for the Braves, but considering where they are at in the rebuilding phase, he is probably expendable right now. And I'm not sure I would have expected him to fetch more than a Wisler, Paroubeck and #41 pick  package on his own. All around great trade for the Braves.

I am a huge Kimbrel fan on and off the field, so I'm very, very sad to see him go. Maybin is a lottery ticket that will probably come up dry, but what the heck, sometimes you buy a $1 Powerball and get $5 out of it.  Quentin will be DFA'd in order to expedite him to the AL (Orioles maybe?).  I really like Wisler and getting the draft pick, but the real prize is ridding the team of Melvin.

#213 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,138 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 08:35 AM

Great trade for the Braves. Not sure why the Twins haven't done the same with Perkins.......this is how a rebuilding team rebuilds, not by signing and re-signing crappy veterans.

The real prize for the Braves is getting legit prospects and the number 41 pick. The money savings is a real bonus. Unreal trade for the Braves.

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#214 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,143 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 11:09 AM

Great trade for the Braves. Not sure why the Twins haven't done the same with Perkins.......this is how a rebuilding team rebuilds, not by signing and re-signing crappy veterans.

The real prize for the Braves is getting legit prospects and the number 41 pick. The money savings is a real bonus. Unreal trade for the Braves.

I agree, but I will say that as a fan, it's awfully hard to watch your team's favorite players go out the door, especially moving two homegrown "stars" in Heyward and Kimbrel in one season.

I love the trade for all the value for the Braves, but emotionally, I'll miss the lean of Kimbrel in the 9th.

#215 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 29,138 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 11:24 AM

In a year, you'll be happy they did it, rather than sit on him in a 90 loss season......

• jokin likes this

It's IL now, btw, not DL.....

#216 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 4,143 posts

Posted 06 April 2015 - 11:52 AM

In a year, you'll be happy they did it, rather than sit on him in a 90 loss season......

Yeah, and as the lead prospect guy for Tomahawk Take, I'm loving our top 20 right now.  There are 5 guys who would have been on that top 20 in October that don't even make honorable mention now.  It's crazy the amount of talent brought in this offseason.

Also realize for Braves fans who lived through the 90s, a closer at the end of the game has more importance due to multiple offseasons ending because of the lack of a quality closer, so Kimbrel had a bit more importance to many of the older fans for that reason.