Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Article: Favorite Jim Thome Twins Moment

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,832 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...me-Twins-Moment

#2 J-Dog Dungan

J-Dog Dungan

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

Definately the walk-off homer v. Thorton.

#3 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 613 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:44 PM

The flag pole shot.

#4 one_eyed_jack

one_eyed_jack

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:07 PM

The flag pole shot.

---I was at that game. At the time of the shot, I was in the men's room with my son - then a toilet training toddler, who, thankfully, was making good progress in that area. All of a sudden we heard the roar of the crowd.

But it wasn't the typical home run roar that builds into a big "Yaaaaay!".

It was more like a sudden "Whooooa!", as though 50,000 Spicoli's simulatenously tried Double Stuff Oreos for the first time.

He was so pleased with his successful use of a urinal, I didn't have the heart to tell him he missed out on something he'll probably never see again.

#5 mnjon

mnjon

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:40 PM

Too many great moments in such a short amount of time. Not sure if this is my actual favorite but it's a result of Jim Thome being Jim Thome - I don't think I'll ever stop laughing at the reaction on Delmon Young's face when Thome hit his 596th homerun.

#6 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:36 PM

I was in the tenth row at the 8/20/10 walkoff game. Absolutely epic, and I'll never forget it. I don't know what all of you guys say, but that's #1 in my mind for sure.

#7 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 849 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:03 AM

The walk-off versus the White Sox will probably rank as my highest. But I was at the game where he hit the flag pole and that will be something I remember forever, a story to tell the kids some day.

#8 LimestoneBaggy

LimestoneBaggy

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:09 AM

He was so pleased with his successful use of a urinal, I didn't have the heart to tell him he missed out on something he'll probably never see again.

As a fellow dad, I'm wondering if you didn't have a bigger moment.....

#9 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,477 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:36 AM

I was at the May 23, 2011 game against the Mariners in which Thome hit 2 HRs. On both occasions, I was standing in the State Fair line in center field waiting for food and missed the shots.

#10 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,832 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:41 AM

For me, it was easily that walk-off against the White Sox. Capps had blown a save and given up a homer to Alexei Ramirez. The Twins were down. Delmon got on, and on the first pitch to Thome, Thornton made him look silly. But on that second pitch, it happened so fast. Thornton threw, Thome swung, the ball flew picturesque through the night sky and the crowd all stood. I was sitting in Row 5 that night, right along side the Twins dugout. The Great Khalid El-Amin was two rows in front of me. I even got a high-5 from him! The crowd went wild. Sitting down that low, it's amazing how the roar of the crowd all pushes down on the field. What a moment!! Here's what I wrote that night! http://talkintwinsbb...le-thome-to-me/

#11 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,832 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:42 AM

Another one I had forgotten about... During Harmon Killebrew's Memorial service at Target Field in 2011, Thome participated by sitting in the seat about where Killebrew's long home run was hit. He later came down to the field, but I thought that was a great moment too.

#12 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 597 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

To me, the flagpole shot isn't even his best HR as a Twin. It was the one he bombed onto the concourse over the batters eye in center field. I was sitting in the LF bleachers next to the bullpen, and when he hit that one I and everyone else around me had the Orlando Hudson "Holy $*!&" reaction (Also did that for Soriano's blasts last Friday night). I don't think I've even seen anyone else hit one off the batters eye in center, and he cleared it. Pretty sure that one is the longest HR hit a Target Field, and Thome owns the top 2 spots for that distinction. -> http://mlb.mlb.com/v...ent_id=13665107.

#13 CDog

CDog

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:34 AM

To me, the flagpole shot isn't even his best HR as a Twin. It was the one he bombed onto the concourse over the batters eye in center field.

I agree that from a physical amazement, that the shot over the batter's eye was the most remarkable. The flagpole shot was awesome in a different, unlikely way (just from the odds of hitting the pole squarely like that). And the White Sox walk-off gets my nod from a game-situation and most fun standpoint. By the way, it's correctly labeled in the youtube clip, but the White Sox Walk Off was 8/17/10, not 8/20. Was a date I remember for other reasons, so I happened to notice.

#14 dberthia

dberthia

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:38 AM

For me it was the mammoth 490ft #596:
http://minnesota.twi...lb&ymd=20110717

I was at the game with my 8 year old son, and he just lit up when that happened. It's something I'll always remember.

#15 Land Of 10,000 Beasts

Land Of 10,000 Beasts

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:45 PM

Another one I had forgotten about... During Harmon Killebrew's Memorial service at Target Field in 2011, Thome participated by sitting in the seat about where Killebrew's long home run was hit. He later came down to the field, but I thought that was a great moment too.

I was just thinking about that earlier. It obviously isn't my favorite, but it certainly was something special.