Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Fastest Man in Baseball

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Curt

Curt

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:58 AM

http://hardballtalk....for-163-steals/

Aaron Gleeman posted this about minor leaguer (Slidin') Billy Hamilton. Revere is, pretty obviously, the fastest Twin and has impressive SB stats in his short MLB career.

So, who are the fastest guys in MLB and where does Revere rank?

#2 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,748 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:43 AM

Michael Bourn is.....fast, so is Andrus, Gardiner, Rajai Davis, Reyes, Maybin. I think Revere is right up with most of those guys. Depends if you just base it on SB's or include extra base and infield hits or getting them to run around the block.

#3 Curt

Curt

• Members
  • 240 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:07 PM

I was hoping we'd get a closer look at Tony Campana this weekend. I think he subbed in CF on Friday and almost caught Morneau's triple. Maybe he'll play today. The Angels' Peter Bourjos is pretty fast too. What's up with his ONE stolen base in TWO attempts this year though?

#4 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:13 PM

There is a way to look at it fairly objectively. One of the major tests for drafting players in the MLB these days is their time in the 60 yard dash (similar to the 40 yard for FB players.) You can google the other times, but here are 3: Ben Revere: 6.28 Bill Hamilton: less than 6.5 Buron Buxton: 6.4
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#5 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,385 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:49 PM

The only two major league players with comparable speed to Revere is McCutchen of the Pirates and Gomez with the Brewers. Whoever traded Gomez from the Twins should be fired. Oh yeah that's right... He was!!! Campana with the Cubs... Gordon With the Dodgers and EY junior with the Rockies I believe would in the next group and very close. Thats my guess eyeballing with no data or stopwatches.

#6 Higuys

Higuys

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:48 AM

Dee Gordon is also very impressively fast

#7 Turd Furgeson

Turd Furgeson

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:47 AM

Mike Trout is just as fast as Revere, if not a bit faster. Billy Hamilton is easily faster than all of them, and provided that he can hit at the major league level he'll be one of the fastest players in history. He's on pace to steal about 160 bases this year in high A.

#8 Paul

Paul

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:47 AM

...Whoever traded Gomez from the Twins should be fired...

I don't know about comparable speed, but this guy has the longest stride I've ever witnessed. Sitting by 3B at the dome and watching him sprint 1B to home is something I will never forget. His stride is well over 100 inches.