Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

2012 All Star Game

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Land Of 10,000 Beasts

Land Of 10,000 Beasts

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:42 PM

I think the general consensus is that if Mauer(or somebody else) doesn't get voted in, Josh Willingham will get selected to represent the Twins in the All Star Game, and deservedly so. However, I think one could make the argument that Scott Diamond could also take that place, assuming we are gonna have just 1 representative. He is 5-1 now with an ERA of just 1.61. His BB/9 is an amazing 0.81. Now I am aware that he only has 7 starts so far this season so for all I know he might not even be eligible, but if Diamond continues to pitch gems(pun intended), then I would have no problem having him represent us in the All Star Game. Did I get too much sun today or does anybody agree with me?

#2 one_eyed_jack

one_eyed_jack

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:56 PM

He's been impressive, and if he's able to maintain those numbers over his next few starts, he'd merit some consideration. However I think he got a bit too late of a start, and it will probably be the Hammer. But it's a good question. If he's strong for the rest of the season, he should get some love for Rookie of the Year.

#3 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:46 AM

I said on another thread that Diamond is the one pitcher we have who could be legitimately considered, but Willingham has actually earned his place this year (I think he'll get picked even if by some fluke Mauer gets voted in), and being up here the whole year tips the scales in his direction.

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:33 AM

I never have a problem seeing guys get into the All Star game or at least being discussed for it, and Diamond has done that. What he has really done is put his name into the AL Rookie of the Year discussion. If it weren't for that Mike Trout guy, I would likely be the favorite.

#5 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:16 AM

According to AL WAR ranks on fangraphs, Mauer is ranked #1 among catchers and Willingham ranks #6 among outfielders. They both have earned a spot.

#6 Land Of 10,000 Beasts

Land Of 10,000 Beasts

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:53 AM

I'm glad I'm not the only one to think this worthy of discussion. It seems like all it takes is one bad start from him to remove him from the all star talk altogether. If this trend continues however, I would be a little surprised if he didn't make, seeing as Chris Sale leads the AL(among qualifiers) with an ERA of 2.05.

#7 pjnelly

pjnelly

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:23 AM

I was also just looking at Morneau, and it is surprising what he has been able to do with so few ABs. Obviously, Konerko deserves the vote at 1b, but Morneau is impressively comparable to some of the top 1b in the AL--his HR/AB rate is a ridiculous 15.8

#8 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 12:24 PM

An arguement can be had for Mauer, Morneau, Willingham, Capps, Perkins & Diamond. They will get only 1....Mauer or Willingham.....of course there is a month left. Diamond would have to duplicate his first 7 starts over his next 7 starts to even get consideration. Most realize that Wins by a pitcher are totally out of his control, so he can still pitch great & not get the Ws & lose ground.

#9 alarp33

alarp33

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:33 PM

An arguement can be had for Mauer, Morneau, Willingham, Capps, Perkins & Diamond.
They will get only 1....Mauer or Willingham.....of course there is a month left.
Diamond would have to duplicate his first 7 starts over his next 7 starts to even get consideration. Most realize that Wins by a pitcher are totally out of his control, so he can still pitch great & not get the Ws & lose ground.

An argument can be made for Perkins? Can you make it..

#10 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:54 AM

Last I checked, Mauer is #3 in votes for Catcher. How many catchers do they carry in the all-star game? I don't think Perkins has been consistent enough to justify a spot, but I wouldn't be surprised if Capps gets the nod.