Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Trevor Plouffe comparable . . . ?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:42 AM

Rob Deer. Very low average with very good power. Massive L/R splits. Pretty soon the "play every day" thing should probably be replaced with a platoon situation . . . if the Twins can find a lefty to do so . . .

#2 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:05 PM

I'm not sure there's enough to proclaim much of anything about Plouffe at this point, good or bad. What I will say is, given current IF options, he's intriguing enough that he should be playing most every day so there's more to judge on over the winter.

#3 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:19 PM

Rob Deer. Very low average with very good power. Massive L/R splits.

Pretty soon the "play every day" thing should probably be replaced with a platoon situation . . . if the Twins can find a lefty to do so . . .

It seems obvious, Joe Mauer?

#4 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super friend

• Members
  • 1,745 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:20 PM

To Mark Reynolds of the Os, but with a worse eye, plate discipline and (therefore) worse OB%. Both 3rd base base and are all or nothing with their swings.
Man is born free, but everywhere he is in chains.

#5 one_eyed_jack

one_eyed_jack

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:25 PM

I agree, still too early to say what Plouffe is or could be. However, I recall some expressing anger when Luke Hughes was let go because we should have kept him over Plouffe. I think Plouffe's surge and the struggles of Hughes, which recently landed him another demotion down to AA, validate that the correct decision was made there.

#6 jeffk

jeffk

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:32 PM

He also seems to be managing third base decently, which is surprising given that it seemed like most of his defensive struggles involved his arm. That's great news, because he's more valuable at 3B than RF, and it fills a hole for the Twins if he keeps it up. Granted there's a hole in RF too, but it's easier to find a serviceable RF than 3B.

#7 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:35 PM

I agree, still too early to say what Plouffe is or could be.

However, I recall some expressing anger when Luke Hughes was let go because we should have kept him over Plouffe.

I think Plouffe's surge and the struggles of Hughes, which recently landed him another demotion down to AA, validate that the correct decision was made there.

Hughes, was a great guy, but a placeholder, at best. Plouffe was a first round pick, still trying to put it all together. The biggest thing I've noticed is how comfortable and professional he looks at 3rd, especially compared to the other places (SS obviously the worst) the Twins have spotted him since his call-up. I think to some degree, that is carrying over to his hitting. Well, that, and teams that keep throwing the ball to him inside-middle in his wheelhouse. Whatever the case, his June production is unreal: .370/.414/.852./.1266

#8 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:03 PM

To Mark Reynolds of the Os, but with a worse eye, plate discipline and (therefore) worse OB%. Both 3rd base base and are all or nothing with their swings.

I was thinking the same thing. He doesn't strike out nearly as much as Reynolds, but doesn't get as many walks. Mark Reynolds is flat out terrible on defense and Plouffe isn't so bad.

#9 Dilligaf69

Dilligaf69

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:04 PM

Rob Deer. Very low average with very good power. Massive L/R splits.

Pretty soon the "play every day" thing should probably be replaced with a platoon situation . . . if the Twins can find a lefty to do so . . .

Disagree...let him play, he seems to be doing better at 3B...great play today. See what you have over a full season...make a decision this winter.

#10 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:09 PM

Disagree...let him play, he seems to be doing better at 3B...great play today. See what you have over a full season...make a decision this winter.

Yeah you are correct about that play every day thing for now.

Aside from the defensive position, I still think Rob Deer is more comparable than Mark Reynolds!

#11 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:00 PM

First 16 gms thru May 7th.......4-39 .102 BAve .205 slgg 1double 1HR 2RBI 10bb 6Ks Danny Valencia optioned May 10th.....coincidence???? Last 23gms since May 8th.....22-86 .256 BAve .593 slgg 5doubles 8HR 15RBI 5bb 20Ks

#12 The Greatest Poster Alive

The Greatest Poster Alive

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:14 PM

Right handed Luke Scott. The type of player who provides below average defense wherever he goes, but good enough to tolerate... and a bat capable of providing pop, but only against lefties.

#13 DaTwins

DaTwins

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:03 PM

Reynolds hit 44 homers one year. I feel pretty safe saying Plouffe won't ever get near that. He might be a Ryan Roberts type, maybe Gordon Beckham?

#14 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,102 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:31 PM

Reynolds hit 44 homers one year. I feel pretty safe saying Plouffe won't ever get near that. He might be a Ryan Roberts type, maybe Gordon Beckham?

I just checked this and Plouffe has 8 homers this year in 38 games played. That suggests that maybe he could hit 25-35 homers a year. Less than 44 but still pretty good taking into account that homers don't come easy at Target field. And he has made some good plays at third base.

#15 DaTwins

DaTwins

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:57 PM

He's on the best streak of his career right now. I don't think it's fair to say he can keep this up or realistic to extrapolate these numbers. I'm sure there are samples of Jason Kubel's career here that you could argue make him a 40 home run type of guy too, and he's a much better hitter than Plouffe. Though, I do agree that 25 could be attainable at the high side of estimates, seeing as he's been increasing his power for the last ~3 or 4 years.

#16 Montecore

Montecore

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:04 PM

Like Blyleven said after his HR - it really looks like Trevor Plouffe is in a state of becoming a helluva good player. Gotta like his chances.

#17 TwinsGuy55422

TwinsGuy55422

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 11:19 PM

I doubt he can keep up this current pace but he seems to be gaining confidence by the day. I hope they keep him playing almost everyday and find out once and for all if he can be an everyday player. Who knows, he may just find his niche at 3B.
[FONT=century gothic][COLOR=#FF0000]Twins[/COLOR][COLOR=#000080]Guy[/COLOR][COLOR=#FF0000]55422
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#000000]"And we'll see ya tomorrow night!!!!"[/COLOR]
[/FONT]

#18 Pradesh

Pradesh

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:02 AM

When was the last time we had a decent player with defense, average and power at 3rd, SS or 2nd?

#19 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,042 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:32 PM

A more recent comp would be Joe Crede, circa 2003-2006, with (significantly) less defensive value. Over those four seasons, before back problems ruined his career, Crede hit .260/.308/.454 and averaged 23 homers. He was 25 years old at the start of that window; Plouffe is 25 now. Without the fantastic glovework, Plouffe will never be as valuable, but those kinds of numbers seem attainable and would make him a better player than anyone the Twins have trotted out at third in quite a while. Also: what happens with Valencia? Plouffe seems like he's on the way to locking up the hot corner.

#20 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 06:36 AM

Valencia = Trade Bait at best. I do think that unless Plouffe improves his defense and can maintain a good average all season long, he is not a long-term answer at 3b. Finding a lefty to share time with him isn't a bad idea, but platooning him with Mauer is just stupid. Plouffe has hit more home runs, but he simply cannot hit and field on the same level as Mauer. Not to mention the fact that you don't pay a guy 23m a year to only play half the time.

#21 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:48 PM

A more recent comp would be Joe Crede, circa 2003-2006, with (significantly) less defensive value. Over those four seasons, before back problems ruined his career, Crede hit .260/.308/.454 and averaged 23 homers. He was 25 years old at the start of that window; Plouffe is 25 now.

Without the fantastic glovework, Plouffe will never be as valuable, but those kinds of numbers seem attainable and would make him a better player than anyone the Twins have trotted out at third in quite a while.

Also: what happens with Valencia? Plouffe seems like he's on the way to locking up the hot corner.

I think we'd all be pretty happy with that.

Its also worth remembering Plouffe was a good enough infielder to remain a SS until he got to the big leagues. Thinking he might eventually be a plus third baseman isn't unrealistic either. His problems defensively were largely related to throwing accuracy, which can sometimes be cured. You can't teach arm strength, you sometimes can teach mechanics and footwork.

#22 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

I think that it is too early to determine what type of player Plouffe would be based on 508 MLB appearances (that's less than a full season's worth). One fun thing is that at this point, Plouffe has higher OPS+ (110 vs 107) and has hit more HRs (9 vs 7) than a former Twins' IF, turned OF, turned jack of all trades and master of none, turned Rockie...
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#23 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

Valencia = Trade Bait at best.

Trade repellent, more like.

#24 Scheherezade

Scheherezade

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:34 PM

Trade repellent, more like.

Well done, ;)

#25 Paul

Paul

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 04:35 PM

I think we'd all be pretty happy with that.

Its also worth remembering Plouffe was a good enough infielder to remain a SS until he got to the big leagues. Thinking he might eventually be a plus third baseman isn't unrealistic either. His problems defensively were largely related to throwing accuracy, which can sometimes be cured. You can't teach arm strength, you sometimes can teach mechanics and footwork.

Exactly. I'd add that his throwing problems were probably mental rather than what appeared as mechanical. You don't spend your career at SS and suddenly forget how to throw. I'll further add that if the Twins make him available he would be attractive to a team that is looking for a SS solution.

#26 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:15 PM

I'll further add that if the Twins make him available he would be attractive to a team that is looking for a SS solution.

A team that has World Series aspirations?

#27 The Greatest Poster Alive

The Greatest Poster Alive

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

Exactly. I'd add that his throwing problems were probably mental rather than what appeared as mechanical. You don't spend your career at SS and suddenly forget how to throw. I'll further add that if the Twins make him available he would be attractive to a team that is looking for a SS solution.

If Plouffe had a chance to stick at SS he'd be playing there for the Twins right now. NO way does a team look at his body of work and think, yeah... that's a guy I want to man the most defensively taxing position (besides catcher) for my playoff run. If someone wants him as a bench bat... or to fill a gaping hole in the outfield or 3rd base, they'll consider him...

I like Plouffe, but he's no short stop.

Also, he has more value as a player to hold onto than a player to move right now.

#28 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:40 PM

Mental or mechanical last year nothwithstanding, I can pretty much guaran-darn-tee you that no team that got a look at his body of work at SS last season would ever take a chance at this year's mid-season trading deadline to designate Plouffe as their starting SS. On the plus side, lots less mental pressure at 3B than SS, his throwing mechanics have been practically flawless since his insertion at the hot corner.

#29 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:04 PM

Valencia = Trade Bait at best.

I do think that unless Plouffe improves his defense and can maintain a good average all season long, he is not a long-term answer at 3b. Finding a lefty to share time with him isn't a bad idea, but platooning him with Mauer is just stupid. Plouffe has hit more home runs, but he simply cannot hit and field on the same level as Mauer. Not to mention the fact that you don't pay a guy 23m a year to only play half the time.

I don't think I proposed that Mauer play half the time. The Twins are well on the way to violating the "Not to Mention Fact" that you mentioned in your last sentence. Mauer has only played at catcher in about one-third of the last 36 games, he's already well under 50% at catcher on the season. You are right that 3B is still open in the intermediate and long-term, Plouffe is getting the chance of a lifetime right now to change the Twins' plans in his favor, but right now his L/R OPS split is .1063/.635, not good. Going into next season, and each season through 2018, an annual assessment of Mauer's health will dictate how much he can be counted on to catch, and right now the trend is not looking for more games at catcher, but less. I hope it isn't imminent, but it looks like the days of Mauer catching 120+ games is just about over. Which of course, necessitates a need to project another position for Mauer to play at least half the time (based on his current trend). If Mauer can catch primarily against left-handers and some right-handers (let's say 60-80 games), and DH and play 3B for another 80-100, the Twins would probably be in best position to maximize their $23 Mil/yr investment out to the end of the contract (2018). Morneau, with Parmelee to succeed him, are the current options at 1B, Mauer could easily end up there if they don't like what they see with Parmelee- and the Twins also need to extend Doumit to make this scenario become a possibility. This would also give the Twins a chance to focus on finding the long-term answer at 2B and/or SS.

Edited by jokin, 11 June 2012 - 10:06 PM.

#30 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,527 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 07:38 AM

I haven't been much of a Plouffe fan since not long after he was drafted. But at this point, the Twins have no better options and the guy is raking. Over at BYTO, I raised the question whether his career arc could be comped to a slightly younger version of Garrett Jones (the key difference being that Jones can actually hit righties, a more valuable commodity than hitting lefties). I'm still incredibly skeptical of Plouffe's ability to hit at an above-average level for a prolonged period of time but the Twins literally have nothing to lose by throwing him out there on a daily basis. Guys who can't hit righties don't make for very valuable players in the long run. If Plouffe is going to make it as a hitter, he's going to have to figure out how to hit RH pitchers at an acceptable level (which he is doing now but I doubt his current level of play is sustainable).

Edited by Brock Beauchamp, 13 June 2012 - 07:41 AM.