Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Photo

Derek Jeter--Unanimous HOF?

shortstop hall of fame fielding metrics yankees character
  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,467 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:33 AM

I never booed Derek Jeter.I had never thought of him as the best player in baseball either.He's been in the majors for a long time and had a lot of success, no matter how it is measured.Upon reaching 3000 hits, it has become certain that he will be elected to the Hall of Fame.The question, to me, is whether he will get the highest percentage of votes or perhaps if he will be elected unanimously.

Does Jeter deserve to be in the Hall of Fame?I don't think anyone seriously disputes that.He has over 3400 hits, five rings, five Silver Sluggers, and five Gold Gloves. His durability has resulted in counting numbers that are top of the class.He has been a model citizen under the microscope of the New York media.There is no hint of PEDs or illicit drugs.No one has mustered a harsh word against the man. 

Defensive metrics show a less-than-great defender.Jeter never won the MVP, but he has been in the Top Ten in that balloting eight times. 

To top off all the other honors, Jeter has been at his best in post-season.He's won several post-season honors and seems to have made a lot of key plays when the spotlight was the brightest. 

If I had a vote for the Hall of Fame, I'd vote for Jeter.I really can't see a reason not to vote for him, except for spite.He's had a great career and deserves the accolades.  

• USAFChief and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Owner
  • 18,220 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 08:49 AM

Like Greg Maddux, Derek Jeter SHOULD BE unanimous, but he won't be. Some voters will be idiots and find some sort of weird reason not to.

• USAFChief and biggentleben like this

#3 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• 10,147 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:04 AM

He won't be.Some voters might also not vote for him simply b/c of overstuffed ballots as well.But he could end up with the highest voting percentage of any position player, which currently belongs to Cal Ripkin at 98.5%, IIRC.

#4 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• 594 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:20 AM

I am one of those people who think first ballot election belongs to the truly elite. In my lifetime--that's Mays, Mantle, Aaron, Clemente, Brooks (maybe), Schmidt,Morgan (maybe), Ozzie Smith, etc. Pitchers like Spahn, Gibson, Maddox, etc.

Like Cal JR, I think Jeter falls below (slightly) that level. (no MVPs, average at best defense). I wouldn't vote for him in his first year. Will he get in, yes. I would vote for him 2nd year.

This is just me

#5 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• 1,086 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 10:47 AM

I am one of those people who think first ballot election belongs to the truly elite. In my lifetime--that's Mays, Mantle, Aaron, Clemente, Brooks (maybe), Schmidt,Morgan (maybe), Ozzie Smith, etc. Pitchers like Spahn, Gibson, Maddox, etc.

Like Cal JR, I think Jeter falls below (slightly) that level. (no MVPs, average at best defense). I wouldn't vote for him in his first year. Will he get in, yes. I would vote for him 2nd year.

This is just me

You are entitled to your opinion, but I feel he either deserves to be in or he doesn't.I just don't get this "undeserving of first ballot" election discussion.Unfortunately, there is a block of voters that hold the same reservation.He is clearly a Hall of Famer, but he will not be a unanimous selection.With the logjam of potential candidates piling up due to PED scandals, I doubt unanimous election will ever happen.

Edited by Physics Guy, 27 September 2014 - 10:48 AM.

• biggentleben, Longdistancetwins and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#6 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• 1,086 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:05 AM

To clarify, there are situations I wouldn't vote for a player and change my mind later, but it wouldn't be for a guy like Jeter.With the number of highly qualified players that are eligible to get in and the limit on the number of guys you can vote for, I understand the dilemna the voters have now.Something is going to have to change with the voting.Understand that this comes from a guy who has never been a big fan of Jeter's, I just have a hard time disputing his candidacy.

#7 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• 9,467 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:18 AM

Haven't some changes been made to the voting system?I thought that voters now identify who they voted for, so if one or two don't vote for someone like Jeter their names are known. 

#8 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• 12,310 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 11:58 AM

"Hi there! I'm the guy who didn't vote Jeter to the Hall of Fame!"

Nope, wouldn't want to be that guy. :)
He measured the achievements of others by what they had accomplished, asking of them that they measure him by what he envisaged or planned.
- J. L. Borges

#9 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• 748 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 01:25 PM

I think Jeter is a HOFer based on the way baseball picks HOFers. Unanimous? There's never been such a player.

Now what if A-Rod was clean and not a jerk? Or Babe Ruth just had his career recently?

Unanimous? That means you have to be adored by all and on the field, above anyone you played against in your era, and perhaps, across many areas. That's likely the criteria you have to fall into.

Jeter, never once was MVP and only in 1998 and 1999 did he finish in the top 5 in WAR. He never led the league, and only led his team a hanful of times in, AVG, OBP, SLG, OPS, SB, etc.

He played a lot of games on a lot of good teams. HOFer? Absolutely!! Unaniumous? He didn't even win an MVP while he played the game.

I think he falls into the longevity category. Al Kaline to Eddie Murray types. Kaline did have a batting Title and legitimately won GGs.

If you're picking top players overall, does he get picked in the top 100? How about at his position?

Of the guys with longevity: Cal Ripken, Honus Wagner, A-Rod, Arky Vaughn, Ernie Banks, and Barry Larkin? Would you take Jeter over any or all of them?

How about during his own time period, of guys without longevity.

Would you take Jeter in his prime over (his best 5 seasons) over these guys' best 5 seasons?

a) Nomar Garciaparra?

B) Miguel Tejada?

c) Troy Tulowitzki?

d) Jose Reyes?

e) Hanley Ramirez?

That's another angle. Season sample sizes. How often was Jeter the best player on his team or at his position in the years he played?

Is it better to have 3,400 hits but not leading any major category and zero MVPs, OR hit above .350 two times OR win 2 MVPs but not get the '3000' hits?

I think to be unanimous, you probably have to be the the undisputed best player at some point during your career in baseball, even if only for 1-2 seasons.

#10 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Too Weird to Live. Too Rare to Die.

• 4,507 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 27 September 2014 - 01:25 PM

First ballot for sure. He will get upper 90% vote totals and you never know, maybe the the baseball writers will be in a good mood that day and give him the elusive 100%.

The man was the face of baseball the last 15+ years and no offense to Justin Morneau, Jeter should have won the MVP in 2006.

Major League Baseball is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

#11 ashbury

ashbury

Twins fan for life!

• 25,397 posts
  • LocationNatick, MA

Posted 27 September 2014 - 02:36 PM

Now what if A-Rod was clean and not a jerk?

Weightlifting threads should be posted in the Sports Bar forum.

• nicksaviking, Hosken Bombo Disco and twinsfan34 like this
If you judge people, you have no time to love them. -- Mother Teresa

#12 biggentleben

biggentleben

• 4,566 posts

Posted 27 September 2014 - 05:04 PM

Weightlifting threads should be posted in the Sports Bar forum.

ARod hasn't seen a clean and jerk in the weight room since his 14th positive test.

• ashbury and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

Purveyor of videobaseballscout.com to cover all kinds of baseball!!

#13 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Trevor May's UCL

• 1,082 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 01:07 AM

Jeter is no-doubt a hall of famer. No one ever gets 100% of the vote. Hasn't happened, and won't happen unless changes happen to the hall voting process or procedures.

I don't think there's an argument out there that he doesn't belong in the hall. If there is, I'm waiting.

#14 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• 2,141 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:04 AM

I think that at least one voter will send in a blank ballot to protest the system, and there'll probably a couple wing nut voters (like the guy that didn't vote for Rickey Henderson, or the guy that didn't vote for Maddux), so despite all of Jeter's Yankee-ness, he probably will have to happy with mid 90% of the votes

#15 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Billy G.O.A.T

• 15,666 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 07:18 AM

I don't really have a problem with there being some guys who are First Ballot HOFers and then all the rest.It's not that I don't think some players have gotten in deservedly, but I do like the idea that players like Mays, Aaron, Spahn and Seaver were of a different class than Andre Dawson and Roberto Alomar.

I do think that the unwritten policy of no unanimous selections is a bit childish, but don't mistake this inaction for a slight on Jeter, Maddux or anyone else.The guys who aren't voting for these guys on the first ballot are doing so simply because they won't allow ANYONE to be unanimous if Ted Williams and Babe Ruth weren't unanimous.Someday these guys will be dead and perhaps the practice will be over, but more likely they will indocterined younger voters to this strange jealous slight.

#16 one_eyed_jack

one_eyed_jack

• 674 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 11:09 PM

Here's a question related to Jeter's HOF candidacy:

There were a few voters who refused to vote for Craig Biggio due to steroid suspicions. There's never been any solid proof that he used PED's, but their argument was basically, "He played with on a team with guys we know used, so we know it was going on around him, and we can't be sure he didn't use, so we're not going to vote for him." 

Doesn't that same reasoning apply to Jeter?Will any of these voters withhold their vote for him on that basis?

To be clear, I'm not saying they should, I think it's a silly argument.I'm just curious as to whether any of them will actually do it.

#17 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

A Little Teapot

• Owner
  • 23,507 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 05:14 AM

People who don't vote for guys like Jeter or Maddux deserve to have their votes taken away on the grounds of blatant stupidity.

#18 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• 16,933 posts

Posted 01 October 2014 - 09:27 AM

Clear cut first ballot HOFer.  Not the best all-time SS, however.

• USAFChief likes this

#19 Paul Pleiss

Paul Pleiss

Trevor May's UCL

• 1,082 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 01:37 AM

Barry Bonds has first ballot hall of fame numbers and he may never get in, despite being elligible. It's one thing to keep Pete Rose out, who's been banned by baseball.

I don't want to jack this thread, but all this talk of Jeter being a HOFer while also not mentioning another guy who is clearly HOF worthy, made me think a bit.

Jeter belongs in the hall. So does Bonds. Steroids or no steroids.

#20 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• 2,141 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 12:46 PM

Barry Bonds has first ballot hall of fame numbers and he may never get in, despite being elligible. It's one thing to keep Pete Rose out, who's been banned by baseball.

I don't want to jack this thread, but all this talk of Jeter being a HOFer while also not mentioning another guy who is clearly HOF worthy, made me think a bit.

Jeter belongs in the hall. So does Bonds. Steroids or no steroids.

Just because it's so ridiculous, here are Barry Bonds' Triple Slash lines for 2001-2004 MVP seasons:

.328 / .515 / .863

.370 / .582 / .799

.341 / .529 / .749

.362 / .609 / .812

Yeah, pretty darn good.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shortstop, hall of fame, fielding metrics, yankees, character