Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

2012 draft signings

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#81 East Coast Twin

East Coast Twin

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 05:11 PM

The signing deadline is Friday. Any word on whether the Twins are still negotiating with L.J. Mazzilli?

#82 T.Scott

T.Scott

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:26 AM

Travis Huber, RHP, Nebraska 700 pick in the 2012 draft signed on tues.

#83 Twinsoholic

Twinsoholic

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:44 PM

Earlier in this thread it says that #6 pick Andre Martinez, a high school lefty from Florida, was signed for over slot to lure him away from his commitment to Florida State University. However, I do not see any evidence on Baseball America's transactions that Martinez signed with the Twins. Moreover, if he did sign with Minnesota, is he at Extended Spring Training, because he is not on the Gulf Coast Twins roster, and one would expect him to be pitching for that team unless he is hurt or unless he has not singed or unless there is some other reason why he might be practicing with the extended spring training squad. Can anyone confirm that Martinez has signed, and can anyone explain why he is not on the Gulf Coast Twins' roster?

#84 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,311 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:09 AM

They have not yet signed Martinez. I can confirm the signing of Travis Huber, and also of Carson Goldsmith. Just about 30 hours to go before the deadline.

#85 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:14 AM

Baseball America has it wrong, then. They list Martinez as being signed in their draft database.

#86 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:34 AM

Anyone know what the Twins have left to spend before hitting the luxery tax? They must still be sitting pretty comfortably.

#87 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:49 PM

Anyone know what the Twins have left to spend before hitting the luxery tax? They must still be sitting pretty comfortably.

Baseball America has then currently being $200K under collective pool value for those signed, but they had listed Martinez as being signed, so their numbers may be inaccurate.

#88 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Draft Czar

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,383 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:51 PM

Jim Callis just reported an "unsigning". It was Andre Martinez. Purely speculation here, but I would guess they came to some sort of an agreement, he reported to Fort Myers for a physical and the Twins found something they didn't like. Now there will be no deal... and extra money in the pot (the overage that was reported he got).

#89 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

What is an "unsigning?" Did he use vanishing ink? In any case, Baseball America has now updated their draft database to show Martinez as unsigned.

#90 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,637 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

Jim Callis just reported an "unsigning". It was Andre Martinez. Purely speculation here, but I would guess they came to some sort of an agreement, he reported to Fort Myers for a physical and the Twins found something they didn't like. Now there will be no deal... and extra money in the pot (the overage that was reported he got).

pretty sure you lose the money in the pot for every guy in teh top 10 that goes unsigned.... you don't get to reallocate it elsewhere.

#91 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Draft Czar

• 2,383 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:35 PM

pretty sure you lose the money in the pot for every guy in teh top 10 that goes unsigned.... you don't get to reallocate it elsewhere.

Yeah, the Twins will lose the $200K for that spot, but his deal was reportedly for 260K, so the team will have an extra 60K. It probably won't make a difference, but you never know...

#92 boney

boney

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:51 PM

No word on Baxendale or Mazzilli yet?

#93 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Draft Czar

• 2,383 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:16 PM

No word on Baxendale or Mazzilli yet?

Baxendale is pitching in E-town. Mazzilli will come down to the deadline. I'd put the percentage of him going unsigned at 80%.

#94 boney

boney

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:49 PM

[quote name='Jeremy Nygaard']Baxendale is pitching in E-town.

Thanks, I didn't know he had signed.

#95 edavis0308

edavis0308

• Members
  • 576 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 10:04 AM

Any updates today?

#96 Vervehound

Vervehound

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:37 PM

Any updates today?

nuttin twins related. if this year's deadline is like previous year's, though, it'll take a couple hours for everything shake out once it passes at 4pm.

#97 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Draft Czar

• 2,383 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

The signing deadline is Friday. Any word on whether the Twins are still negotiating with L.J. Mazzilli?

Jim Callis just tweeted that he expects Mazzilli to sign. I would guess that, if he does, he will receive a significant amount of the unspent bonus pool.

#98 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Draft Czar

• 2,383 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

27th round pick LP Jerad Grundy just announced on Twitter he will be heading back to Kentucky for his senior year. I thought the Twins had a shot to sign him, plus they have a handful of Wildcat lefties in their system. Apparently the pull of #BBN was too strong...

#99 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,311 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:04 PM

Deadline just passed. Will be interesting to see wat we find out.

#100 Vervehound

Vervehound

• Members
  • 227 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 03:19 PM

i see we signed zach larson, our 20th rounder, for $190k. interesting....