Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

External OF Options

left field melky cabrera free agents trades defense
  • Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,693 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 11:03 AM

Do you really think that statistic is correct? Hunter could be 50 and play better defense than Willingham did this year. I don't think difference in defense from Hicks to Hunter would be that great either. I think Hicks is a terrible defender. Has the tools, takes bad jumps, bad routes, bad fundamentals. Plus, Hicks can't hit enough to be a GG SS. Rosario needs to start playing baseball in March to get any kind of chance at the MLB in 2015. There are no in-house options. 

People advocating for Rasmus need to see that he isn't going to sign some 2 year deal. He'll want 5 years at 50 million. Want to pay that? I think it would be great to have Hunter come in for a couple years at the end of his career. I'm not sure if he would go for it, but he has had much better longevity than I ever expected.

I think defensive metrics move in the right direction....but they are extreme when they try and quantify thigs. The downside to signing Hunter is it goes another year where we can blame the defense and not the pitching. 

#62 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:00 PM

He is at a -2.5 dWAR and Josh was at -1.5 in fewer games.I think it worked out to one loss per 46 games for Josh and one for every 36 games for Torii.Baseball reference has Torii at -.4 Total WAR. Might as well play Hicks or Rosario.

There is no way on god's green earth that Willingham is a better fielder than Hunter.All those numbers say is that defensive metrics are flawed.

#63 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 1,956 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 12:03 PM

I like Colby Rasmus for the Twins too.

One issue with waiting for free agents is some of them will get an extension before they reach the market.

I like this direction.My greatest concern is that we sign somebody who could play center in a pinch because that is still an unknown next year.Plus, he's still relatively young and there is some bounce back potential.It is a little concerning how many options there are out there.

#64 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,693 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 01:40 PM

There is no way on god's green earth that Willingham is a better fielder than Hunter.All those numbers say is that defensive metrics are flawed.

I said that backwards.Josh was a loss every 36 and Torii every 45 or 46.Both had a negative WAR though.Torii, IMO still gives the Twins an out to blame the defense next year.

#65 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 2,877 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 03:44 PM

I said that backwards.Josh was a loss every 36 and Torii every 45 or 46.Both had a negative WAR though.Torii, IMO still gives the Twins an out to blame the defense next year.

I get your point, but until Buxton comes up and graces us with his sparkling smile (assuming his smile is great); the OF defense just isn't going to be a plus. The Twins could just go out and sign 2 of Rasmus/Span/Hunter and that would bolster the defense by a large margin. Then you are almost guaranteeing Hicks gets shipped to AAA to start the year (where he belongs). There is less pressure on Buxton to develop quickly. Rosario is able to get back into a groove and hopefully play more 2b. 

I'm just not sure Terry Ryan would do that. I fear this break-out by Shaffer has him penciled into  starting CF next season with a dumpster pick-up as a LF. That is what has happened in the past, so that is what I expect to happen. O yeah, and other terrible year for the OF.

Do or do not. There is no try.

#66 howeda7

howeda7

• Members
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 23 September 2014 - 10:28 PM

In order of preference:

-Span: There's no way the Nats won't pick up his option and the comment he just made makes it clear we wouldn't be very high in his list if he does hit FA.

-Rasmus: Is 2/$18 or 3/$24 enough? If so, I'd do that. Anything more is iffy.

-Mauer: Given the other options, he wouldn't be any worse defensively and would free up the 1B for Vargas and DH for Pinto. But we know it won't happen.

-Hunter: I don't buy any defensive metrics that say he's worse than Willingham. 1/$8 should get it done. It's easy to roll our eyes at the 'leadership' angle after the Bartlett BS. But it's far more real here and can't be ignored.

-Cuddyer: If Hunter's that bad, how much worse could Cuddy be? Though Mauer in LF and Cuddy at 1B/DH would make more sense. Leadership: See Hunter x 2.

Edited by howeda7, 23 September 2014 - 10:29 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: left field, melky cabrera, free agents, trades, defense