Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Trade Scenarios

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 PMKI

PMKI

• Members
  • 128 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:44 PM

What are some of your guys trade scenarios that you would like to see happen or see happening this year?

#2 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:53 AM

I don't know who all is out there for other teams, or what they need, but assuming the stars align right: A healthy Pavano and/or Blackburn and Swarzak for Kevin Youkilis Capps and Valencia for some starting pitching Benson for a AAA or better SS Nishioka for a spanish speaking sports psychologist

#3 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:18 AM

Nishioka for a spanish speaking sports psychologist

Priceless!

#4 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:20 AM

I don't see any established players coming the Twins way. Mainly prospects a year or two away (currently at AA) or people blocked for a few years in the system of other teams. The Twins have lots of tradebait, but only if the players play and show some shine. Pavano would be great if he comes back. Imagine Capps will be felt out. The Twins really are in no position to keep Liriano and doubt that I would gamble that even if he pitches great for the remainder of the year that he would entertain ANY offer from the team. The Twins could mobe Gray or Burton or Swarzak as there are guys in the pipeline equally as good. Doumit is a given since he's on a one-year contract. Morneau could be gone, as could Casilla and Carroll. I have no idea what the Twins could do with Valencia. Span is a bargaining chip. I am curious to see who the Twins will be putting in the dugout and bullpen come August. But I doubt that they will get anyone that they don't have the ability to keep in the system or on the roster for a minimum of three years.

#5 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:21 AM

Youkilis is a pipe dream. That would require Buxton. As far as trades go, I prefer the package method for high-level prospects or MLB pitchers. Right now, of the guys I want traded, only Capps probably brings a good return on his own.

#6 Steve Penz

Steve Penz

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:57 AM

Willingham. His contract seems very movable to me. And, any move the Twins make should be focused on 2014 or later. Youklis was mentioned and any trade like that is crazy. We need young prospects. Do we want to rebuild for 84 wins/year or 94 wins/year? Its painful but this need to be done correctly or we will be looking and many years of darkness like the mid-late 90s.

#7 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:14 AM

Span is a player with whom the Twins have a win-win situation. If you keep him, he's got a good contract and he fills several needs (speed, leadoff, CF defense). If you trade him, he should bring back good pieces. It was noted in a few other threads what similar trades have yielded recently (Michael Bourn, Nate McLouth, Hunter Pence). The Twins should try to get a deal that beats those ( though the Pence deal probably will be hard to match). If they can't get an offer better than those, keeping Span is still good for the team. Doumit is a tough one, because he fills a lot of holes for the Twins as a switch hitter with power. His defense is not so great, and he's only on a one-year deal. If the Twins don't trade him, I bet they will give him another contract (or at least try to re-sign him). With Liriano and Pavano, is kind of the opposite of Span. They will not be cheap to re-sign when their contracts expire, and they are probably not worth much on the trade market right now. The Twins aren't likely to get much for either one, but they are probably worse off if they keep them (and probably would have been better served trying to trade them sooner, though that's really only in hindsight).

#8 cr9617

cr9617

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:16 AM

I don't know who all is out there for other teams, or what they need, but assuming the stars align right:

A healthy Pavano and/or Blackburn and Swarzak for Kevin Youkilis

Capps and Valencia for some starting pitching

Benson for a AAA or better SS

Nishioka for a spanish speaking sports psychologist

You couldn't trade Pavano, Blackey or Swarzak for anything of value, much less Youkilis.

#9 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,073 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:39 PM

I'm a Span Fan... I don't want to see him in another uniform. But... He has to be traded. For everyone that says you don't trade Span... I hear ya but he is the only player that can fetch a decent pitcher or potential young ace. That's why Span needs to be traded. Nobody else provides enough value to get value in return. If Capps keeps closing out games without incident. Capps may bring something decent. Maybe the Nats will take him back for RAMOS...

#10 Dilligaf69

Dilligaf69

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:06 PM

They won't trade Willingham nor should they...he a RH power hitter who is affordable and they won't trade Burton nor should they...he's cheap and effective. Capps, Span and maybe Morneau but I think they hang onto him until winter or next trade deadline depending on health. They need a backup catcher or maybe even a starter next yr, why not keep Doumit, he's versatile and can hit. Still have Duensing Burton and Perk as your late inning trio next yr. Can't trade everybody, they have to field a team next season unless a pkg of a few of these guys to a team this yr who is desperate to win(Rangers) then maybe but i don't see any great prospects coming back.

#11 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 611 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:46 PM

Youkilis is a pipe dream. That would require Buxton.

As far as trades go, I prefer the package method for high-level prospects or MLB pitchers. Right now, of the guys I want traded, only Capps probably brings a good return on his own.

FYI they could not trade Buxton if they wanted to the rules don't allow it. I am not sure the exact amount of time before a trade could be made, it might be something like 1 year. Not positive on exact length.

#12 MNFaithful

MNFaithful

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:44 PM

Denard Span / Alexi Cassilla / Alex Burnett to the Nationals for Ranks are their rankings in the Nats system Chris Marrero Rank: 9 Status: Rehab Assignment ETA: 2012 Position: 1B Age: 23, DOB: 07/02/1988 Bats: R, Throws: R Height: 6' 3", Weight: 220 Drafted: 2006, 1st (15) After five-plus seasons in the Minors, Marrero finally made his way to the big leagues, playing first for the Nats for much of the final month of the season. He's always had a decent bat with good power, though it hasn't always shown up consistently in games. Marrero has worked hard to become an adequate first baseman, and he might have received an opportunity to play there in Washington in 2012 if it weren't for a torn hamstring he suffered in winter ball. When Marrero gets back to full health, he'll probably have to head to Triple-A and wait for an opportunity. He began a rehab stint in early June. Other Lists: Top 10 1st Base Prospects (#6) This next guy is gone for the year with TJ surgery but he should be able to go in 2013 early Sammy Solis Rank: 8 Potomac Nationals (A+) ETA: 2014 Position: LHP Age: 23, DOB: 08/10/1988 Bats: R, Throws: L Height: 6' 5", Weight: 230 Drafted: 2010, 2nd (51) When on the mound, Solis has looked like one of the best lefty prospects in the game. The big problem has been avoiding the injury bug. A groin issue kept him back in extended spring training to start his first full season. He debuted at the end of May and quickly moved from the South Atlantic to the Carolina League, where he was very effective as well. Solis has always had a plus changeup, a very good breaking ball and outstanding fastball command. He added some velocity to that heater giving him the chance to be even more dominant, but he got shut down again, in the 2011 Arizona Fall League, because of an elbow problem, and then learned in February that he'd need Tommy John surgery, which will cost him the entire 2012 season. With Zimmerman and Rendon ahead of him I'd like to get this guy in our system he can mash 2012 Team G AB AVG R 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB OBP SLG OPS SAL HAG 60 204 .294 46 12 0 13 56 56 65 4 .442 .544 .986 Matthew Skole Rank: 19 Hagerstown Suns (A) ETA: 2015 Position: 3B Age: 22, DOB: 07/30/1989 Bats: L, Throws: R Height: 6' 4", Weight: 230 Drafted: 2011, 5th (157) After three years of putting up solid offensive numbers, particularly in the power department at Georgia Tech, Skole looks like he should be able to bring more of the same to the Nationals system. He hit well during his pro debut, showing an ability to hit for average and get on base while banging out a whole lot of doubles. The power started coming more during the start of his full-season debut, though the jury is still out on his ability to stay at third. If he keeps hitting like he has in the early stages of his career, his bat should be enough to carry him to the big leagues. Paul Demny Rank: 17 Harrisburg Senators (AA) ETA: 2014 Position: RHP Age: 22, DOB: 08/03/1989 Bats: R, Throws: R Height: 6' 2", Weight: 200 Drafted: 2008, 6th (181) A big, strong and durable right-hander, Demny finished off an up-and-down 2011 campaign with a very solid final month of the season, providing hope that something is clicking for the 2008 junior-college product. He has arm strength, with a fastball up to 94 mph, though his strikeout rate dropped this past season. He throws a slider and a changeup that are not as good as his fastball, and he’ll have to watch his command as he moves up. The 2012 season could be a big one for Demny.

#13 roger

roger

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 05:09 PM

FYI they could not trade Buxton if they wanted to the rules don't allow it. I am not sure the exact amount of time before a trade could be made, it might be something like 1 year. Not positive on exact length.

It is. Commonly thought to be until next year's draft, but I think it is a specified date shortly before the draft.

#14 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:09 PM

It is. Commonly thought to be until next year's draft, but I think it is a specified date shortly before the draft.

You have to wait 1 year after signing date

#15 stringer bell

stringer bell

Manager-in-Waiting

• Twins News Team
  • 4,470 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

This offseason has shown that holes in the lineup and bench can be filled with relatively cheap signings. The Twins picked up Doumit, Willingham and Carroll for less than Morneau makes. The offense is approaching average for the league despite getting minimal production from several spots. However, building a rotation is not so easy and it isn't cheap. The Twins need to acquire pitching with any trade they make, specifically starting pitching. It looks like Diamond is a keeper, but that is one of five spots in the rotation. There is no one else who is a lock (Diamond really isn't either) for next year. Perhaps Gibson will be avialable before the season is over, perhaps someone like BJ Hermsen, will make the large jump to the big leagues or perhaps Hendriks will establish himself. Regardless, I think the Twins need to acquire a pitcher at the deadline, sign a free agent and hope to find a couple in their system, including some that will get chances this year.

#16 Jim Crikket

Jim Crikket

• Members
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:14 AM

It kind of amazes me that people really believe that there are contending teams out there with "surplus" starting pitching prospects with top of the rotation potential that they're going to be willing to trade for anyone on the Twins current roster.
[COLOR=#0000cd]I opine about the Twins and Kernels regularly at[/COLOR][COLOR=#800000] Knuckleballsblog.com[/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd] while my alter ego, SD Buhr covers the Kernels for [/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd][COLOR=#800000]MetroSportsReport.com[/COLOR][/COLOR][COLOR=#0000cd].[/COLOR] [COLOR=#0000cd]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#b22222]~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~[/COLOR]

#17 Fire Dan Gladden

Fire Dan Gladden

• Members
  • 382 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 11:47 AM

Span will not be traded this year. Willingham will not be traded this year. Perkins will not be traded this year. Morneau may be traded, but I highly doubt it. Liriano will only go if the Twins get a decent pitching prospect. Doumit may be traded, though I see the Twins trying to resign him instead. Pavano will be traded. Valencia will be moved, but probably during the offseason.

#18 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,683 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 12:12 PM

Jim, Arizona has a good MLB rotation, and three of the top 20 prospects in baseball....all pitchers. I don't know what the package is, but that is one of the few teams that might, might, have excess starting pitching prospects. Atlanta might also, depending on how you feel about their prospects right now. I'd have to look into KLAW or BA rankings to understand if anyone else does. But yes, I too struggle to see how they get one of those guys. AZ is desperate for relievers, maybe Capps, Duensing, and Hicks for one of their pitching prospects (not Bauer, but Skaggs or the other one) would do it, but I don't know if either team would do that trade.
Lighten up Francis....

#19 Land Of 10,000 Beasts

Land Of 10,000 Beasts

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:53 PM

Valencia will be moved, but probably during the offseason.

I agree, although I'm afraid his value is only going to diminish. I'd say trade him now if we can a halfway decent pitching prospect, but don't just dump him for basically nothing like we did with Delmon Young.

#20 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,439 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 12 June 2012 - 10:57 PM

It kind of amazes me that people really believe that there are contending teams out there with "surplus" starting pitching prospects with top of the rotation potential that they're going to be willing to trade for anyone on the Twins current roster.

What about the Pirates? They seem to have good pitching and weak offense. A player like Span or Willingham could help solve their offensive problem.