Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Nice Story about Plouffe's Defense

range defense throwing
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 stringer bell

stringer bell

In the Twilight of a Mediocre Career

• Twins Mods
  • 8,042 posts
  • LocationElgin, MN

Posted 10 September 2014 - 07:47 PM

Here's a nice little story from the PP.Pretty complimentary to Plouffe.

http://www.twincitie...oved-play-field
  • Kirby_waved_at_me, Stan Zbornak and big dog like this

#2 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:43 AM

Gold Glove awards are often given to guys that also have big offensive numbers too - I think this year Josh Donaldson will win it for Third Basemen (and he's had a great year defensively as well). 

Plouffe is better than he used to be, that's for sure - the defense is improving and the doubles have been nice on the other side of things.

#3 Linus

Linus

• Members
  • 1,979 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 07:20 AM

I've never been a big believer in Plouffe but I really give him credit for getting better in all facets of the game when it looked like he might play himself out of the league.

The thing I've noticed is that his throwing is so much better than it was before.If he can continue to improve (and at his age it certainly is possible) he could be a valuable commodity if / when Sano needs a spot.While he is never going to hit homers like he did for that month a couple years ago, he certainly looks like a guy who can hit close to 20 homers, a bunch of doulbles and get on base at an acceptable level.

#4 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 448 posts
  • LocationNorth of Missouri, South of Minnesota
  • Twitter: Trimbletj

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:03 AM

I'm on record as being a big Plouffe supporter, so obviously I've loved watching his defense grow at third this season. He's gone from a prospect with no place to play to a real major league third baseman. He's changed his approach at the plate so he's not as pull happy - the result has been better contact, more doubles and a better rounded offensive threat.

His biggest detraction has always been the defense. This season, he's looked much more comfortable out there than he has in the past. He's made some very difficult plays look routine this season - plays that 2012 / 2013 Plouffe wouldn't have made.

I don't know that he'll ever win a Gold Glove, but if he keeps improving like we've seen, Plouffe can certainly be a valuable piece on the next contending Twins team.

#5 Physics Guy

Physics Guy

• Members
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:04 AM

Plouffe has turned himself into an adequtate to slightly above average all-around 3B (hitting and fielding).While a playoff caliber roster should not have him in the top half of its lineup, he certainly can have a role as the team gets better (hopefully).His production is pretty similar to what the '91 Twins received from Pags and Leius.

Edited by Physics Guy, 11 September 2014 - 08:06 AM.

#6 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 2,103 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 08:14 AM

From that article, it sounds like Plouffe is well-grounded in reality about his abilities, and works hard to make up for his shortcomings. I like that brand of professionalism.

• Riverbrian likes this

#7 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 19,635 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:00 AM

I've spent the last two years criticizing his defensive play. 

So Much so... That I won't criticize him this year. I'm not looking at defensive WAR... I'm just using my eyeball. He's moving right and he's moving left. He's getting to baseballs that he didn't get to last year. He's getting dirty when his uniform was clean in years past. He's making the majority of plays he should make and he's making a few plays that he shouldn't make.   

In order to fair... If he deserved criticism in past years and I think he did deserve it. In my mind... He deserves praise this year.  

The work that he has put in this year is noticeable to me.

I've always felt that players can and do get better. Trevor is an example of that.  

• diehardtwinsfan, Kirby_waved_at_me and Monkeypaws like this

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: range, defense, throwing