- Article: Fantasy Football Week 12 Rankings
Today, 12:05 PM
- Article: Adrian Peterson/NFLPA Submit Letter of Appeal to NFL
Today, 11:43 AM
- Peterson's Mea Culpa Tour Is Starting A Little Late
Today, 11:31 AM
- Would the Vikings have made the playoffs if Adrian Peterson was playing?
Today, 07:47 AM
- Article: Vikings are Young and a Bit Restless
Today, 07:00 AM
- What's the Vikings biggest position of need?
Yesterday, 09:18 PM
- Article: Green Bay's Recent Domination of Vikings Is Eye Opening
Yesterday, 08:52 PM
- Why Wouldn't Vikings Want AP Back Next Year?
Yesterday, 07:20 PM
- Article: Fantasy Football Pants Party Podcast - Week 12
Yesterday, 02:13 PM
- Article: Vikings Add Tate to Backfield
Yesterday, 01:28 PM
Article: Twins Draft Preview I
Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:13 PM
Aside from Ben Revere (who they were proven right in taking), when else since Adam Johnson have they signed someone below "slot" or to some pre-arranged agreement. They have gone over-slot in recent years on Gibson, Michael, Harrison and Boyd (plus later round picks like Williams, Higginbotham, Hermsen, Manship, etc.). They met slot on Wimmers, Hicks, Gutierrez, Parmelee and others.
I had Richardson on my podcast back when he was drafted by the Twins. Good guy, but I agree that I bet he wishes he had signed. Great athlete, but yeah, he's Revere-like in size. I talked to Pat Light back then, and he knew he was going to Monmouth at the time unless overwhelmed.
Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:30 PM
Signing "for slot", through 2011, was the exception in baseball, not the rule. Last year only 5 of the 33 first round picks signed for slot. In my mind, when you just "sign for slot" you're taking a discount. Wimmers was one of 10 to sign for, or less than, slot in 2010. Of those 15 total draftees, not many have even been a blip on the prospect radar. Deglin, Fotynewicz, Culver... I could go on. There have been a few - Chris Sale, for example, that turned out okay. Still overdrafted, in my opinion.
Starting in 2012, signing for slot is going to be the rule. But, as in the past, the Twins will be the exception and now that will mean signing guys for below slot. Of course, they'll will be exceptions (to the exception) and there will be guys they pay slot money, but again... it's all just one guy's opinion.