Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Twins All-Star Representative

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:52 PM

Who represents the Twins as an All-Star this season? Is it Willingham? - is it Mauer? - is it Capps? - is it ?????????????????? What are the TD participants' thoughts?

#2 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,743 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:12 PM

I still think it's Hammer, 18 doubles, 11 jacks, slugging .576 with and OPS of .986. Perkins could work his way in though.

#3 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,209 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:18 PM

If Diamond can keep his era under 2.00, I would argue that he deserves this. I also agree that Hammer should go.

#4 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:29 PM

[QUOTE=Bark's Lounge;23079]Who represents the Twins as an All-Star this season? Is it Willingham? - is it Mauer? - is it Capps? - is it ?????????????????? What are the TD participants' thoughts?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='twinsnorth49']I still think it's Hammer, 18 doubles, 11 jacks, slugging .576 with and OPS of .986. Perkins could work his way in though.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='glunn']If Diamond can keep his era under 2.00, I would argue that he deserves this. I also agree that Hammer should go.[/QUOTE]

Willingham would certainly be the most deserving pick and at this point Diamond has pitched very excellently, but with the competition and his lesser sample size that would be a surprise. Although I endorse Willingham as the representative, the competition at that position is usually loaded and I would not be surprised if a guy like Matt Capps slides his way in.

#5 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,209 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:38 PM

[quote name='Bark's Lounge;23088]Willingham would certainly be the most deserving pick and at this point Diamond has pitched very excellently' date=' but with the competition and his lesser sample size that would be a surprise. Although I endorse Willingham as the representative, the competition at that position is usually loaded and I would not be surprised if a guy like Matt Capps slides his way in.[/QUOTE']

Capps sliding in would enhance his trade value, but Diamond has pitched almost twice as many innings (38.2) as Capps (21.1). On the other hand, Capps has more experience in pressure situations.

#6 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:55 PM

Capps sliding in would enhance his trade value, but Diamond has pitched almost twice as many innings (38.2) as Capps (21.1). On the other hand, Capps has more experience in pressure situations.

Let me be frank - Diamond has pitched awesome and at this juncture has kept the Twins' season afloat to a certain degree. My angle is who you think will be the Twins Rep in the All-Star game and not who you want.:)

#7 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,209 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:05 PM

Let me be frank - Diamond has pitched awesome and at this juncture has kept the Twins' season afloat to a certain degree. My angle is who you think will be the Twins Rep in the All-Star game and not who you want.:)

If Diamond can keep his era under 2.00 and wins 4+ more games (preferably burning off lots of innings) before selection day for pitchers, I predict that he will make the all star team. But I agree with you that at this time, Willingham seems like the most likely selection.

#8 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:14 PM

If Diamond can keep his era under 2.00 and wins 4+ more games (preferably burning off lots of innings) before selection day for pitchers, I predict that he will make the all star team. But I agree with you that at this time, Willingham seems like the most likely selection.

Hey Glunn. We have more that a month to go before the All-Star game and if Diamond keeps going the way he is... you never know - it would be great and I would have no complaints if he was the Twins AS Selection. I hope my last thread comment didn't come off as crass or condiscending... it was meant to be greatly respectful!

#9 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,209 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:20 PM

Bark, I greatly enjoy our repartee and generally agree with most of what you post. Also, we are both Plouffetists. I was not offended in the least. We share many common goals, including Plouffe staging the greatest improvement of all time and winning the AL home run title. ;)

#10 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:28 PM

Bark, I greatly enjoy our repartee and generally agree with most of what you post. Also, we are both Plouffetists. I was not offended in the least. We share many common goals, including Plouffe staging the greatest improvement of all time and winning the AL home run title. ;)

Glunn... It's gonna happen - it is our will. As Plouffetists, the victory will be ours alone!!!:)

#11 glanzer

glanzer

• Members
  • 224 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:17 AM

Wieters, Napoli, and Santana probably make it at catcher ahead of Mauer, so my guess is Willingham. A case could maybe be made for Span if he's hitting .300 by then. I don't think Diamond will get serious consideration... I still don't think anyone outside of Minnesota knows who he is. Dark horse pick would be Burton.

#12 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Low Life with Upside

• Members
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 08:10 PM

Trevor Plouffe... let's get the ticket stamped... we are headed to Kansas City!